Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Happy thanksgiving

Author Topic: Happy thanksgiving
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to say thanks for the past years of support and friendships I have discovered here and that I just wanted to wish each of you a happy thanksgiving (Even if your country doesn't have it as a holiday- I'll just-uh-!! I'll just eat extra just for you!)

Although it is supposed to be turkey we are having Lasagna. Saturday we will have turkey.

Thanks to everyone that makes this community of writers possible.

Happy Thanksgiving!
JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Same to you, JBSkaggs. You and all the others like you are the ones who make this place possible.

So Happy Thanksgiving (and happy just plain ordinary days as well) to all of you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving to all. I had to clean my house up...well, I moved a bunch of stuff from the living and dining rooms to my other rooms, then shoved the bookcase overflow up against the too-full cases. My extended family dines at my house these days because, when I put the extra leaves in my table, I have the largest.

But it beats Christmas Eve, where I have to do all that and cook the traditional Christmas spaghetti...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

- posted      Profile for PatEsden           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving to all. My husband and I do an open house at our country store on the first weekend in December, sort of a Happy Thanks Christmas for the community. If you're in northern Vermont feel free to drop in. There's hot cider on the woodstove, venison chilli and this year a chocolate fountain--and any free food that shows up and musicians.

aka: Kickle

[This message has been edited by PatEsden (edited November 23, 2006).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out for those chocolate fountains. The chocolate is wonderful, but if something chances to get caught in the flow, the whole thing can destabilize and flip chocolate all over the place (we know this from experience).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
And cleaning them after use involves removing a pretty significant amount of liquid chocolate...mmmmmmm. I'm thankful for a lot of things, among them my Madlax DVDs (and the wacky soldier who gave them to me).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

Now I'm visualizing my dogs(large retrievers) running through the store covered in dripping chocolate
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hmm. That's another scary thought. I believe chocolate is poisonous to dogs.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
MMMM chocholate covered turkey!

I had Lasagna too, it's like the national secondary dish (my turkey runs sunday.)

Just adding my Thanksgiving Happy-ness. (as well as a vigorous Black Friday.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sick right after eating on Thanksgiving...was sick at work Friday morning...was sick before going in this morning and called in. Either last week's lingering cold or my usual stomach upsets...or maybe just too much rich and greasy food.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
A belated Happy Thanksgiving from Alaska! And a early Happy Holidays to all! I may not be back in time to send holiday greetings, so I wanted to say it now!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

Well, it didn't kill my dog when he ate a whole $25 box of Moonstruck chocolates wrapped as a present under the Christmas tree. Although I wanted to kill him... by the time I replaced them, that gift ended up costing me $50.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner Saturday because my daughter, who is now an RN, had to work on the holiday. We spent our day being grateful that the stroke my mother had a week ago was pretty minor. And today I woke up to discover it's snowing outside.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJSanders
Member # 4346

- posted      Profile for KJSanders   Email KJSanders         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate is toxic to dogs, but they have to eat enough of a chemical called theobromine for it to be hazardous. It depends on the size of the dog, the dog's individual sensitivity, the amount of chocolate eaten, and the type of chocolate. Semi-sweet and baker's chocolate have more theobromine per ounce than milk chocolate. White chocolate doesn't contain much at all. Theobromine affects the nervous system, the cardiovascular system and the peripheral nerves. My dogs have gotten into chocolate before too, so far they've not had a reaction. I try to keep it from them, not only so they won't get sick, so I can eat it myself.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

I've shown my dogs this thread and told them to keep their milk bones out of the chocolate fountain.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
One should keep in mind that dogs have limited linguistic capabilities. What you say isn't necessarily what they hear.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol is poisonous to humans. On a somewhat unrelated note, I recently heard of a marine who actually went into shock from a wad of chewing tobacco. I never thought it had the potential to kill instantly (though he was successfully resucitated.) It's one of those things that if you tried to use that in a story, people would think you were a naive prig.

"I have spent the last five years building up a immunity to Theobromine powder."

That would be an odd story, if someone was off chocolate for a certain number of years, and then tries one of these 70% cocoa bars and goes into shock. That's dumb enough to be believable.

Anyway, I was grateful for The Settlers of Catan. We probably played 7 games over the weekend.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.