Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Space Fiction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Space Fiction
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean sci-fi, I mean collections of planets at war with each other, combat through fleets of starships.

This has been done to death. But I enjoy writing it. I enjoy writing it except that every time I do, no matter how original my setting, plot, politics, and characters... I get this vile taste in my mouth like I expect every reader to be thinking...

"yeah, I've never seen this before... star wars...star trek..."

bah.

Anyone else find frustration with this?

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 03, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel, you end up feeling that what you're writing is worthless and that'd it never sell. That's when we tell our internal critic to go "fluff the pillows" and take pride and enjoyment in our writing.

This happens to me when I'm writing fantasy. I've read quite a bit of it and I usually tend to drift off on cliche settings. Cliche, cliche, cliche!!! >.< We all write cliches anyway.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no. You're looking at this all wrong. Everything has already been done. That's the penalty for being born after the genre is mature.

You can manage any plot so long as you first establish characters that we care about. That's why character is so crucial to writing fiction. If I care about your characters, I'll go along wherever you take me. If I care about the characters, I'll be more willing to suspend disbelief.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Only people who don't like space opera anyway will diss you for writing space opera. Hah, I just remembered that Bujold's first Vorkosigan book, Shards of Honor, was originally a Star Trek fan fic she wrote as a teenager.

I really like Elizabeth Moon's space books even though she has everyone floating around in these archaic spacecraft which use absolutely prehistoric technology...it's definitely not Star Wars, at least

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a market for space opera. Just do it well, and don't do things that you can get away with in video but not in print (like beams of energy weapons being visible).
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek and Star Wars didn't really do alien civilizations very well at all. Lots of room there for new stories.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hah, I just remembered that Bujold's first Vorkosigan book, Shards of Honor, was originally a Star Trek fan fic she wrote as a teenager.

Really, Survivor? I hadn't heard that. So Cordelia was her "Mary Sue"? And Aral was who? Kirk?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hah. No, Aral was originally a Klingon. Cordelia was a Starfleet captain. Although one should take anything a writer says about where they got an idea with a grain of salt...I very much doubt that her teen fan-fic was really recognizable as Shards of Honor to anyone but herself.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
From Analog:
"stories in which some aspect of future science or technology is so integral to the plot that, if that aspect were removed, the story would collapse."

I personally don't agree with that. I want stories that focus on characters, character development, character interactions that just happen to deal with monsters, zombies, space ships, or other worlds.

It was one of the reasons I liked the show "Firefly". Sure, it was set in space, but in space, people still had problems. We were the same race, just on other planets.

I have been a fan of Star Trek for a long time, but I never quite bought the idea that in the future we won't deal with money, everyone will be equal, etc. I just don't think mankind is like that.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero; I think I have the perfect example for you. Read the book Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, then watch the movie. The book was space opera done right. The movie got it all wrong. The difference was in how the characters were portrayed. Heinlein took his characters very seriously, and thought about the desperate situation they were in. The movie was all dopey fun and games, with gross gooyness for pure shock value. Any hint of serious character treatment would have clashed with the over all action.

Then again, I always was a sucker for Heinlein.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I might have to read Starship Troopers now, because the movie sucked.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't actually sat through the entire movie...but I heard awhile back that the director managed to drape the heroes subtly in Fascist / Neo-Nazi styles. Seems to me a stunt a director would pull if he really didn't want to be directing the movie...

I didn't much like certain elements of the first couple of "Star Trek" series. Everybody seemed to get along unusually well with each other in rather cramped and isolated circumstances...you saw a regular poker game in one but never saw any of the players with money...and the general contempt for the twentieth century shined through on many occasions. (Yet I didn't much care for later ones, where relationships were a little more prickly, and money was actually a factor...the twentieth-century-contempt seemed constant, though.)

I like space opera in general...but, curse the luck, so many have done this sub-genre so well that it's hard to find an angle on it. Someone (Heinlein?) once described area of SF as containing "low grade ore" because of this...certainly I find this to be the case.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, the director made a big point about how the "militaristic" society portrayed by Heinlein was inherently evil and he wanted to bring that out with not subtle references to Naziesque uniforms and propaganda. He also completely eliminated the entire power armor aspect, which was one of the big "cool" factors of the book (probably because he wanted to reinforce the idea that the soldiers were pathetic victims of the war-mongering state, which was another heavy-handed departure from the text). He also introduced a few arguments that the war was entirely the fault of humanity because of incursions into Bug territory, though these aren't pervasive in the film.

