Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Graphic, but educational

Author Topic: Graphic, but educational
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
A bowhunter in my area fixed a video camera to his hunting stand, and made a montage of a few of the deer he's taken over the last few years. It's pretty graphic (the camera shows arrow impact). Not many people ever get the chance to see how an animal actually reacts when hit by an arrow, and things getting hit by arrows tends to happen a lot in fantasy writing. If anyone desires to be educated on this point, send me an email and I'll send you the link (don't want to post it here, because I don't want anyone, or their kids, to click on it on accident).
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoot
Member # 3176

- posted      Profile for Zoot   Email Zoot         Edit/Delete Post 

That does sound like it could be eductional to some but frankly I couldn't think of anything I'd rather see less...and I'm just about to sit down and watch Saw 3.

Funny how some people can go all squimish with animals but don't mind seeing a human get hacked to pieces...

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have never shot something with a bow I have seen it with my own eyes. It is quite interesting to see the deer run with a arrow in its neck until it drops dead from loss of blood.
In fantasy writing that I have read a person who has 2 or more arrows in them still fighting and still fighting is fantasy. A human would be in shock after the first arrow.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that a human would stop fighting with two or more arrows in him. There are many tales (real ones) of policemen or soldiers who keep going with several bullets in them. I don't know that arrows would be more "shock-inducing" than bullets. There are even war stories about men still throwing grenades and shooting after having a leg blown off, saving the lives of their friends while knowing they weren't going to survive. And no, I can't quote you sources for these things right now, but if you ask your father or grandfather - if he served in the military - he may have witnessed such things himself.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven’t seen a human get shot with an arrow with my own eyes, now bullets yes and it ant a pretty sight. (Accident at a friend’s house one of our friend’s got shot himself in the right arm with a .22) He passed out in a few minutes.
I am in the Army and I haven’t seen some one with any blown off limbs yet. I haven’t been in combat yet but will in a few months. I have had life saving classes to save someone’s life if they get shot of have a limb blown off, etc. Our PLT medic has actually dun such a thing in his last deployment and he said “When some one gets shot they are usually in shock with in a few minutes.”

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
They tend to drop when the adrenaline wears off.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

There is a limit on how much adrenaline you can give a wounded person.
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel - thank you for what you're doing for our country. And the adrenalyn trailmix was talking about was probably the adrenalyn created by the person himself, not something you give him with an injection. I know when I've been hurt (in dealing wtih horses), I've been amazed at what I could do in the heat of the moment. One time I was on a trail ride, and being one of the trainers at the farm, I was given a barely broke stallion to ride. We dismounted near a train track when we heard the train coming. The stupid engineer blew his whistle (we weren't that close to the track) and my horse reared and pawed me repeatedly, but I never let him go. Let me tell you, getting hit in the chest, arm or shoulder by a horse's hoof is not something you can ignore, but I never noticed being hit, not once. I got the horse calmed down and got back on and rode another twenty miles that day - and the next day, I was the one driving the chase car hauling our lunches, because I was too stiff and sore to mount my horse. I've also been a professional singer and done some stage plays. The high you get from performing is another form of adrenalyn, and you'd be amazed what you can do while on that high - and how hard you crash when the excitement's over!

Rommel - stay safe!! And God bless!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Lynda
Thank you for the compliment and your welcome it is a grate honor to serve.
I don’t ride much the last time I did I had a slight accident a friend of mine in FLA has horses and she trains them and gives classes etc. I had a grate idea to jump on the back of one of her horses that was running around the pin well it reared up and I fell off and busted my a—and nearly blacked out I wont try that again.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
he wolf,

my nephew came back from iraq about a year and a half ago and has just been told that he is to be sent back again.

So I wish you (and him) as much good luck as possible.

On the note mentioned above perhaps different people react differently to the shock of being wounded so badly.

The Australian war museum here has selected portions of the records of war dead available online. Witness statements verifying that the person was really dead are usually contained within them. A relative of mine was shot and killed in France in WW1 . The witness statement in his record said basically:

" I know Bertie Turnbull is dead because I was with him when he got shot and I helped bury him. What happened was, we thought we were clear of (Germans) but as Turnbull went over the hill he was shot from somewhere in the forest. He slid back down toward us. He lay there and laughed about it and rolled a cigarette, but he died before he could smoke it."

I guess everyone probably reacts differently. There are no rules for that sort of thing.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited February 17, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I find this sort of discussion (1) educational, and (2) helpful in confirming my decisions about what to write and what not to write. I've been writing a bunch of stories about people in the military, and I've realized I know nothing about the military other than what I've read, so I decided to avoid those kind of stories for awhile. (I do know a great deal about the postal service, but haven't been able to work anything other than the soul-crushing bureaucracy of it into my work.)

But I certainly need to know about violent injury and death. I've got two coming up in the novelette I'm pounding away on. Some of this has given me a couple of new thoughts on them.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent you an email. I'd like to see the video.

Growing up in Northern Ontario, I've hunted all my life. I've never done bow hunting though, so I'm curious to see how an animal reacts to an arrow.

Should help my writing as well.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Robert Nowall
If you want you can certainly find out be asking a Military Medic who has treated people in combat. They are not to hard to find if you know were to look try a veterans club.
Hoptoad
Where is this web site cant find it in a search. Iraq is by far the better place to live than Afghanistan. Wish I would be going there. Thank you for your wish of Good Luck. I will need it.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You're all invited to read Rabidfox's v. secret diary to gain an insight into the military mind.

quote:
You know, if I ever spend 18 grand or more on something, It had better qualify as a second home, use fuel cells, be a robot, magic, or illegal for me to own. Possibly all of the above.

Okay, so perhaps it's still just Rabidfox's mind, but he is in Afganistan right now.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay. Was out of town. I think I got everyone that wanted the link; if I missed anyone, let me know.

One thing you can't get from the video is a sense of how far the deer traveled from impact to the point where they fell. The shots on that video are good, solid hits to the heart/lung area. Deer hit that well usually travel about 40-50 yards before falling, although sometimes they fall over in shock and never get up (I think the video has one of those) and sometimes they get an adrenaline kick and make it twice that far.

[This message has been edited by J (edited February 19, 2007).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.