Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Turning Off My Inner Critic

Author Topic: Turning Off My Inner Critic
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very mean little inner voice that keeps interupting my writing, telling me what not to write, which phrase is dumb or boring, and worst of all, keeps me from working through tough scenes and especially dialogue.

I know I'm not the only one who suffers from this guy or some spectre like him. (Mine is a him.)

I've tried a lot of things over the years, everything from Zen meditation to booze. The booze only made him louder.

Anyone with any advice?

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Stronger booze.

Or think just about your story, and not about how you're writing it. I've found that when I get excited about the plot, and just the plot, and all I want is to get that plot on paper, I let myself write first drafts. Then I don't let myself read anything I've written. Constant reassurances that the writing end will get handled in drafts 2-8 help quiet the inner critic to an ignorable grumble.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it really easy to turn the little guy off, like a light switch really. I reach over mentally and flick the light off, then the critic is gone, but obviously not every one is not as lucky as I am.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use booze. That's an "at risk" consumption of alcohol because hopefully you write a lot, and that would mean you'd have to drink a lot. I know you guys weren't serious, but I have this inner doctor inside me which needs to speak up when someone says something like that.
Freewrite, try self-hypnosis, take a walk, write at night when you're ready to drop and seeing penguins instead of monsters in the closet, multitask: write on the appartment bike in the gym, write while watching commercials in the middle of a very cool film, tell your inner editor to shut up and write regardless of what he says. Stop going back to fix the phrases that he points out, stop trying to fix phrases as they are being typed: you know what they say about boogey monsters: if you'll ignore them, they'll go away

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell the little bastard that he can comment after you've written something, but not while you're doing it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I try to re-assure myself that no one will see the childish first draft. I will get to go back later and re-write it once the story is out.

This is a huge struggle for me too. I would like to re-write and crit my stuff to death sometimes. I have a bad habit of re-reading the last paragraph before going onto the next one. that has the effect of tripling the time it takes to write because I have to re-write the earlier chapter twice.

I am hoping experience and confidence will help?

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the inner critic is easier for me to ignore because I have to write on deadlines. If I miss the dealine there are often terrible reprocussions for my clients. Because I do so much writing in the day job, I am confident that: (1) the only one who is going to see my first draft is my assistant and she doesn't laugh at them too often and (2) I will edit the heck out of it before it leaves the office.

Unless I haven't been writing in a bit or am finishing a scene I had to stop writing before the end, I just don't let myself go back and re-read the prior sections. Spell check and the cut and paste options are wonders of modern life. I use them often.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, just yesterday I was wondering how a paralegal would react if I dropped off my fiction WIP for editing, coded for billing writeoff as a "firm matter." It's tempting . . .
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ask him if he can think of anything better. If he can't, then you can tell him to shut up, and he'll probably listen.

If he can, then go ahead and write it his way. Train him like that, and eventually he'll only bug you when he has an actual suggestion to make.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
J- tempting idea. Very tempting. Although the paralegal has to be willing to point out errors. Mine's too nice to really edit.
Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
The voice in my head has a stutter.
Do you know how annoying that is?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
J- I read that without the "a" in front of "firm matter". I think that changed the meaning quite a bit.

Hey Survivor, you wanna be my inner critic for a while?

I know you guys roll your eyes everytime I talk about my book opening - unless you don't really have any concept of who I am. Well, I decided my book was really two books. But I'm kind of afraid about all that.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem frequently, sometimes pretty bad. I wish I had an answer, but I'll share a couple suggestions I've heard/read about. One is to write in a distracting environment. Another that I think came from Ray Bradbury is to write and write and write until you're tired (apparently you'll wear down the critic along the way).

I just try to remind myself it can always be fixed later so just get something down and move on. Sometimes I find it happens when I'm writing something that really doesn't belong in the story, like filling time between events and such. Skipping ahead to something with content sometimes helps. I'm doing better with letting my drafts be ugly in exchange for getting things on paper faster. Long way to go, though.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone. I will try to get a deadline right after I get a paralegal who might give me some stronger booze (which of course I will not use) just as soon as I tell my inner critic to shut up (until after I've finished the first draft) and have spent a lot more of my time writing more stuff.

Does that about sum it up?

Seriously; I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
When you get rid of your inner critic, be it by drugging, killing, or simply turning down the volume, see if you can do something about mine. It's bloody annoying!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.