Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "magic" system

Author Topic: "magic" system
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an idea and want to bounce it off you all.

Most people are born brimming with life. They are in effect 100% full of life. There are exceptions, birth defects, degenerative diseases and so on. Over time life recedes and the body breaks down. Death distends as life recedes. In effect, a middle age person is probably at 70% life (positive) energy and 30% death (negative) energy. The recession of life energy quickens as a person gets older. Eventually the negative energy extiguishes the life energy completely.

That is the natural order of things. But there are a few that can manipulate the ratio of positive and negative energy in their bodies. They can siphon life out of others to regain youth or heal a wound. The new life energy essentially forces death back. It is the inverse for the victim. Death gains ground and can eventually overtakes them if enough life is siphered.

When attempting to heal anothers wounds or ails the "soulcater" can either force life into the wounded or pull death out. However when pulling out death it is stored in the soulcaster, thus aging or wounding or causing someother degenerative effect until the soulcater can release it into another living being. Equally detrimental to a soulcaters health would be to give his own life energy to the wounded. The most common way to heal someone is to siphon the life energy out of a plant or animal or perhaps a criminal sentenced to die anyway and release that into the wounded.

Bottom line is, our bodies are like soul batteries. Except, we are always at 100% energy. You cannot store more than 100%. If the soulcaters ration is 50 points positive, 50 points negative, then he can sipher only 50 points of positive energy from a victim. And it begins to degrade immediatley at a pace determined by his true health. A soulcater that is 80 years old that has 8 points of positive energy left can siphon 92 points total out of a person or many people. He would regain his strength, a bit of his youth but may age at a rate of 1 year every half hour until he is right back at his true health.

Once a body dies (reaches 100% negative energy), the energy slowly fades until the body has no energy at all. The energy is captured and recycled by the earth. A tree's energy does the exact opposite of an animal. It continues to grow positive energy. An ancient tree may have the life energy equalled to a hundred men.

Back to dead bodies. When a body is empty it is called a husk. Life energy can be forced into these husks to animate them. They retain no memory of self and look to the soulcater to give them basic intructions. They are essentially mindless zombies. The more "whole" a dead body is, the longer the body will hold a life charge. The more recent the death the better.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that. If you have any questions or note any inconsistencies please let me know. I really appreciate your help. Oh...and if you have seen anything like this before let me know also. As far as I know this is an original thought (as original as anything can be these days).

Scott

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 22, 2006).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonVaughn
Member # 4358

- posted      Profile for JasonVaughn   Email JasonVaughn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it.

It's always bugged me when 'healers' seem to be able to heal as many people as they want as often as they want with no satisfactory (in my opinion) explanation as to where all the energy is coming from. I also like the fact that there seems to be a balance. Life energy can't just come from nowhere.

I haven't heard of this idea before but to be honest I'm fairly new to fantasy so I haven't read that much yet.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot will depend on just how the future zombie died. Most people die because of some kind of "damage" (wounds, illnesses, poisons). If your thesis of reanimation is based on a body holding a "life charge" longer if it's "whole," it may be hard to come up with a body that is whole enough to last for any length of time.

There's damage-after-death to consider, too. Autopsy, embalming, mummification...the body might seem intact at a casual glance, but really isn't. I guess these would be useless. (Might be a justification for performing the process, so that they can't be made to get up and walk around again.)

Bart Simpson: Hey, Grandpa, do you ever wonder if your dead buddies get up and walk around at night?

Grandpa Simpson: If they're anything like me, they have to get up twice.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
In the worlds I work with, Magical energies (manna) are ambient in the environment. One only needs to know how to effectively gather that energy. Of course, some people have better storage than others, and then of course, one has to know how to use it. If you cannot use it, gathering it is like not having any.
In this case, Magical healers are as good as their ability to gather energy, and then make use of it.
A person might heal thousands of people without real physical damage. It may be exahusting to gather the magic, though, or long times might happen as they absorbe the energies.

I do love your idea of the soal catcher. It is like the Sin Eaters I heard about, where people will eat a meal before the dead, and absorb their sins so they can go to heaven.
My biggest question is why they would do it. People want to live and don't want to shorten their life without some form a gain.

One thing in the story might be where a scandal is created where the soul catcher refuses to help someone very important, because he knows it will not do good. Other powerful people are demanding he give his life to this person to keep them alive.

A soul catcher might work beside a team of medical people, including surgens, and they work as a team to repair the injured. After the others have done their work to reduce the damage to the person, the soul catcher applies his powers to finish the job. Of course, he might use his powers to keep the injured above a given level during treatment.

The real use of this from what I see is during war. You draw soul energy out of captured soldiers and put it back into your soldiers to make them heal faster. There, the soul catcher could apply himself a lot of times in a short period of time.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Robert-your absolutely right. The embalmed corpses would be useless , as would decapitated or cremated bodies.

As far as destroying the husk once its animated, physical damage only speeds up the leaking life charge. Once its empty the corpse would simply drop to the ground.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Everybody seems to understand the concept so far so thats fantastic.

I have heard input about the animation and the healing of others but what of the use of death energy. I was thinking that a soulcatcher (Not sure about the name and willing to take suggestions) can pull death out of the dying and healing them to boot, as well as, use it to damage or kill others. Or the SC could kill someone, siphon some of the negative energy from them and use that.

Also I was thinking that with time perhaps the SC can learn to direct the energies in a specific manner. Using life to stitch wounds or break fevers, death to give diseases or tear flesh.

Keep the ideas coming guys. Yuou all rock.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the 100% rule...presumably it only applies to an intact body, one that isn't injured in some way. The particular thing I was thinking about was what overt actions would be necessary to pull positive energy out of someone/something.

