Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sub Genre definitions

Author Topic: Sub Genre definitions
BruceWayne1
Member # 4604

- posted      Profile for BruceWayne1   Email BruceWayne1         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading novels for years but until I started reading about writing I had never heard of these designations. Can anyone tell me what these are and the differences?

Science Fiction
Space Opera
Hard
Near Future
Alternate History
Cyberpunk

Fantasy
High
Sword And Sorcery

Posts: 106 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago, on GEnie, Tappan King (who is connected to Tor Books), gave a list of subgenres, and then some examples that he thought fit into those subgenres.

I will post the list of subgenres with their examples that he posted way back then (of course there will be other examples by now, and possibly other subgenres as well).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
From Tappan King (copyright 1993):

SCIENCE FICTION

hard sf = TIMESCAPE, THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE

soft sf = THE STARS MY DESTINATION, THE SPACE MERCHANTS

cyberpunk = NEUROMANCER (natch)

steampunk = THE DIGGING LEVIATHAN, THE DIFFERENCE ENGINE

military sf = STARSHIP TROOPERS, THE FOREVER WAR, WAR WORLDS

alternate world sf = WEST OF EDEN, THE MALACIA TAPESTRY, SS/GB

space opera = STAR WARS, PHOENIX IN FLIGHT, THE PRICE OF THE STARS

space fantasy = Darkover, "the Force," Pern, etc...

FANTASY

traditional fantasy = Tolkien

contemporary fantasy = WAR FOR THE OAKS, WIZARD OF THE PIGEONS

sword and sorcery = Conan, Fafhrd and Mouser

heroic fantasy is s&s with more nobility = Feist's Midkemia, Terry Brooks, etc.

dark fantasy (fantasy division) = heroic or contemporary fantasy with horrific elements, such as SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, Angus Wells

space fantasy (fantasy division) = a fantasy plot placed in a space opera setting, such as Jack Vance

HORROR

supernatural horror is any horror with magic in it, like SALEM'S LOT

realistic horror is horror =without= magic in it = MISERY, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, etc.

splatterpunk is horror with rock'n'roll sensibilities = John Skipp and Craig Spector, David Schow

dark fantasy (horror division) = horror with grand magical elements, like Lovecraft, Arthur Machen, etc. (though a case could be made that most Lovecraft is actually sf of a sort...)

occult horror = supernatural horror with orthodox occult elements, such as ROSEMARY'S BABY

gothic horror = FRANKENSTEIN, Walpole, DRACULA, Poe

LITERARY FICTION

literary fiction can encompass any of these forms, as long as the intent is to produce important, lasting prose, rather than, or as well as, ephemeral entertainment

ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE and LITTLE, BIG are examples of both literary fantasy and magic realism

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and BRAVE NEW WORLD are examples of literary sf

THE TURN OF THE SCREW and most of Kafka are examples of literary horror

<Yes, I know these are radical oversimplifications. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it...>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

That comment at the end, in the brackets < > was Tappan King's, by the way.

I hope his list helps.

Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow... A lot of sub-genre. I wonder which one of the fantasy's I write, because I'm not sure
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
Leigh; you don't have to be sure, that's why publishers hire marketing departments. You write what you want, they'll pidgeon hole you later.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.