So, yeah...not much like the book at all.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

There was an animated series of Starship Troopers that was pretty good.

Matt

xverion
Member # 4908

- posted      Profile for xverion   Email xverion         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie Starship Troopers was horrible, haven't read the book, but now I might have to. That's what you get when Paul Verhoeven directs though. Don't get me wrong, he's directed some great movies(Robocop, Total Recall) but he also directed Showgirls. He's more of a sex and violence movie director, and the movie suffered. The cast IMHO didn't help either. Just my opinion.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting distinction -- science fiction vs space fiction.

I feel your pain. An editor told me my WIP reminded him of Heinlein's Starship Troopers, and he said it as though it was a compliment. But, having seen only the movie, I was tempted to be insulted -- till I read the book. Loved the book. Hated the movie.

I was happy to hear about Bujold and her fan fic-turned-original work because my WIP was born from a piece of fan fic, too. I'll have to read Shards to see if it's recognizable, which, I suppose, is a good measure of success with the transition.

Unfortunately, the term "space opera" seems to carry some baggage, a la Flash Gordon, which doesn't help those of us writing it. Someone on this site used the term "space fantasy" instead, which sounded good to me. "Space fiction" works well, too. But in lists of space opera, I've seen some prominent sf authors, including Asimov, so space opera covers a lot of ground.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, the Barrayarans aren't much like original Trek Klingons, and the Betans are hardly Starfleet. It's more one of those snicker-worthy bits of gossip that an author shares in the afterword of a collection of short fiction.

You know, like Card's junky blue Datson (or whatever it was) that had nothing to do with anything except that he once drove it to a writer's convention. It's too bad that Card doesn't write space fiction, that old junker could have inspired a wonderful light freighter or something for a tiny crew of misfits.

starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Matt's earlier comment on "Firefly" ... getting the entire series in bits and pieces via Netflix ... loving every episode.

I like the term "space fantasy" ... it seems to match what I'm attempting to do with my ... attempt at writing. My problem is that I don't want to go off and say "magic!" ... I'm disguising my magic by calling it something else ... if I ever finish and anybody ever reads it ... they'll probably figure it out.

But I still like the term "space fantasy" ... it sounds like a blend of my two favorite genres - fantasy and sci-fi (but usually, the two fall under the same category ... poo)

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I should've said that Starship Troopers is one of the Heinlein books I'm less-than-fond of. I may give it another opportunity someday---my political (and other) opinions have shifted since I first read it when I was ten or eleven, and my ability to understand what a writer was getting at has also grown. (My opinion of Glory Road and Stranger in a Strange Land did shift---I like them a lot better now than I did then.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband made me read Starship Troopers after we got married. I don't remember much about it, other that wondering why he thought women would make good pilots. Seems like Aliens and Halo make a nod to this. It may be a matter that any star crew should potentially double as a colonization seed, so there have to be girls, and they can pilot pretty well.

Reminds me of those movies of circus performers that Harry Shearer shows in The Right Stuff. But, yeah...

quote:
I never quite bought the idea that in the future we won't deal with money, everyone will be equal, etc. I just don't think mankind is like that.
It always seemed funny to me that there was still rank and all that went with that in their moneyless society. But maybe it wasn't moneyless, just people came to see the pursuit of money as being an indicator of moral questionability.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole 'no money' thing in the future this makes no sense.

as long as we are still human we will still be greedy self centered beings. the desire to own is inherent in a baby. every mom can tell you that 'mine' is one of the first words a small child latches onto. money or some form of it will always be needed. 'It's not fair' is a cry the child gives as an absolute justification, it is born in us. fair is fair is the epitome of selfishness and human nature. I as a person or we as a people and society can strive to rise above base instincts but as a race we will always be selfish and want to be compensated 'fairly' for our percieved contributions, therefore money.

The idea that everyone works for the common good of everyone else is nothing short of communism and due to human nature it won't work.

