Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » how do I write a short story?

Author Topic: how do I write a short story?
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys and Gals I am looking for resources on how to write a short story. I am very new to writing and am learning as I go. My reading experience is all novels, but I am reading on this forum and in so many places that to get published I should start with short stories.

Any advice on books or sites or whatever that have been helpful in writing short stories per se?

thanks Bruce

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a tough one BruceW. The best I can tell you is to find some shorter works of genre types you like to read and kind of reverse engineer the process. This is hard for me because I very rarely find a short story I enjoy reading.

In another thread earlier today someone recommended a book that's supposed to be good (may have been KDW), but I couldn't find the thread.

I've seen very few how-to's for short stories. I'll be paying attention to this thread for any advice from others. I've been working on two novel projects the last 9 months, and though between the first draft of the latest one and the first revision, I might try a couple shorter stories.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read very many short stories because I usually get bored in about two pages, I don't know why. but a few I have liked and marvel at how they spin such a good story in so few words.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been me.

The book is WRITING IN GENERAL AND THE SHORT STORY IN PARTICULAR by Rust Hills, and it's a good example of shortness as well.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
If good examples of short fiction in SF are what you are looking for there are several really good anthologies.

"Dangerous Visions, great but possibly dated. "Locus Awards" winning stories, many stories but in the back a listing of all the Locus winners in all catagories from the beginning to the present. Now that's a reading list.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used the article "Conquering the Short Story" by D.M. Bonanno to creat a template for myself. It provides a great method for short story planning. Whenever I get an idea for a short story I try to work through these questions. Its been very helpful to me, hopefully you'll have the same positive experieince. The article can be found at:

http://fmwriters.com/Visionback/Vision21/Themeconquering.htm

I got this from the index for the on-line writers zine Vision. There are tons of other great writing advice articles at the zine and its index, including some on short stories.

http://www.lazette.net/vision/
http://www.carternipper.com/vision_t.php

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with "read a lot of short stories." If you haven't, you'll probably be more comfortable trying novel length.

For suggestions---start with the print magazines, dig up a few anthologies of classics and award winners, look for single-writer collections---and start reading. Chances are, you already know a few names---if you've read a novel by a writer you've liked, there might be a collection out there somewhere, particularly the older writers.

On being bored two pages in---wouldn't that happen reading novels, too?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
don't forget to actually try and write short stories as you do your research.

we have a good way to get you doing so at Liberty Hall.

http://www.libertyhallwriters.org

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely: OSC, Characters & Viewpoint.

Also, OSC's Boot Camp, if you can get in.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
Mig;

I don't know if your post to the Vision page helped Bruce or not, but it helped me a ton! THANK YOU!!

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that to get published you need to "start with short stories."

Write what you like. If you like novels, and your story is novel lenght, write it.

I cannot write short stories. The ones I write are terrible, and I find them troublesome and annoying to write. So I don't. I work on my novel.

There is no "you must start with short stories" rule.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for Mig           Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome thayerds.

The three keys to writing short stories is the same as for writing anything else.

1) Read novels, and shortstories, if that's what you want to write. Especially read inthe genres you want to write.
2) Write as often as you can.
3) Read everything you can get your eyeballs on regarding the writing craft. There are plenty of helpful writing books out there and tons of free articles on line, including on OSC's site and atthe Vision site referenced above just to name two.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

thanks everyone that should keep me busy for a year or two

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.