Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Muscling past parts that aren't as interesting to the writer

Author Topic: Muscling past parts that aren't as interesting to the writer
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
The Obvious: I'm writing a book! (LOL)

I know that part of my problem is a teenie tiny attention span, however, I am at the stage in my writing where all of the parts that have really caught my fancy have been fleshed out and are written, and now I'm going from beginning to end, trying to write the rest of the stuff.

Where I'm having difficulty is in writing the "Connective Tissue" stuff. The part of the story that ties everything in together, and makes what is going to happen in the second book possible. I have the basics worked out, but my problem is that even though I know what is going to happen, I'm not terribly interested in that part of the story, and it feels feeble and overly-convenient to me.

I dislike politics, and part of this is politics. I also dislike books that ramble on and on and don't get anywhere (a certain Robert Jordan book will remain unnamed...hee hee hee). I know that it's nice to know what's happening as it happens, but sometimes I feel as if it's better to just skip over this, that and the other, and summarize in the next chapter.

How much of that is me being ADD, and how much do you, as a reader want to know about? If I know that the reader wants all that detail, it might make writing it all out a little easier for me. If it's not necessary (and i realize that that sort of advice is hard to give without having seen the story I'm writing) then it frees me to go on and continue working the rest of the book.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
To tell you the truth, Momma, I hate politics too. I tend to gloss over them, even when reading the most talented author. But some folks do love all that intrigue. (Those are undoubtedly the folks who are also good at writing it.)

My 2 cents -- if it's boring to you, it's going to be boring to your reader. Figure out a way to make it interesting, or figure out a way around it.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erpagris
Member # 4718

- posted      Profile for erpagris           Edit/Delete Post 
You could ask somebody else to do it...
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a similar problem with a novel of mine that's now in perhaps the 10th draft, final editting stage. The problem I had was that my novel had 3-4 different storylines (different characters who all meet up near the middle) and I just plain liked some characters more than others, so I always had a tendency to half-skip through the non-favorite character chapters so I could write my most favorite people/scenes more often.

The result was that the characters I didn't like quite as much had chapters that were uninteresting, and the readers I could find to comment discovered as much immediately. "It's like I can tell you don't care about this character" someone said, which made me recognize consciously what I was doing subconsciously.

If you are "drudging" through material in your novel that you think is necesarry, but that you also think is boring or uninteresting, the reader will pick up on that and become bored as well. In my case I had to go back and rediscover those other POV characters so I loved them all, which I now do, so I gave the same passion and flare to every chapter. The same thing will apply to you. If you don't find a way to find the politics, or the connective tissue, (or however you want to phrase it) INTERESTING TO YOU, your lack of motivation will transfer into the text itself, and you'll lose your reader.

All this is a long way to agree with Alethea. IF it's so crucial to your story, discover why it's interesting. If it's still not interesting, reconsider why it's crucial to your story.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I find that I struggle when I haven't thought a scene through completely in advance, or I'm just lazy to write the scene. I muscle through it and it flows just like everything else.

Then again, it's pretty much been proven fact than I do things different from just about everybody else.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Can I get somebody else to write the parts of the story that are boring or concerning characters I don't understand as well, and me just write the good bits about the main characters?
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the negative vote, but I don't think you will be able to have someone else write in the duds, as you will need to connect all characters at some point and in some manner, even in a small way. You know how characters have minds of their own, well... They will connect in their small enigmatic ways that is not obvious, but the chemistry, good or bad, will show through if you've mastered the connective tissue, as you call it. Only you know how you want them all to affect each other, and if they don't they are not moving your story forward and serve no purpose.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Chaldea