Oh and I have not read Starship troopers, I actually didn't mind the movie (b rate), I did however play Warhammer 40,000; a game based, so I am told, on the book and love stories and background for the game. In the game they do have power armor mentioned above, very cool stuff for a future war setting, I may now have to find the book and read it.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that Heilein's point about female pilots is that they have more of a tendancy to think through an action before executing, which would be important in piloting a ship in space (even though it's a serious handicap for atmospheric fighter pilots). When you have to spend delta vee to correct any mistake you might make, it's enough better to not make the mistake in the first place that the slight increase in reaction times is acceptable. Since men are basically wired to leap before looking, it's hard to train them to do this, and they kinda suck at it.

This is a demonstrated difference between men and women, but whether it would work out for piloting spacecraft the way Heinlein suggests is doubtful. Advances in electronics might obviate or supercede the differences in how men and women react. On the other hand, in zero-g women are under rather less of a disadvantage physically compared to men. Even the fact that they tend to weigh less would be a big advantage. If weight (and lifesupport) limits were a serious consideration for the spacecraft, I can see women being very much preferable, they even tend to burn fewer calories.

I think that "money" is a limited concept...the Federation supercedes it by providing a scale of semi-tangible rewards that are much more scarce. In other words, the scale of gross material wealth so far outpaces the population of the Federation that the only scarcity is attained in social rewards provided by direct interaction with other people. From the rather straightforward rewards of rank in Starfleet to the more intangible community status of people living on Earth, the economy of the Federation functions mainly by using respect and affection as currency, because almost no other resource is sufficiently scarce to serve that role. The functioning of such an economy is entirely dependent on nearly complete freedom from physical want.

Zero
Member # 3619

It's an interesting concept for fiction.

(I am econ student, so mind you my knowledge is limited, but as it is my current degree I will proceed to pretend like I know a thing about it. )

Basically an econ 100 class would teach you that money is only used to increase the number of trades. For example if there were no money then if I wanted to get a soda I'd have to find someone who specializes in soda-making AND who is interested in trading for economics knowledge, which is my "good/service" that I produce. In other words if I found a soda-maker who did not demand economics knowledge he would not trade with me, so there would be fewer places I could find trades, trades would then be more costly, and then there would be fewer trades.

By having money we create a good that is always in demand, money itself, so I can trade with anyone. Limited only by how much money or wealth I have.

So, money is fairly essential because it provides an incentive for a person to work and for trades to exist.

However another important part of the equation for economy is the existance of "scarcity," the world of Star Trek you are describing seems to have no sense of scarcity. Not material scarcity anyway. (So their economy is highly theoretical and completely impossible, but that's neither here nor there.) In any case, if there is no scarcity you don't technically need money. Because you don't need to make many trades, or even trades at all. Because wealth is unlimited.

Then again, we know that "shirking" is rational behavior, a person will choose to shirk instead of work and tire if the cost/benefit is the same. Who would willingly go dig holes if they didn't want to, didn't enjoy it, and didn't get paid to do it? So it seems to me the main problem with the Star Trek economy operating on this idea of "no scarcity," is that there is no incentive to work. They should, realistically, be a very lax and non-productive society. Which would probably devolve back to a point where scarcity exists again. (IE: nobody would take jobs to repair the replicators)

At the end of the day it's an interesting and fun world, but it's 100% fiction. An economy like that could never exist.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 07, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, if you look at a lot of the jobs that people on Earth or other core Federation planets do, they're usually some kind of make-work that doesn't have any real economic value. Sisco's dad runs a restaurant...and hand peels potatoes in the back alley in his spare time. A lot of people seem to hang out in holodecks all day, sometimes making up new programs to distribute.

Heck, as writers, we should probably understand this economy better than anyone. Some people here are also involved in open source software to some degree. And what can we make of our popular culture that places such an insane value on fame, whether or not it is renumerative or even positive?

In other words, an economy like the one in Star Trek is already all around us. It does exist, but it isn't stable or productive. As Zero points out, it's impossible to make the basic jobs, which are the foundation of all the material plenty, glamorous enough to keep anyone working at them, everyone will choose the "fulfilling" and highly visible jobs that don't really produce anything fundamentally necessary.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It was a theory in many SF stories that once a certain basic advance in technology was made (Jack Williamson's "The Equalizer," for one, but also Star Trek and its introduction of replicator and holodeck technology), that mankind would stop its striving and fighting and hustling and bustling and settle down into a new period of peace and love and oneness. I've never bought into it---I've seen too many people, me included, fight over the most trivial of things, to believe that that kind of peace would follow that kind of advance.

