Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To trilogy or not to trilogy

Author Topic: To trilogy or not to trilogy
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on, well, a story (lets call it that for now) and it seems that it might be rather long. It is in the fantasy genre, and so I feel myself compelled to say "it has to be either a fairly long book, or a trilogy."
Realistically looking at the market, can you write something other than a trilogy or a long singular novel? Say, a story in two parts?
And then I wonder, are publishers turned off by the query letter that reads "first book in a trilogy" anyway?

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I have actually heard editors say that when they see those words in a query, their hearts tend to sink. The reason is that if the first book isn't publishable, the other two probably won't be either, and they feel very sorry for someone who has spent time, energy, and wordage that could have been redirected after the first book was determined to be unpublishable.

Of course, they are assuming that since the author has queried them about the first book, the other two have been finished.

It is better to write one book that might be expanded into a trilogy or series however long, give it a satisfactory resolution so it is publishable as a stand-alone, and approach editors about that book. Then, if it is publishable, an editor will certainly ask if there is more, and probably offer you a two-or-more-book deal.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a fantasy novel that has evolved to need five books to tell the whole, over-arching story. But I'm careful that the story that I'm telling ENDS in the first book. Yes there are open threads that remain unanswered, but most books leave some questions open. So, I would write the one novel, make sure you end it, but leave enough for a sequel if you wish.

In my case, I have sparse notes covering what I would want to do in the other books, and an full outline for book two. I wouldn't write the second book until the first one was published, but at least I have the notes if I needed them.

So, to make it short. Write one complete book, keep notes for the second, but don't spend too much time on future books until you get a book deal.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the advice given by kathleen and mathew but something I'm not too sure on is:

My book was originally meant to be a stand alone with potential for spin offs (sequels and prequels set in same world but not necessarily with same characters) but as I'm writing it it would take over 100000 words to do it justice in one book and even then I'd probably be rushing certain parts so I'm thinking of doing two books rather than cram everything into one. My question though is how much can you leave unresolved and still have a book stand alone?

I have two main characters and I'm shaping my first book around the development of one (it starts with his circumstance dramatically changing and finish's with his resolution of his life) while the other's story is based on him wanting revenge for the way his mother was abandoned once she was pregnant with him. As it stands at the end of the first book he will have attained revenge on his father but will not have attained it on the priests he also blames. I was going to make the second book about this revenge. But will the reader accept the first book ending without him getting revenge on the priests when he states at the start of the story that he wants revenge on both his father and the priests?

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't so much matter what he states as what he's been doing for most of the book. If he spends most of the first book just getting revenge on his father, then that is the main dramatic tension of that book. If getting revenge on his father is relegated to more of a "side quest", then it isn't the main dramatic tension.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
The word "prequel" makes me squirm. Mostly because of the dismal jobs done with Star Wars 1-3 and Star Trek: Enterforaprize.

I agree with Survivor, if you resolve the main focus of your book, then its complete, even if the other thread remains open. Personally, I like a book that leaves some things open. Life doesn't tie itself off in nice little knots. Some things take time to finish.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Write a half million words of one novel, put several cliffhangers in it, then break the novel into parts for publication as single books.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. He does spend the whole book in gaining his revenge on his father.

Prequel is probably the wrong word for what I eventually intend to write. There's a period in history about 300 years before my story starts that is referred to in the story several times as it resulted in major changes in a couple of society's. If I was ever to get my books published I would go back and write about those events as another story from the same world. But one that is set before my original one.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . as I'm writing it it would take over 100000 words to do it justice in one book and even then I'd probably be rushing certain parts. . . .
Well--that's just perfect. For a fantasy novel, you don't want it any less than 100K words anyway. Don't rush, and let it be 115000; you'd still be in the 100-120K window.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I was at the website for the guy that writes The Dresden Files. He talks about the possible value of mentioning you have books in the series planned or written.

"Ricia [his agent] read the first Dresden manuscript, thought it fine enough to send out, and had it sold to Jennifer Heddle [publisher] at Roc about six months later. Reportedly, the esteemed Ms. Heddle was wavering until she heard that I had three books already finished, and then she was a lot more interested."

If you look at the movie industry, they're making sequels and prequels of almost everything. I think the reasoning they use is that if people liked the first movie enough, the second one isn't as much as a risk. It's the same reason publishers want to publish books written by established authors before new authors. There is name recognition and people already know if they like it or not.

Matt

[This message has been edited by RMatthewWare (edited January 30, 2007).]

Max Masterson
Member # 4799

As a reader if I'm looking for new author's to try I look for one's who have written a series of books that are connected. For example: Robert Jordan.
(Also Orson mentions in his books that once you have been published, editors prefer you to write more books in a series rather than start new world and characters each time)
So when I decided to create a world to write a story from I tried to make it have potential for at least 7 books and I have a rough idea of what they are all going to be about. My problem was the first book needs to stand alone and I wasn't sure I could fit all of one of my two viewpoint characters storys into it. However from the comments I've recieved it seems I can split his story in two and have only the first half in the first book without the reader being let down.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.