Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Why do you Write?

Author Topic: Why do you Write?
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I write to tell stories.
I write because it's invigorating to my imagination.
I write to explore my own creativity.
I write to find the depths of my memories and imagination.
I write for fun.
I write to give others pleasure.
I write because I want to.

How about you?
Why do you write?

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go again.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I write solely because I am compelled to at gun point.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Because ronging sucks?
Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grijalva
Member # 3295

- posted      Profile for Grijalva   Email Grijalva         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because I love to do it, it's fun.

Whats ronging?

Posts: 98 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
My reasons are my own, but also like so many others.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whats ronging?

The opposite of writing (it's a pun on right and wrong).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm training myself to be a just and merciful killer, rather than just a dangerous but unstoppable lunatic. Umm...and I want to be loved by millions of adoring fans...perhaps even married to one of them. Yeah, that's it. It's all for the sake of my future children.

Posterity, you could say

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Because it's the most significant thing I feel I can do, and possibly get paid for.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because my stories have captured my imagination, and the only way to be able to follow them fully (for me, anyway) is to get them down on paper.

I'm VERY A.D.D., so I can't just thing about something and voila, there, it's done! Only when I write it down can I fully enjoy the fruits of my disjointed and easily-distracted mind! lol

If someone else gets a kick out of it too, then the more, the merrier!

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slartibartfast
Member # 4673

- posted      Profile for Slartibartfast   Email Slartibartfast         Edit/Delete Post 
I have delusions of grandeur
Posts: 36 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
For the money. (Though there hasn't been any.) For the glory. (Well, there hasn't been any of that, either.) And because it seemed a cool thing to do when I took it up. (Still does, but it's more a matter of habit now.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cobane
Member # 4520

- posted      Profile for cobane           Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't write, I feel sick. The keyboard is my heroin.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

hehe I love all your responses. I enjoy learning about people in ways like this. ^_^
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a terrifying suggestion whether or not it indicates that you're taking us seriously.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
My ultimate goal is to able to write like Survivor.

GQX54i\[]p7..bQ#sldskf!

I think i left something out. I'm still learning.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel it's my calling from God. But He may just mean it for my personal betterment. Nowhere did He say I'd be published or famous during my lifetime.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because there's nothing good on TV.

Also, to keep my grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills sharp for that day I finally snap and start writing stalker letters to the Hollywood elite. After all, why pine from afar, when you can pine from up close?

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited January 09, 2007).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because I bet a thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters I could beat them in a race to get published...they are in the lead.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because I do so enjoy my own thoughts, I hope someday others may enjoy them too.

I like to be heard, I am a professional speaker and like attention and approval, who doesn't.

I like to set and chase goals, I may lose the desire to write at all ones I get published, on to the next impossible mission, who knows.

Oh and I want to grow up to be just like Survivor too <wink>.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Of course, the joke is that a thousand monkeys at a thousand keyboards will eventually produce every work ever written, as there are only so many combinations of words, but that the internet has now proven that untrue.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
That... and the fact that monkeys aren't completely random.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arveliot
Member # 4734

- posted      Profile for Arveliot   Email Arveliot         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because the alternatives are all much, much worse.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
*sigh*
I love this forum.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GalaxyGal
Member # 4755

- posted      Profile for GalaxyGal   Email GalaxyGal         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this is a writer's forum, allow me explain why I write with a little story.

Once upon a time Common Sense was walking down the street when he met a woman named Vain Hope. Vain Hope pulled out a gun and shot Common Sense in the head. Common Sense lived, but he is now permenantly paralyzed, unable to fend for himself. Vain Hope is on America's Most Wanted list. She is wanted dead or alive, but preferrably dead. As of this date, she continues to elude authorities.

The morale of the story is: I write because I have a lot of hope, but no common sense. Ha!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

LOL! Great story! ~_^
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody at work pinned up on a bulletin board a faux obituary for Common Sense along those lines.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because horrid things occur if I do not.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because I spend most of my time alone. Pyre Dynasty, I'm curious, what are the horrid things you speak of that occur when you don't write?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Why write? One may ask why Breathe and I could give you a coherent answer, but writing is like placing a bit of your soul on a page and hoping that some one else thinks it is worth reading.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
I write because I was an introvert born into a family of storytellers.

It's hard to carry on the oral tradition if you're afraid to talk to people the first 25 years of your life.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

Well, for a long time I convinced myself it was my only way to make a living so I'd better get good at it. But then it was making me miserable because I can't seem to produce a work greater than anybody in the history of this planet ever wrote, and it takes so long to produce anything even acceptable to me. But then if I stop writing it feels like a cop-out, so I feel I should write in case that is what I am meant to do and quitting is just a cop-out. If I don't succeed I hope the world isn't missing anything truly brilliant.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.