(I always thought Star Trek's holodeck was a bad idea. The pilot for the Original Series dealt largely with a civilization about to die out because it had been seduced by its ability to create illusions. And what is the holodeck but a place to create illusions? Once holodecks were introduced, the Federation was doomed.)

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

As long as we are living in a welfare society (aka, I don't work, yet I deserve to eat, have a home, have health care, etc), we will never evolve beyond money. We live in a society that hates the rich and thinks they should be punished. How many times have we been told that the rich need to pay more in taxes. By the way, there is no tax on rich people in this country. The tax is on wage earners. In that respect, the top tax bracket in this country are earners bringing in $200,000 a year or more. So the country thinks they should pay more in taxes to benefit the country. This ignores the fact that that group encompasses small businesses that employ people. Raise their taxes, they fire employees to make up for it.

Well, that's about as off subject as it can get. Basically, we will always need money, and I have no problem with that. If I can provide a service (flipping burgers, sacking groceries, writing novels) that someone is willing to pay me for, then I'll survive.

Matt

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
phooey to the political agendas expressed above
This aint the place baby.

My question:
Isn't Space Opera/ Fiction just watered-down Sci-fi?
The same way 'heroic fantasy' is just a watered-down version of fantasy?

They are kinda like 'light-beer' genres.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't really considered the discussion of whether or not we'll need money in the future to be a political one. It actually is an economic discussion, and it's something writers of science fiction need to think about for their future worlds.

We could even take the discussion to the Published Books area and talk about some of the ways it has been dealt with in books we've read. (For example, there's a rather different "payment" method in the future society in Tanith Lee's DON'T BITE THE SUN.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Dittos on KDW. WHATEVER your political leanings, you need to be able to write from different perspectives or at least be aware of what people believe.

I tend to lean to the Republican side of things (though I've been pretty disappointed in them lately), but I tend to write from a liberal stand point. I think that's partly because I would love to see a future where we are more equal, we take better care of each other, and we're not motivated as much by capitalism. But I also see that those things can't really happen until most people get on board with those ideas.

When writing, we have an opportunity to present different ideas. We don't need to ram them down anyone's throats, but we can present different points of views. If you as a writer can understand different political, economic, sociologic (sp?) systems, we can make our writing more real, even if we don't take sides.

Matt

hoptoad
Member # 2145

I was commenting on such inflammatory remarks as:

quote:

welfare society (aka, I don't work, yet I deserve to eat, have a home, have health care, etc)

I guess a full-time writer whose work doesn't sell, doesn't deserve to eat, or have healthcare or a home. Or perhaps he deserves to do these things using funds obtained through government arts grants.

It's an interesting point though, what happens to the have-nots in a moneyless society. Who would be the 'new' have-nots?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 07, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

If, as a writer, your work doesn't sell, you had better do something that supports your needs. Or you better have a lot of money stashed a way or a spouse that will allow you to stay at home and write.

Matt

BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
No, if you don't produce for society then society doesn't OWE you anything. that is what charity is for not my hard earned money. hows that for political. and that is about _writing_ books about the future because that is the root of the rift that will pull our civilization apart.

as soon as there is enough for everyone to have everything they want without working for it (producing for society) then no one will work. That society won't work.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, the Federation has a scarcity of affection and respect, because those have to come from people (there were a few interesting episodes about various characters who tried to get them from holodecks or other equivalent technologies).

I read an interesting short story in which "appreciation" was a quantified form of currency, and if you spent more appreciation than you earned, you ran out and had to either make do without or go find a way to earn some more. Another better story had a "trust" based economy, your ability to get anything was entirely dependent on whether anyone trusted you to make good on the obligation you incurred. In some ways that was a very cruel economy, partly because it was a "real" economy in which there were other scarcity issues to overcome, and partly because no economy can exist without meaningful ways to punish abuse of the economic system.