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I forgot to ask if you've ever worked with character bibles. For each charcter, you explore every detail of that person on a fill-in-the-blanks type form. I have the form I can pass on to you if you want. Then when it comes to putting in that character, you know exactly how s/he will react to a situation, based on what you put down for their appearance, personal history, behavior, likes, dislikes, etc. Many authors have entire bibles for each character for each book they've written. The form is lengthy, but well worth filling out because everything you want to know about your cast is right there. Then you don't have to think about it again.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, character profiles are just a fun way to waste lots of time. If you want to get to know your character and how she'll react to something, write her in a scene and have her react to something.
Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that when I write the "good stuff" and leave the "connective tissue" for later, I wind up with the story dying on me and my winding up with something I can't finish enough to send out. So I usually stick with pushing through straight from beginning to end, even though the roadmap from point to point tends to be vague and often the ending is uncertain. (I've experimented with starting in the middle and writing out to either side, though. I've actually finished some of those.)

Length is an issue. My last story finished-enough-to-submit was about twenty-five hundred words long---in something that long, it's harder for "bad stuff" to hide and I can get to the end relatively easy. In a novel, I might start with a good bit, and know there's a good bit coming up somewhere in the middle---but I've got to plow through a lot of bad bits before I get there.

In my current-stab-at-a-novel, I'm trying to write without knowing too much about what's coming up. I'm ten chapters in...I know what will happen for sure in the next one-and-a-half chapters, with only a few ideas past that. (Even that changes---originally I was going to put a bunch of characters in the middle of a fight and then take them somewhere, but I thought of something else and am now separating two characters---the lead and another---and putting the two of them through the fight and place taking.)

I could easily wind up writing myself into a corner I can't get out of---but so far this has produced more words and pages than at any time since the early eighties, so I plan to stick with it for a while longer.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Momma, this is what betas or writing partners are for, I think. If you know someone who's good at bouncing ideas around with you, talk it through with them, or if they can write, get them to sketch things out to help prompt your own muse. Or let them write that stuff and find a way to make both parts match well enough to be one novel.

I don't work that way, though. I plow through (almost wrote "plough" - been writing too much Brit English! Ack!) from beginning to end, although if a scene from somewhere far down the road pops into my head fully blown, I will write that scene and set it aside. When I get to that scene's spot in the novel, I plug it in and adjust it to make it fit. On rare occasions, these scenes just don't work, if the characters have taken over the novel and gone a different way. In that case, I save the scene for some future project (such scenes are usually a battle or some other big conflict).

When I start a novel, I have the characters well-developed in my head (no bibles, but a physical and psychological description, and by that I mean, "intense, but hides it well" or "easy-going, but serious about what matters" or whatever). I also know at least some of the conflicts that will arise and usually have a good idea of the ending. If you can come up with that much detail before you start writing, maybe you can do the "connective tissue" more easily.

Unless the politics are important to the story, just leave them out. Putting them in might force you to spend a lot of time on explaining the particular political setup in your world/era/whatever, which may not benefit your story enough to be worth spending that many words on it.

Some readers will scream for more and more detail, others prefer you to gloss over a lot of the detail. YOU are the only reader you really have to please. If your story doesn't please you, it won't please anyone else.

Hope some of my ramblings are helpful!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I jump around when I write usually because I hit a scene that I know needs to exist but I can't visualize it well enought to write yet. When that happens, I try to leave a sentance or two about what I thought had to happen to refresh my memory when I try to hole fill. Although sometimes I skip it to write a scene that is beating on my skull. While it works for me, it tends to make editing interesting as you find the "holes" in the story.

If what you have planned feels "feeble and overly- convenient" than it probably is.

What works for me when it comes to filling in the holes(which might not work for you) is asking how the characters would naturally move from here (last action bit) to there (the next one) and how much showing do I need. Sometimes all you need is to seque while other times you need a full scene. Your instinct might be right i.e. you might need to summarize rather than devolve into the details.

What I want to know about as a reader is everything that matters to the plot in the detail that makes sense. So, what you as the writer needs to tell me depends on the story. For George R.R. Martin's series, the detailed politics needs to be there or there is no reason for the characters to do what they do. For Harry Potter? Who cares about the politics? They aren't central to the plot. Does that make sense?

