Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sad Day

Author Topic: Sad Day
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
All those new story ideas I wrote while in Trenton on a laptop -gone! Lost, hopefully I can scour my mind for a trail or two and write them again...damn!
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Back up - Back up - Back up

"where is the gear shift on this computer?"

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Yeh, funny..I am like the greek myth about Before and After thought...only I am after, I thought about it after it happened.

"Hey, where's the any key?"

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
One time in college I was doing some research at the library and the computer told me to "Hit any key to continue." I spent a couple of minutes hitting keys and nothing happened. My boyfriend at the time, thinking he was being funny, said, "You have to hit the 'any' key." I glared at him and kept pushing buttons. Finally, after the third time he told me I needed to hit the "any" key, I said, "Fine!" I hit the 'a' then the "n' then the 'y'...and voila! the computer moved on to the next screen.

He just about fell on the floor laughing, "I told you you had to hit the 'any' key!"

Just so you know, these things aren't actually myths.

Sorry you had some bum luck with your computer. I always figure that the ideas worth keeping will still be there in your head and maybe when you type them out again, they'll be even better!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
You can pay to have someone recover them. I've done it (lost the darned document and paid a forensic person to recover from the copies still on the computer but not retreivable by me).

Either way, it stinks. Sorry

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is, you tried to create something good and beautiful (your ideas) in the vortex of evil (New Jersey). New Jersey is a force of evil too strong to be overcome by a single bright mind.

"Umm, there is no 'enter' button. Oh! Did you mean on the keyboard?" (I work in technical support...I didn't make that up.)

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies! Back in the olden days of "floppy disks" (pre-mini-floppies, CDs, memory sticks, etc.) I had written a novel that was 186 single-spaced pages. I had five readers giving me input on it and had worked through about four of their edits, saving everything to the hard drive. I was working very quickly, so backup didn't occur to me (at the time. . .). Then a thunderstorm came and crashed my computer. I had to go back and re-enter four whole-novel edits in that novel. Argh. . . . Now I save every chapter to both the hard drive and a memory stick many times per writing session!!!

Lessons learned the hard way stick with us best, I'm afraid. Sorry about your loss, but I'll bet that, like me, you'll never forget to back up frequently again!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
my coffee cup holder is busted
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that coffee cup holder story was apocryphal. And then I started working in tech support, and I discovered people really ARE that dumb.

"Type the web address in the address bar."
"Where is the address bar?"
"Do you see the bar that says 'address' next to it?"
"Yes."
"That's the address bar."
(Another real conversation from my job.)

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend who worked in Direct TV support fielded a call from a guy who said the sound was broken and the screen said "mutty" on it. When he realized he meant "mute" he about died trying not to laugh.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Lennon and McCartney had a strict songwriting policy: if they couldn't remember what they'd written, it couldn't've been any good, and it was better to forget it and work on something else.

I find writing down (and writing out) the idea and early development kind of nice, but, usually, when I write the actual story, I tend not to look at my notes.

[edited to insert a space between words]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited November 01, 2006).]

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Thanks for all the comments, you guys are the best! Robert you are absolutely right, its the same thing I tell my son when he can't remember what he wanted to ask - "must not have been that important then"

Jammrock
Member # 3293

- posted      Profile for Jammrock   Email Jammrock         Edit/Delete Post 
What happenes to the data? Deleted? Hard drive crash? Laptop stolen?
Posts: 136 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to Robert for finding a way to say that without sounding like a jerk. Comeing from me it would almost have certainly seemed more like "LOL U R suxxrs ROFL", which is honestly not something I wanted to say.

Anyway, you can take a page from everyone's book and turn this into a hilariously exaggerated "Man vs Computer" story. Heck, you might even manage to remember some of the story concepts you lost if you go over events in a creative mindset.

I remember posting my brother's "Boy vs Laundromat" story around here somewhere. Does anyone remember that? It's pretty funny. I also remember posting his "Minority Youth vs Grumpy Old White Man" story...good times

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I, too, used to write things down---at first, in a series of notebooks, then on assorted disks when I went computery. My idea-to-completed-story ratio was like, oh, one hundred to one in the notebook era...and more like ten to one in the computer era.

There's nothing wrong with writing your ideas down. I still write things down and try to work out how things would go---it helps me decide whether to go with it or not. Right now it's probably a five-to-one ratio---the ideas don't seem to come as fast as they used to.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.