One particular story, called The Midas Plague, had a negative economy, based on the idea that robots produced so much of everything that humans "worked" at consuming it effectively. In the end, some genius realizes that all you have to do is adjust the output of the robots by switching some robots over to the consuming role as needed (which was justified as not being "wasteful" by giving the robots a chip which allowed them to feel satisfied by consuming stuff). The story was purile, but an important early examination of the question of what society will do when the economic problem for most humans (rather than a select few) becomes one of abundance rather than want. Modern America, where obesity is commonly associated with poverty and low social status, has gone some way down this path. The social issues are real and have dire implications.

Health care in particular...we have not reached a situation where there is an overabundance of health care relative to the demand for it...but we're already seeing cases where individuals are having to fight legal battles in order to assert their right to refuse unwanted health care. I was involved in a related situation not very long ago, only by dint of indirectly threatening to seriously injure or kill the doctors was I able to persuade them that I really didn't want their "assistance" (fortunately, it was much easier to convince the cops they called that I was perfectly within my legal rights to refuse). I've long found homelessness more of a hassle than it's worth. Eating I don't mind

The fact remains, we live in a society suffering the effects of a breakdown in basic economic concepts of scarcity, demand, reward, and so forth. Some of this is due to education which teaches unworkable economic theories as transcendent truth. But a lot of it is due to the evolution of minieconomies that are not based on material scarcity. Particularly for specialized persons, these mimieconomies can form their entire perspective on how economies generally function. Which is where we got most of our weird, unworkable economic theories from in the first place.

What about a story in which humans themselves are a commodity? I've read a few, they usually focus on the loss of dignity, freedom, life/limb, and such. But what if humans were kept as popular, pampered, pets? What kind of economy would develop under such circumstances? Note, I'm not suggesting that anyone is about to start keeping you guys as pets, though you might make pretty cool pokemon

Zero
Member # 3619

oooh goodie politics AND economics, how can I resist

First I am going to qualify my statements by saying that thinking about and delving into these issues and ideas are instrumental at helping me develop my fictional societies.

That aside, for the record, I'm with you Matt. All of my study of economics has put me into perspective that moderate conservatism is the most rational economic policy. That aside a lot of people don't really understand how the economy works. Big surprise.

For starters taxes, talking about tha taxes of a business. Leftists tend to think they are taxes paid by the large corporations and businesses, conservatives think they are passed on to the consumer. Well both are wrong. Or rather, both are partially right. It depends on the elasticity.

quote:
No, if you don't produce for society then society doesn't OWE you anything.

Correct. In Adam Smith's invisible-hand style of economy, pure capitalism, it would irrational for society to give you anything. You would die. So would handicapped and retarded people. This is a form of market failure.

quote:
The fact remains, we live in a society suffering the effects of a breakdown in basic economic concepts of scarcity, demand, reward, and so forth. Some of this is due to education which teaches unworkable economic theories as transcendent truth.

What does that even mean?

quote:
But a lot of it is due to the evolution of minieconomies that are not based on material scarcity. Particularly for specialized persons, these mimieconomies can form their entire perspective on how economies generally function. Which is where we got most of our weird, unworkable economic theories from in the first place.

You're right that respect and affection are scarce, but I don't know what all of this other gibberish is. No offense meant, but unless this is something restricted to graduate economics then I should know what you're talking about. I don't.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 08, 2007).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

consider your pots stirred
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Sorry Zero, you exceeded thirteen lines. Consider yourself thumped.

Just kidding.

Matt

Survivor
Member # 213

This
quote:
That aside a lot of people don't really understand how the economy works.

is what I meant when I said:
quote:
The fact remains, we live in a society suffering the effects of a breakdown in basic economic concepts of scarcity, demand, reward, and so forth.

I then posit some reasons that this paucity of understanding has come about.

quote:
Some of this is due to education which teaches unworkable economic theories as transcendent truth.

Translation, we teach people false theories of economics.

quote:
But a lot of it is due to the evolution of minieconomies that are not based on material scarcity. Particularly for specialized persons, these mimieconomies can form their entire perspective on how economies generally function.

