Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Prologue

Author Topic: Prologue
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a fantasy novel and I've got this opening scene that takes place a year before the events of the story. It isn't long, and it involves secondary characters, but the backstory is important. It doesn't take long to get through and it sets up why certain characters in the story are the way they are by showing instead of telling. I think it would work well in a prologue, especially since its so short. I don't think it would work well going back later in the novel and telling us these events because it would distract from the flow of the story.

I know OSC doesn't like prologues much, but I've seen him use them to great affect. So, I'm debating if I should put this scene in chapter 1, or if it should go in prologue.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to say in the abstract. A Prologue is an event that is remote in time to the main story. A year might not be remote enough.

Stephen Horn makes great use of a prologue in Laws of Gravity . He shows an apparent suicide and the police officer who responds to the call. The scene is brief, a page or two. The first chapter is about 20 years later in a different city without any of the characters mentioned in the prologue. Also, for some readers a prologue signals "skip me."

Assuming you can't get the information out in an effective way in the rest of the story, may I make a third proposal? You might make it the first chapter and then make the current first chapter the second one. While the average chapter is 10 pages, that's not a rule. Christopher Moore's new book You Suck has several chapters that are less than a page - one is just three or four lines of dialog.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
My novel's first two chapters take place ten years before the rest of the novel, but they're important to the story, so I made them chapters rather than prologue, which I know I often skip when reading (the histories presented in many prologues are only interesting to those who are way more anal than me, and to the author - I just want to read the story, not its background). Lots of authors will have a very short chapter here or there, so there's no reason you can't. I think it's James Patterson who sometimes will have several one-page chapters in a row, which seems choppy but certainly gives the story a quick pace.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a reader that usually at best skims over prologues, often skips them, if it's integral/important to the story, put it in the story as close to where it matters as possible.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
as a reader I can't remember reading a prologue, I skip them and almost never miss anything, but then again how would I know right? anyhow as a reader I would suggest not putting it in if at all possible
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I never skip prologues. If the prologue isn't any good then I just don't read the rest of the story. If the prologue is good then there's no reason to skip it. That's my rules.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, that's a good rule. Nicely put.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I always read the prologue. I've never regretted it.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

- posted      Profile for PatEsden           Edit/Delete Post 
Because I had been warned against using prologues, I felt uncomfortable about wanting to use one in the novel I'm working on. Then I decided not to feel guilty. My prologue happens fourteen years before the rest of the novel which happens in one week. I use the prologue to provide information which clarifies chapter one, shows that magic exists in the world and sets the tone.

I think the rule about not using prologues is a warning against long boring world building prologues--which are not boring to all readers. If you look at recently published novels you will find that a large percentage of them have prologues.

[This message has been edited by PatEsden (edited January 29, 2007).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I never skip prologues.

A time or two I wished that I had, but most of the time I'm glad I didn't.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
ok let me re-phrase

as a reader I can't remember reading a prologue, I skip them and almost never miss anything, but then again how would I know right? anyhow as a reader I would suggest not putting it in if at all possible

as a LAZY reader... lol

Survivor makes a good point I will read them from now on.

I do have a question - my WIP takes place some 40,000 years into the reign of a godlike power and is the story of it's overthrow. would a prologue of say two paragraphs or so be helpful to bring the reader into this universe and let them know things that the MC takes for granted. it is very hard to fit in things that are now and always have been givens to the MC.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If this power is "godlike" to the main characters, then it probably isn't necessary. If the "god" or anyone else of similar age interacts with the main characters at a personal level, then perhaps it would be helpful.

In a more general sense, you shouldn't use the prologue to reveal things that the main characters are going to take for granted, only things that they do not know but which will increase the dramatic tension for the reader. And it shouldn't be explained so much as demonstrated (heh heh, "show don't tell" rears its head).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.