Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novel planning

Author Topic: Novel planning
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
So,
I have been developing an idea for a novel, actually, a trilogy and everything is going swimmingly. I've scribbled pages and pages of notes in my little spiral notebook and still could write more.
The things that is bothering me is that I wonder how much is too much. Can you overplan a novel? Should I stop hammering out little details and just start writing. Or should I keep going until I have a complete blueprint of where this novel is going? What is are the non-negotiables to plan out before writing begins, and what should I let sort itself out in the process?
Any tips or imput would be appreciated.
-Wrenbird

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Planning is fine in its place, meaning it's better to have some kind of map of what's coming up than not to.

On the other hand, if you don't know what's coming up next, your characters, and ultimately your readers, might not be able to figure it out---and suspense and tension will be preserved.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, planning and detail (also known as world-building in Sci-fi and Fantasy), are essential... AND ongoing. No one wants to spend 100% of their time on world-building, when there is a story struggling inside you to be born.

The challenge is that not all of your world-building details will be apparent before you start drafting your story. You may get part way through the story and realize there are missing gaps in your plan or your outline.

Drafting a story is an organic process and there is no hard, fast rule for every author, OR for every story. You have to do what works best for you. My suggestion is that if you are stopping every few lines to try and puzzle out how your world works, then you need to spend some time crafting the detail. If you can write, unimpeded, for hours without stopping then it probably is fine to proceed with storytelling.

When I first began writing my story, I decided to begin with the basic elements. I knew that spirituality would be a factor in the final story, so I began with the mythos of the Creation for my world. From there, the social structure - a caste system - evolved. I crafted political alliances based on the social structure, and mapped the geography. Now I'm three years down the road and I've tossed out some of what I built, and there are huge chunks of the worldbuilding story that will never make it into the actual story.

But none of this was wasted effort, because I thoroughly UNDERSTAND the political and social system, and thus the motivation for the characters. It has made (some of) the writing a breeze in many ways.

I suggest you write backstory as long as you want to. Keep an ongoing file, and know you will be adding to it over time. When the story is ripe for beginning, you'll know... you'll have that itch to get on with it. Don't fret overmuch about which phase you are in. Just write. It's all good, and all serves your purpose.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a deeply personal question to which there is absolutely no correct answer. You have to do what works for you. Until you have practiced, you may not know what works for you. But take my word for it -- pro writers have done every level of planning from none at all to perfectly coreographed.

The trouble with overplanning is that you can lose interest in the project. The problem with underplanning is that you may get stuck. Writer's block (defined as having a project but not knowing how to keep it going) is usually brought on by underplanning.

I just finished a rough draft for a novel that I scarcely planned at all. I had a character, a setting, and an idea for an ending. Then I let her have some fun. It was actually a blast to write. Now, I'm going to have to rewrite it, but that's typical.

Do whatever feels right to you. You may be wrong, but you'll learn better on the next project.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I say just start writing. The whole point of the first draft is planning, and half the fun of writing is the really cool stuff that just comes out as you're writing that you never thought of when you were planning. Plan it too much, and the process of actually writing it will get kind of boring because there is nothing left to discover--you've already got it planned down to the smallest detail.

Imagine your book were an episode of "Full House." Nobody wants to read Bob Sagat. Be more like Uncle Jessie.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been through much the same lately, wrenbird. I've been making notes and putting ideas through their mental paces, and in some ways for me, it felt a bit like marking time, waiting. I was waiting for that feeling of "Go". It happened about two or three weeks ago, and so far, the writing is going well, now that I've gotten what felt a bit like a tap on the shoulder (mentally). That's what's worked for me.

I agree with Christine. You have to try different things to find what works for you.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are worried about screwing up, let me reassure you: you will. It's okay. Everyone goes through a process of trial and error. Don't let that stop you. Just follow your gut, or instincts, or whatever you want to call it. If you don't have any leanings one way or the other, pick some method that sounds interesting and give it a try.

For the record, so far I'm more on the side of 'planning is good' than 'spontaneity is good'. But I have a sort of theory. I could be wrong. My theory is that planning is almost always better near the beginning of your career, before you've internalized your own writing process. Once you have conquered this thing called 'novel-writing' maybe you'll be able to wing the next one and have good results. Maybe not.

There are far too many individual personality quirks and methods for me to definitively say 'this is so' about any particular method of writing.

Experimentation in lots of different types of writing methods is a good thing. Have fun.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the level of prewriting you do depends on what you enjoy/dislike. If you're fine with the possibility of rewriting your whole novel in a different tense, or finding out half way through you've picked the wrong MC, and you actively enjoy that stuff (you may be able to tell from my tone that I don't but that's purely me projecting my own preferences onto this) then planning doesn't really mean much.

I find planning helps me get to the finished product quicker. It certainly doesn't eliminate editing, but it moves a lot of it up front, while you're dealing with a much smaller document. Of course, you'll still miss stuff and have to add and delete scenes because a novel is an organic thing but it certainly reduces that.

As for the level of detail (which I think was your actual question) the first time I planned I tried to capture the emotional tone and outcome of every action, to jot down key phrases I though would be cool, etc, etc. The result was a long hard slog. The second time round I kept it very loose with minimal details and had a shed-load more fun.

I like to think of writing as finding my way between nodes (odd metaphor I know but that's how my brain works). I personally need at least two before I can start writing: the beginning and the end. Personally, I write better if I have more nodes to navigate between - places I know the story has to hit, but I can still improvise as I find my way between them. But there is an optimum number of these nodes and when I have more than that it stops being a journey of discovery and starts becoming more like a guided tour, which is not what I want from my writing. The trick is to find what your optimum number is.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all!!
Just reading your responses helped so much. I think I almost knew I was ready to start waiting, but I wanted someone to tell me "Just start already."
So thanks everyone. I truly appreciate it.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.