Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good writing books

Author Topic: Good writing books
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
What are some books you have read that have helped you as a writer?

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
Two books by John Gardner.

"The Art of Writing" He defines his view of good writing and art, his view of the industry, and then teaches writing with solid specifics and even exercises for the student. A very good basic book on Creative Writing.

"On becomming a Novelist" (with Ray Carver) About writing longer fiction and the need to lose the perfection of the short story. The organization of work and time in such a large task are also discussed.

Two books by OCS

"Character and Viewpoint" The best book on this subject that I have ever read.

"Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy" Good advice from a man who has made a good living writing in our genre.

Ursula LeGuin wrote "The Language of the Night" more about what Science Fiction and Fantasy are than a "how to" book. An amazing insight into the creative process of one of our greatest writers.

Azimov wrote a book about writing Science Fiction and Fantasy, but the title escapes me. Someone will correct me or you could find it on Amazon I'm sure. The most significant thing I took from the book was his description of two general types of writing. One the moving picture made up of the beautiful arrangment of millions of bits of glass. The other, the freshly cleaned sheet of clear glass behind which the story takes place.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way I could get hold of Orson's 'Characters and Viewpoint' was as part of a book called 'How to write a million' which contains Orson's book and also: 'Plot' by Ansen Dibell and 'Dialogue' by Lewis Turco.

I haven't finished reading the dialogue one yet but I've found all three books really useful.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Dean Koontz's How to Write Best-Selling Fiction helpful in a number of ways. I immensely enjoyed it---I wish I could say the same for practically all of his fiction. (I hope I got the title right---I returned it to the library years ago.)

Aside from that...

Science Fiction Writer's Workshop I by Barry B. Longyear. Though he didn't convert me to his way of writing, I learned a lot about how to frame my story scene-by-scene. (As far as I know, there never was a II. Again, I hope I got the title right.)

Handbook of Science Fiction, L. Sprague de Camp. Again, a useful work, particularly on how to organize your writing habits. (My story index cards still look like the samples in this book, even though it's all on my computer nowadays. Once again I hope the title is right---if you could see my files you'd know why I hesitate to root through them to find anything.)

Robert Silverberg has an anthology whose title escapes me---I know it's been published under at least two different titles---but it contains a dozen or so classic SF short stories with a blow-by-blow breakdown of them that tells the beginner (or intermediary like me) a lot about how to construct stories.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King: On Writing

This is a much easier read than the earlier Stephen King offering: Danse Macabre. On Writing read much more like a novel than a "How To" book on writing.

Also, though its not necessarily a fiction-based book, William K. Zinsser: On Writing Well.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 01, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
A few I've not seen mentioned here yet:

Beginnings, Middles, and Ends by Nancy Kress
Self-editing for Fiction Writers by Browne and King
The Writer's Mentor by Cathleen Rountree

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, Here are some that I enjoyed reading and found somewhat inspirational. I can't say any of them have helped me, as that would presuppose that I have some degree of competence as a writier, which is something I'll believe when I see it .

I apologize if I get some of the tiles/authors slightly off. I don't have my bookshelf in front of me.

The First Five Pages - Noah Lukeman.
Writing the Breakout Novel - Donald Maas

Both of those are written from an agent's perspective, and deal more with revision/polishing than writing per se.

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers - ???? and Dave King(?)

Just reading this one now, talks about what appears to be advanced revision/editing considerations from the viewpoint of editors. Above and beyond line/copy/blue-pencil editing.

Immediate Fiction - Jerry Cleaver

Focuses on the basic elements of story telling and deals with things like motivation/finding time and writer's block.

Plot and Structure - James Bell

I haven't put this one to practical use, but there are lots of ideas for how to organize and plan a novel-length story.

Characters and Viewpoint - Orson Scott Card.

If this one hasn't been mentioned already in the thread, I'd be surprised. I don't accord it as high a status as many here do, but it will definitely clear up any confusion about the nuances of POV.

On Writing by Stephen King and Sometimes the Magic Works by Terry Brooks are good reads from well-known authors about being a writer in general. King's book has an interesting little section where he includes a draft story excerpt with editing.

You can probably tell from the order I listed these that my reading on writing tends to focus on revision/editing rather than creating. I've read many more, but these are ones that stirred up the writing juices inside me the most.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor's post. I just re-write all my work every time he posts something new. Whew.

How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy - Orson Scott Card was my first book I stumbled upon and it blew my doors off, I had no idea of any of the stuff he was talking about and that is what started me wanting to write.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add both The Early Asimov and The Early Del Rey.

The Early Asimov 'cause it kinda kindled my interest in the idea of trying to get published---I don't know if, before that, I'd realized how stories actually get published.

The Early Del Rey for making me realize, early on, what worked for me as writer and reader, and giving me a lesson about who should be the lead character in any story.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepShadow
Member # 2182

- posted      Profile for DeepShadow   Email DeepShadow         Edit/Delete Post 
How to Write Killer Fiction by...someone far les memorable than her book. Great book, seriously.

The War of Art by...that guy who wrote the Legend of Bagger Vance.

The Writer's Journey by Christopher Volger (see, I got one!)

Posts: 38 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaldea
Member # 4707

- posted      Profile for Chaldea   Email Chaldea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just caught this thread and thought I'd put in my two cents.

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg, for originality in your writing.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, for encouragement and perseverence in daily writing habits.

[This message has been edited by Chaldea (edited February 12, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Chaldea (edited February 12, 2007).]

Posts: 75 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.