Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Infestation of Vampires

Author Topic: Infestation of Vampires
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In the bookstore I spend the most time in, the shelves are arranged so I pass by the Romance section before I get to Science Fiction and Fantasy. Occasionally I stop and browse. I've even bought a couple lately that seem associational SF or fantasy.

It's the "associational" part that intrigues me. In this unscientific survey method, it seems to me there are an awful lot of Romance novels featuring vampires, ghosts, or the undead in general.

What's the game? Realism exhausted? Sales improving by bringing in fantastic elements? The "Buffy" influence?

Any thoughts?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they call them "paranormal" romances, and they are doing very well in the market.

Basically, they are crossovers between horror/fantasy and romance.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, there's a large audience of women out there who've given up on human males
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't THAT the truth!
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Paranormal romance" is on the spine of an example I picked up. Also in the ad copy are: "New York Times Bestselling Author" and "[author] is a skilled writer." I'm a little bothered by how poorly written it is, but that's off-topic.

I remember when "horror" was a big section of the bookstore. Now it's reduced to about one set of shelves (Borders), or racked with "fiction" (Books-a-Million). And even when it has its own section, why are most of the books by Stephen King and Dean Koontz?

When did a once-proud category drop through the floor...and what's the point of masking it under another name?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
That question leads to a very long discussion with no good answer.

I can tell you the following:

1.) Yes, vampires are hot. Editors want vampires, and authors give them what they want. Erotica is on the rise. Paranormal Romance is a helthy genre to be in right now.

2.) Horror has always been the red-headed stepchild of the genres. No author wants to be pigeonholed as a horror writer, and horror fans hate that the spines have all been changed to say "fiction." The inherent problem is that "horror" is usually just an aspect of a larger story: a mystery, or a romance, or both.

You know, if bookstores shelved books by ambiance, maybe that would solve things. I for one would love to shop in a store with sections like, "Stories that will make you laugh" or "Memoirs that will make you cry" or "Really tough books that will take forever but you'll be glad you read" or "Cheesy romances with happy endings." It'd be fun, wouldn't it?

3.) Stephen King and Dean Koontz could be shelved under "Reference" and still hit the NYT Bestsller list. They're safe bets.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this is what Miss Snark meant when she mentioned that cross-genre is hot right now.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Vampire/non-vampire romance? Cross-mortality cross-genre AND cross-gender.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

With all these "crosses," maybe the vampires will go away...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.