Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How Long???

Author Topic: How Long???
endersdragon
Member # 4129

- posted      Profile for endersdragon   Email endersdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I am writing my story right now and it seems like no matter how much I try I can't seem to get it long enough. So I was wondering, about how many words should I have per chapter (the first chapter that I have so far is a quite exciting one, though a bit quick), if I plan to write for young adults.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it needs and not one word more.

That's truely not a flip answer. Just write it and worry about length and chapters later. Quick is good for chapters. Deciding where your chapters are and thier length is as personal a preference as writing it in the first place. Some authors have 2-3 page chapters, others are in the 10-15 page range. Setting, pacing and what needs to be in the scene should ultimately dictate the length.

If you are trying to write a novel and when you've finished can't seem to get to the 70K -120K mark, ask yourself if your story has enough depth for it.

Sometimes what we plan as novels are better as shorts. Sometimes a short takes on a life of its own and expands. Write it and worry if its a novella or full length novel later.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
"Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop."
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersdragon
Member # 4129

- posted      Profile for endersdragon   Email endersdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't think I could get to the 30 k mark the way I have been writing so far .
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've found it difficult to get much going outside of the short story form---ten thousand is usually the upper limit. The last story I actually finished came in at twenty-five hundred. Novel attempts got turned into short stories, chapters became short stories in themselves, and a bunch of novels never got past the first few chapters.

Then this last summer, I ran off fifty thousand words without ever getting close to any resolution. Nobody could be more surprised than I was---the idea wasn't even in my head until the day before I started it. There's more to go---now I worry about keeping up production levels. (I took a break at the beginning of this month, to try to get some perspective and make a few notes---I've done neither, and plan shortly to just take up where I left off and hope for the best.)

So just write, and let things find their own length. Setting a target isn't a bad idea---but be prepared to junk your targets under the right circumstances.

[edited 'cause I forgot to put in the third paragraph of semi-solid advice---plus I added a couple of sentences and words.]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited October 27, 2006).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You may not be writing a novel. You might be working on a novella or novelette. Both are fine endeavours.

If it makes you guys feel any better, my fiction used to top out at 3000 words max. I'm discovering that with experience, it takes me longer to say what I have to say. This happens for a number of reasons.

1. I have learned to show, not tell.
2. I get deep into the characters heads.
3. I write more effective description.

Item #2 is where I get the most word count. Whereas I once had trouble getting over 4500 words on paper, I now have trouble keeping under 6000.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersdragon
Member # 4129

Alas, I am an aspie (autistic, sorta..) so I can't really do that, that well .
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It will come.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersdragon
Member # 4129

If I could draw I probably could draw when he sees and feels very good. Sadly I in real life am not able to describe my own thoughts very well and no matter how much I get into my characters head that ability just isn't there , I know exactally what he is thinking and feeling, I just don't have a clue how to write it. Hints autism.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is ever able to perfectly put what they see in their head onto the page, it's not an autism thing. The good news is that practice helps. The more you write, the closer you'll get, but it will take time and lots of words.

My advice would be to complete your first draft and see how it turns out. Rewrites are great things for adding words, particularly if you are the type of writer who writes sparsely instead of padding your prose to begin with.

I also struggle with length, but I'm getting a lot better over time.

You are lucky in that YA's don't have to be terribly long. You can get away with as short as 40k, which really shouldn't be too hard to hit. Then, let it sit for a bit. Go back once the story isn't fresh in your mind, and try to read it as if you weren't the author. Can you still see everything vividly, from the words on the page? Chances are you'll need to add some descriptive prose in places if you've been struggling with 'white room syndrome'. Then, once you've combed over and fixed that draft to the best of your ability, let some readers crit it for you. They'll point out lots of other places that may need changes. By the time your novel has gone through a few re-writes, chances are good that the length will more closely resemble a novel.

And if it still ends up being too short, go for the novella market (admittedly difficult to crack) or simply chalk it up to practice and try again. After all, if you plan to make a career as a writer, you will be writing many books in your life.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersdragon
Member # 4129

Good advice but I just plan on writing for fun, if I get published all the better, and because of the topic matter of my story I hope someone writes one that does get published if not me. I will probably stop worrying about length so much now . You want to be the first to crit. all of it .
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
endersdragon, I would be very surprised if you are the only "aspie" here.

I have a writer friend who has been so diagnosed, and when she shared what she'd learned about herself to qualify, several of our mutual friends indicated that they thought they might qualify as well.

I mention this because one of those mutual friends said that he felt that writers who are "aspie" or aspie-like may work harder to understand others and that may help them to be better at characterization.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endersdragon
Member # 4129

Hmmm no clue but I suppose it could be true.

[This message has been edited by endersdragon (edited October 30, 2006).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.