Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Victorian Travel Using Modern Travel Guides

Author Topic: Victorian Travel Using Modern Travel Guides
611lady73
Member # 4581

- posted      Profile for 611lady73   Email 611lady73         Edit/Delete Post 
I might note that I have had a bit of trouble using new travel guides when referencing travel subjects in my stories. For one, I have to eliminate quite a bit, because most of the hotels, etc. will not have existed in the 19th century. Then, I have to look for things that would have existed then. Churches often are of interest, especially in Europe, where you have many that date back to the medieval era or Renaissance. The appearance of those things I might note on, as only the present appearance of buildings, etc. are shown and I find that I might have to look elsewhere to find the appearance of a certain building in my era.
lois

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You should just make stuff up. Only refer to a truly "historical" location if it is famous enough to be noted as having existed since a specific date (or is prehistoric).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you use a real location, you should at least find some maps of it. I remember once taking a description in a Heinlein story ("The Year of the Jackpot"), and followed the route his characters took on a roadmap. It all worked out splendidly...mmm...I think I'll reread the story...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
611lady73
Member # 4581

- posted      Profile for 611lady73   Email 611lady73         Edit/Delete Post 
I use National Geographic maps I have collected for the purpose and draw out the route of travel. Since my characters are soon ready to return home, they will soon be ready for a set of adventures set at the old Chatsworth estate. I have a unique arrangement of tenancy here. Since Chatsworth is so large (house and estate) I made up a living arrangement with the actual owner (Duke of Devonshire). Besides, the Duke has at least another house, Devonshire House in London, so it would make sense to have characters at Chatsworth tending it for him.
lois

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
have you ever...by way of interest... taken a look at census records of the period in the areas for which you are interested //my question mark key stopped working...sorry//

if you are doing some seriously intricate research it is a real eye-opener as far as changing demographics ie racial mix, class, professions etc, also street names change old dead-ends are opened up things like that.

now my shift key is gone...

too much christmas sugar ground into keyboard.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's just sick and wrong. And mind you, I'm eating raw chunks of dipping chocolate as I type this, and squishing any ants that try to interfere even if they happen to fall into my keyboard as a result. But at least I don't end up disabling my keyboard. Of course, if I did, I always have a backup handy. Several, in fact.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annabel Lee
Member # 2635

- posted      Profile for Annabel Lee   Email Annabel Lee         Edit/Delete Post 
Having written my dissertation on 19th century travel literature, I can tell you that there are an awful lot of old guide books (in many places dating back more than 2 hundred years - they‘re not a 20th century invention) out there containing everything you need to know to be completely historically accurate. Especially if you can get to the locations concerned and check out the city's central library, university library, records office or local history society - or you could write to them and ask if a local historian could help you - I‘m sure they could tell you quite accurately what people would have done for amusement in their area during just about any time period. For really popular destinations, which would have spawned huge amounts of literature, there might even be sources to buy old guides or descriptions through the internet.

Such books are often illustrated with woodcuts of local places of interest (not always amazingly accurate, however, but you get some sense of how things might have been), and many contain useful advertisements for local restaurants, hotels, transport links, entertainments, etc.

There may also be references in literature of the period to what visits to that location were like - think Jane Austen and Bath.

For somewhere like Chatsworth, a house that has been open to the public for hundreds of years, and it is also interesting architecturally (and beautiful) should appear in nineteenth century descriptions of the peak district - it should be technically possible to find a floor plan somewhere.

For roads, again studying older maps are the only way you’re ever sure to get it completely accurate, as roads move around a lot, even in Europe, and what is now a main road might have been a cow track a hundred years ago.

If you desperately want to find out these things, there are always ways and means.

But to be honest, speaking as an historian, I'd probably make most of it up.

[This message has been edited by Annabel Lee (edited January 02, 2007).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.