Translation, in an economy where many tasks are highly specialized, it is common for most people to have no idea how much actual work and resources it takes to produce anything they aren't personally involved in producing. They may understand perfectly the economics of turning, say, cornflakes into breakfast, but they have no real idea of what it takes to make cornflakes in the first place.

quote:
Which is where we got most of our weird, unworkable economic theories from in the first place.

Translation, many of the really strange and unrealistic economic theories were concieved by persons who suffered from exactly this kind of limited experience with a total economy.

The term "minieconomies" might have confused you. I was simply using the term to indicate the limited view of an economy as it might appear to a given, specialized individual. This view is less specific and narrow than that indicated by the term "microeconomics", but it is also far less detailed. Further, it is still not a view of the economy as a whole.

Zero
Member # 3619

I guess in the pursuit to decipher your message I lost your overall point. Thanks for the translation though.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't Space Opera/ Fiction just watered-down Sci-fi?
The same way 'heroic fantasy' is just a watered-down version of fantasy?

They are kinda like 'light-beer' genres.

I prefer the term "soft sf" vs "hard sf," although this topic has been a concern for me from day one. I'm generally not a hard sf reader and I would never presume to write it, nor would I care to. And I'm not egotistic enough to imagine I'm unique in my preferences, so there must be an audience for soft sf. Yet there seems to be a decided condescension toward it, despite the fact that space opera has come a long way since Buck Rogers.

See "Sci-Fi Caste System?" at
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000350.html

and "Good SciFi/Fantasty movies/TV?" at
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000658.html

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that the difference between "soft" and "hard" SF has more to do with rigorous analysis of novel technology rather than whether it takes place in space.

In other words, the Federation economy is a "soft" SF element, not because the basic idea of an economy based entirely on intangible currency is "soft", but because the logical implications aren't worked out carefully. If you look at TV shows, even the ones that are supposedly not science fiction tend to have an awful lot of junk science, which is then used in wildly inconsistent ways from one episode to the next and often within an episode (CSI particularly, but it's hardly unique).

"Hard" SF generally only appeals to a very scientifically literate audience, and it's much harder to write. It also rarely lasts well, because of the nature of scientific progress. Often "soft" SF ends up seeming more prescient, since it tends to say "wouldn't it be cool if..." which does a good job of predicting which sorts of technologies people will want to develop. And the majority of the audience (and not just the TV audience) can't tell "hard" SF from "soft" SF.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, one time while I was bookkeeper of a non-profit organization I said to the boss' girlfriend that money was a placeholder for love.

"That's a nice sentiment" she said with pitying sarcasm, "it would go great in a card."

"It would if the card contained money."

But I do think currency is a placeholder for gratitude, if not love. I think there are real reasons that certain brain disorders have as a predictable symptom the abuse of monetary resources, and why money is the principle cause of divorce.

Though I knew of a churchy guy once who gave a talk saying that it wasn't really money, but sexual misunderstanding and people gave money as an excuse because it was socially more acceptable. I have not been able to find a copy of this talk, and my memory of where I heard it is droopsy.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it still has a lot of life in it. Space is the last frontier and no one knows what is out there. Space is also is vast, thousands up on thousands of galaxies so there is plenty to write about.
Rommel Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

franc, You are right Money is a representation of ones service to society (in a capitalistic society) the more people you serve the mone money you make. that's why no money=no service, in general.
Survivor
Member # 213

It differs from person to person. To me, money is a useful instrument of theoretical commodity exchange. I have trouble seeing it as an expression of gratitude...for me, when you give someone money, it means that you don't have to be grateful to them (unless you're underpaying them). Also, I could easily aquire a pretty vast fortune fairly rapidly, but I believe that the methods by which I would most easily do so would markedly decrease the amount of "gratitude" or "love" I would have available for bestowal on others. But then, I believe that both love and gratitude can be exchanged without attaching them to other resources, that they have an independent reality. So I don't mind getting money if I also get gratitude

I think that I've heard the fighting over "money" is really fighting over power and priorities. Since misunderstandings over power and priorities are the number one cause of sexual misunderstandings between men and women (which usually simplify to "man does X, woman withholds sex as punishment, man proceeds to Y and eventually Z as compensation for missing sex"), I think that there is a basis for identifying money as the root cause of many such relationship failures.