Also, that 100% should differ in absolute quantity for different types of living creatures ("An ancient tree may have the life energy equalled to a hundred men.") and probably would differ slightly in between organisms of the same class/species. But I think that you mean that the total death/life energy of a living organism, and the percentage of life energy relative to that, would be determining factors of retaining additional energy.

In other words, a child growing up would be like a tree, simply increasing in life energy without accumulating much death energy. Then shortly after adolescence or puberty the total life energy stops growing and death energy begins to accumulate. For a time this actually makes the organism tougher and more resistant to injury, but the actual ability to heal isn't increasing and over time begins to decrease.

I suppose that in terms of this system someone like me would technically be considered 100% death energy

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Survivor,

You pointed out a something that Im almost ashamed I didnt think of myself.

A child would be like a plant. Growing and with that growth comes additional life energy until adulthood. This is where life would begin to recede and death would fill in the gap. Originally I intended a baby to have the same ammount of life energy.... actually, more life energy than an adult since they would be at 100%.

I did also intend different organisms to have varying total ammounts of energy in them. For instance, a soulcaster could drain the life out of a cute little bunny rabbit to heal a flesh wound.

"For a time this actually makes the organism tougher and more resistant to injury, but the actual ability to heal isn't increasing and over time begins to decrease."

I dont understand what you mean about the ability to heal decreasing over time. The ability to heal would increase with time. The catch being that the life charge would have to be drained from an external source and forced into the wounded individual.

scott

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 20, 2006).]

Ash
Member # 4615

- posted      Profile for Ash   Email Ash         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I actually had a thought on creating a magic system myself, but entirely different, and definately not yet ready to show. What brought it to mind was the idea that you could pull death out of someone, or push life into them, with different results. Which brings to mind a problem: all beings are presumably opperating at 100% energy at all times, the fluctuations being only in the proportions of death energy to life energy. If this is so, then when a soulcaster forces healing into a being, where does the death energy go? Into the soulcaster? Oh, of course. Nevermind, I suck at math: you take life from yourself, and put it into another, and you have a deficit, which the free death energy after the casting can fill perfectly. Makes good sense.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discipuli
Member # 3395

- posted      Profile for discipuli   Email discipuli         Edit/Delete Post 
Positive and negative cancel out , basic math . This magic system sounds like a mix of the traditional squaresoft ''Gaia/ Mako energy'' and Naruto's Chakra , not that you borrowed from both, but you should read up on both systems to get ideas.
You'd have to take into consideration that different people have different levels of energy in them , the more the have ,the better they would be at magic. Body mass and other factors could come into play : If i heal my pet cat on the verge of death, doesn't mean i have to age 15 years, a cat would need less energy.
Great idea though

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You can always use death energy to "heal" things...
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Discipuli,
Thats exactly right. There will be a number of factors in determining the total energy of a being. Body mass, health, strength of will etc.

survivor,
Hmmm...Death energy to heal things. Death energy is negative. Adding negative energy would further injure a body. Do you have an idea how to make that work?

Survivor
Member # 213

That's why I put it in quotes

Seriously, you could selectively injure/impair life functions like nerve or immune function to treat a lot of common ailments. What is a painkiller but a "killer" of vitally important nerve signals? What does an anti-histimine do other than disabling your body's natural defenses against intrusion? What is Botox but deadly poison?

But less seriously, I was mostly just kidding, which is why I said "heal"

trailmix
Member # 4440

Kidding or no, it does have possibilities. In fact, I believe it is just that kind of thinking that could make for an interesting soulcasters duel. It would be more akin to using a rapier instead of a battleaxe.

I was also thinking about the possibility of telepathy by transferring energies. Very much like TCP/IP networking. The soulcaster loads information into miniscule "bits" of energy, alternating between positive and negative as to not harm himself or the recipient and sends them to the recipients brain. Likewise an "evil" soulcaster could rip the memories from a victims mind by not alternating between positive and negative energies.

Any thoughts?

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that you'd want to stay with the basic idea of your system. For instance, an old man who tranferred his death energy based insensitivity to physical pain would have to deal with heightened sensitivity to pain for a while, till his death energy recovered back to its natural level. Maybe telepathy would be more empathically based in your world, perhaps with some kind of overt act required for the reciever to accept a token of life/death energy at a distance (use of a talisman, a meditative/prayer ritual, or some physical bond like shared blood).
trailmix
Member # 4440

I like the idea of shared blood having an affect on the Soulcasters abilities.

Until now I intended most if not all the powers to require touch or an organic link of somekind, like a wooden staff or a vine. But perhaps blood itself could be a natural link. Therefore energy can be transfered from a greater distance.

As for your exapmple of the oldman giving his insensitivity to pain to another, I prefer the idea that any form of negative energy could be used for that act. I call these "surgical" uses of the Soulcasters ability. The idea is that the soulcaster can not only transfer the energy but also direct its use. Of course, this is learned over time, not inherent. For a soulcaster to use the energy in this way the he/she would have to know how the human body works. Perhaps a soulcaster with medical training would be able to direct any of his/her negative energy to perform the task but a soulcaster without would simply do as the elderly soulcaster did in your example, just do a one-for-one swap.

trailmix
Member # 4440

Still looking for input. Does anyone see any wholes that havent been addressed in the comments.

Below is a link to the first 13 that go along with this.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum11/HTML/002367.html

Survivor
Member # 213

Interesting pun there.

I suppose that for me, inconsistencies in a magic system usually take the form of "expliots" that your system logically allows but which would unbalance the story or setting. Since your system is inherently based on local transfer of internal life/death energy with some loss at each transaction, it seems pretty robust against most kinds of "abuse" as long as you stick pretty strictly to the basic rules.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.