Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Believable dialects and dialogues

Author Topic: Believable dialects and dialogues
Shuizhuniurou
Member # 4118

- posted      Profile for Shuizhuniurou           Edit/Delete Post 
Since many of you were a great help with my first question, thought I'd give it a try and go for another.
In regards to using certain dialects, for example a young boy from Eastern Kentucky, when should the child's dialect be used? The story is written in the first person, and he doesn't have the stereotypical, thick country twang - but definitely has the accent - dropping the g with ing (for example - droppin'), and uses a lot of the local slang. But, when writing, how much should come out when he is narrating compared to actually having a dialogue or thinking out loud? For example - When in narrative - I was running - vs - I was runnin' I've only been dropping the g and also similar patterns (over til, ain't etc) in the dialogue, but stick with the local language during narratives as well. Worried that being overly grammatically correct in his narrative should not be done. Bottom line - how similar should the narrative sound to the dialogues?
Been 'busier than a cat tryin' to cover up crap on a marble floor' with this.
Thanks again,
Shuizhuniurou

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be out of fashion to write out dialects these days. The only recent exception I have firsthand knowledge of is sometimes in Card's Alvin Maker series, they will pretend to talk in dialect for humor. It just depends a lot on why.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited November 08, 2006).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered this question at length. The consensus answer is: use the same word choices he would (except if they make the story hard to follow), and mispell either no words or very few. Forget that dropping the "g," thing, people say -- and even Mark Twain had Huck Finn "going to" do things, rather than "goin' to" or "gone to" or "gonna."

I would easily write or understand

"You better stop messing with me."

"I thought I'd done died and gone to heaven."

Such as that.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 08, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 08, 2006).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just add that, if you haven't read it, you really should read Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain does a very good job (in my opinion) of writing in a thick dialect without making it difficult to read.

I'll also add that, based on the few little descriptions of your story that you've posted here, it sounds like an interesting read to me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
What I was told many times, is to have them start with the dialect words for a sentance or so, then shift to regular writing for the rest of the passage. That shows they are speaking a dialect, but also allows it to be easily read.

If the other person is not used to the dialect, one can have them ask to have it repeated periodically or slower, to remind the reader that there is an accent.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shuizhuniurou
Member # 4118

- posted      Profile for Shuizhuniurou           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, responded to the wrong post. Tried to erase, but not a leader, apologize and embarrassed.
Once again, some great advice everyone. Will just have to keep the questions coming!
Would agree, it could get a bit messy, dipping to deep in the local dialect. Just sticking with the grammar and local slang. The other half of the novella (believe that is the word to use - am learning new words everyday that are tossed around in the world of writing - I am floating around one of the farthest rings, just trying to hang on) takes place in China - and figured when the girl speaks - I'll stick with standard English (she really doesn't speak English, but for the reader's sake.)
Thanks again and Wet Willy (just had to wipe out my ear) I plan on heading to the library tomorrow for a bit of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. Will be a nice break from The 9-11 Commission Report - not exactly light reading.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to handle dialect without resorting to grotesque spelling that's difficult to read and easy to mispronounce. (I never got over reading one writer's dialect dialog with "oncet." Near as I eventually figured, it should have been pronounced "wuns't"...but my eye read it as "onset.")

I try to have my characters speak some variant of Standard English (whatever language they may theoretically be speaking), with assorted "y'all"s or "c'mon"s or "I'd'a"s or such...depending on the circumstances, of course.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.