Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Censorship

Author Topic: Censorship
xardoz
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for xardoz   Email xardoz         Edit/Delete Post 
First they came for the meteorologists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a meteorologist.
Then they came for the talk radio hosts
and I did not speak out
because I was not a talk radio host.
Then they came for the bloggers
and I did not speak out
because I was not a blogger.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

(with apologies to Pastor Martin Niemöller)

Scary stuff for anyone who appreciates their right to free speech.

[This message has been edited by xardoz (edited January 18, 2007).]

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate many rights, free speech among them. They always go away slowly, while you're looking the other way and clinging to comfort and safety.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, they already came for me. Couple of times. I spoke out for myself...though it would have been nice to have some help, come to think of it.

Whatever. I try not to dwell on it. I'd just end up with a comical weakness like Dororo's "trauma switch".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that like the one they put in Anton in the Shadow Series?

I thought this was going to be a thread about how the Global Warming Thread was locked. Especially when your first link was to meteorologists. But the wheel goes around. I guess that's about all I can say without moving this thread toward getting locked. Actually, what is the relevance of this thread to the mission of the board? I mean, we spend a lot of time talking about how to shape our words toward the end of becoming published. We want our speech to pay, not be free.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited January 19, 2007).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that the law in question would specifically target writers/speakers/presenters who were being paid for their services, it does concern some of the members of this board.

On the other hand, just about every blogger on the internet noticed and wrote about it, so that rider has been deleted.

For now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.