And I've discovered that my belief that expressing love doesn't require an exchange of money is not shared by many women I've known. So perhaps it's for the best that the entire monetary system is not long for this world

Zero
Member # 3619

Money is a fraction. Not gratitude.

Gratitude can exist without money. (You don't pay money every time you are grateful for something.)

Money is a representation of (amount of wealth)/(total wealth)

In other words money is to facilitate the exchange of wealth by making universal trades possible.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 10, 2007).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm...I see where you're coming from, but in economic theory "wealth" is a subjective concept, which is the whole point of having a system of currency. If "wealth" were an absolute value, then you could trade any good for anything else without any problem of whether the goods involved were needed by the traders.

But the whole point of money is that, whatever your subjective evaluation of wealth, you only have as much money as somebody else is willing to give you in exchange for whatever you're willing to sell.

Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
but in economic theory "wealth" is a subjective concept, which is the whole point of having a system of currency.

I think the word you're looking for is "price" or "value" not wealth.

quote:
If "wealth" were an absolute value, then you could trade any good for anything else without any problem of whether the goods involved were needed by the traders.

Wrong. If a trader doesn't "demand" a good he will not accept the cost to get it. A person doesn't trade something that he perceives to have value for something he perceives to be worthless. The idea of currency is to give items universal value.

This is a model:

If a Barber demands combs and supplies haircuts. And a Comb-maker supplies combs and demands pizza. The Comb-maker will never accept haircuts to trade for his combs (he perceives them to have value=0) And the Barber will never be able to supply pizza. They cannot trade even though the barber demands a good that the Comb-maker supplies.

The solution is for them to find another party who demands haircuts and supplies pizza. This is very costly to the market because it takes a lot of time to find and make these mutually agreeable trades.

Money is designed to optimize trade possibilities. It is created as a good to make these kind of one-sided demand trades possible. If they both demand money the Barber can trade money for the combs and the Comb-maker can use that money to trade for pizza elsewhere.

quote:
But the whole point of money is that, whatever your subjective evaluation of wealth, you only have as much money as somebody else is willing to give you in exchange for whatever you're willing to sell.

Off the mark a bit again. A good or service has intrinsic value, money does not. again, if you want to talk about price then stop calling it "wealth" Price theory, extremely watered down, is basically that the "price" of something is set by the market. It's a combination of availability (how scarce it is, aka supply) and how demanded it is (demand). In the short run supply is fixed but price and demand can change, turns out they're inversely related.

If you draw it out graphically and make each respective axis "demand" and "price" you'll see that there are fewer demanders if the price is high and more demanders if the price is low. If three people are willing to pay $600 for a new bike and 10 people are not willing to pay more than $60 what defines the actual price?

The answer is simple. The point where the number of demanders equals the supply available is the actual price.

That isn't something that is consciously set, it's a balance made by the market.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 11, 2007).]

Survivor
Member # 213

[quote]The Comb-maker will never accept haircuts to trade for his combs (he perceives them to have value=0)

A good or service has intrinsic value,[quote]

What is wealth? Is it related to "intrinsic value" as opposed to subjective value? Is it the brute fact of any item's existance?

I was using "wealth" to mean property that has subjective value to the possessor such that the possessor will not part with that property without compensation of some kind. And I was pointing out that this definition makes it inherently subjective.

But you seem to be suggesting an alternate definition, yet I cannot make out what that definition would be, and how it wouldn't be based on subjective value rather than "intrinsic value".

Zero
Member # 3619

You forgot the "/" at the end of your quote.

Anyway, you seem like the kind of guy who enjoys being informed and is pretty well versed on a lot of topics.

But... no offense intended... you don't seem to know economics. It's not that what you're saying is irrational, it's just incorrect. Not for lack of trying, mostly just lack of actual study. So, just gently set down the pretense and we'll stop this masquerade of yours, sip a few cold ones and be mates again .

You really should stick to what you know.

To answer your question it isn't your reasoning that is flawed, you're just drowning in the semantics. I don't want to take the time to write an econ lecture on the proper definitions. Simply understand that there are specific terms to represent specific concepts. Easy to misuse or abuse them if you haven't studied them.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 11, 2007).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I guess this is getting too far from writing now. And it appears to be drifting over to another topic as well.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.