Want to shoot me a section - Scene, missing "connective tissue", next scene and any thoughts you have on what should happen between? It might be useful or not.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's dull, summarize it, I'd say.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had this problem.

I mean, I've certainly had the opposite problem, where I write several pages of scintillating prose and then realize that it's completely lacking in plot/character development, or at least doesn't do what I intended it to do.

And I often leave a story unfinished for one reason or another, usually because I want to leave it unfinished But that has nothing to do with finding any of it boring to write. So I'm wondering, how many other people really have this problem? I mean, I can't give much useful advice other than to say it seems like an odd problem to me.

Anyway, the thing about politics is that most people have a mistaken notion about how to write believable political scenes. The shaping of policy doesn't occur in a "political" setting, such a setting is incompatable with developing new ideas. In a "political" meeting, it's a simple matter of winning or losing. Think of a televised debate (the most extreme case of a "political" meeting). You're simply not there to work out a cooperative plan of action. It's a straightforward winner/loser equation, to the extent that the other guy looks like an idiot, you benefit.

In other words, politics itself is a cat-fight with an audience. You're not there to be reasonable, you're there to look reasonable...or at least more reasonable than the other guy. The real shaping of policy, the part of politics that is actually important to your story (unless your story is about the political process itself) is carried out with very trusted comrades (sometimes friends, sometimes not) in private. You can put either into your story without paying any attention to the other.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
If I don't plan ahead well enough and my image of what I have to effectively portray in words is weaker makes it more costly to write the scene. Please bear with the economic reasoning, if I have to spend more type filling in gaps then I write more slowly and cover less ground, it is then more costly to write because I enjoy it less and it is more difficult. I completely understand not wanting to write something, or lacking motivation. For me the problem is almost exclusively, I don't know how to get from point A to point B and I don't want to figure it out while I'm writing it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have said in my other post that one reason for my current working method---blasting through without knowing exactly what will happen up ahead---is the hope that this method will produce mostly "good parts" with less "connective tissue." Certainly I've been interested in what's come up so far---I don't know whether anyone else would be, but I sure am, and I have to read it (as I write it) before anybody else can ever hope to.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an interesting perspective on this problem that I have developed rather recently. I used to have this problem all the time...I would get to a part of a novel that *had to* be told in order to understand the rest but wasn't interesting in and of itself. Politics were sometimes the issue, although that is a rather large category.

I'm currently working on a rewrite of an age-old project that had many of those parts the last time I wrote it. I'm not having the same problem with the "have to's" this time around. In fact, the "boring" parts have become more energetic and interesting to tell. I'm showing them instead of telling them, which brings them to life for me and (I hope) the reader.

What happened? To be frank, I think I got better at writing. I think I learned more about what energizes and inspired me as an author. I think I learned more about politics, for that matter, which is a fascinating topic. Politics is about the human soul and the depths to which it can sink.

So far short of getting someone else to write those parts for you, I would stick with it .... practice, practice, practice and possibly research, research, research. Read books that inspire you in both fiction and nonfiction and grow in skill in wisdom.

I've still go boring parts in my stories, so I guess this is a process.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

So far I've been summarizing parts I'm not sure about. If I'm moderately to very sure a certain thing happens in a certain way, I write it in one font, and if just speculating, use another font, then go on to the parts I know enough to write.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I understand Zero's economic reasoning. I've certainly found myself wasting time when writing "connective tissue" that I end up having to cut because it meanders on for page after page before connecting to the next plot development. So maybe I should develop an aversion to writing "connective tissue".

Um...

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

This just reminds me of a really funny cartoon I saw on a t-shirt: http://store.aip.org/sps/shop.do?cID=5&pID=27
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
That t-shirt is illustrating an old, old joke. My hubby told me that one when we were first married 35+ years ago, and he'd heard it in engineering school. Some attribute it to Einstein - maybe he had a sense of humor, who knows??

