Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Narration in a story

Author Topic: Narration in a story
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been working on a story for quite some time but I have encountered some difficulties. My dialogue is fine, it seems to flow naturally and when read aloud it sounds and feels as though it fits. And I have the plot for the story with events in the order that I want them. But the narration gives me a bit of trouble. What are some basic guidelines for writing with narration?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Do it from inside the POV character's head, in the character's voice, at times, to the point of stream-of-consciousness.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
One trick is to write the narrative in first person, then go back and change it to third person by altering it as little as possible. Some authors do this to penetrate deeper into the third person POV.

I was accused of having written a story in first person once when it clearly wasn't -- the critiquer had simply remembered it as such.

I took it as a compliment.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.