As for the topic at hand, I find that rewriting a scene in a different person's POV sometimes energizes the scene. Writing the scene in an active voice or adding more conflict to it (even if only an argument or disagreement) can also help break up a dull scene. But the best thing is when "a miracle occurs. . ." heehee.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with an old joke. It can be like an old book. If it's good it'll be good forever. If you hear it/read it every day, well, you might be annoyed by it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHAHAHAHAAA! I swear that cartoon describes EXACTLY how I feel about some of the "connective tissue" I've written. I know that I'm my own worst critic, but I don't really have anyone to bounce ideas off of. My hubby is an extremely gifted (but lazy and procrastinating) writer, but I can't get him to sit down and work with me on this. I'm sure I could work my way through this if I had someone (or two or three) to bounce my ideas off of. Talking it out seems to help, even if the person working with me doesn't say much. Any of y'all live in Anchorage, Alaska? ROFL
Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stammsp
Member # 8000

- posted      Profile for stammsp   Email stammsp         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm bumping an old post, but I'm having the 'boring stuff' syndrome right now, too.

I wrote most of the good stuff first and have edited the first chapter at least 7 times.

I am procrastinating filling in the connecting tissue between.

Any new ideas or thoughts?

Gina

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe spice it up a bit. Is there a chance to introduce conflict? Maybe a new theme? Or maybe just cut it and incorporate the stuff elsewhere?

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited June 18, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, when I write, I usually (but not invariably) write in order, start to finish. A couple of novels have had huge chunks lopped off the front of them, then had some of it fed back in later---but that's revision rather than first draft. One thing that does for me is slow things up when I reach less interesting (to me) stages.

I try not to skim novels I'm reading...though if I bull my way through the reading, I find I've forgotten what's been said and know little of it. One time I read a novel (which one and by who, I've forgotten), where I pushed on through the beginning, but by chapter six or so I was engrossed and interested---only to realize about two-thirds in that I didn't know what happened in the beginning, and it had some bearing on the story in front of me. I wound up rereading the beginning and going from there. (I probably remember it all well enough now to forget which book it was---but I remember doing it pretty well.)

I suppose it's up to us, the writers, to make it as interesting as possible throughout, even in the connecting tissue we find dull.

(I'm reminded of the Beatles theory of constructing their albums. Before fame and fortune struck, they would buy the occasional album with their scarse and hard-gotten money, and found only one or two good album cuts among a lot of crap. They felt disappointed and ripped off. They (or at least Paul, who told the story) resolved to see that any album they put out was "all good stuff," no padding or garbage---which they pretty much did.)

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of disjointed thoughts:

C.S. Lewis was a master at cutting through the stuff he didn't want to write and getting on with his story. I can't find my book right now (my bookshelf is a perpetual disaster area) but in Prince Caspian he has a paragraph that is pure genius. It was much better written than this, but in essence, he said

So Prince Caspian fought and trained and got to know his army for weeks, and so they were ready when it was time to fight the battle.

If it had been me writing, I would have felt obligated to spend at least a chapter on that. So one suggestion is: if it bores you, summarize and move on.

Now I can't be sure, but I suspect J.K. Rowling had a different technique. I imagine her with all these great ideas about Hogwarts, and she must have just wanted to get started. Harry's time with his aunt and uncle could have been extremely dull. So she slowed down, and took time to build a whole world with rich characters that she only used for a short part of each book. So another suggestion is: build in a subplot that will make that part of the story interesting too.

I'm sure other authors have ways of getting from point A to point B without boring themselves, but those two jump out at me.

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited June 18, 2008).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a timely bump. I have put my novel on hiatus to write some short stories and try some different POV's etc. Mostly because I have recently found myself writing boring passages. The podcast "Writing Excuses" covered this a couple of weeks ago. One of the hosts said that when you hit a 'second act slump' you should blow something up.
I realized that I needed to blow something up in my story so I did. I'm still staying away from it for a couple of weeks, but I am excited to get back to it and start to pick through the debris.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Didn't even notice it was a bumped post until today...didn't notice my earlier post, either...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.