Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Preference

Author Topic: Preference
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I am stuck away from home on tour overseas, and I didn't bring a laptop - only because I don't own one (that's going to change). I thought I could write my stories handraulically, but it turns out I prefer typing them out on the computer. Does anyone here prefer pen over computer or both?? It feels to me I can flow better when I type and that I lose my edge when I write - probably just me.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
If I work on the pc, typing, I go much slower and keep going back and changing things. If I work with pen and paper I don't go back at all and can produce a lot of work in a short time. But the quality of work is better on the pc. So I tend to write longhand first then type what I've done onto the pc and edit it there.
Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I write both ways but found the computer is easer than writing on paper only because the computer doesn’t get smeared or torn up like paper.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Paper and pencil, for my most creative, and what I feel is some of my best work. No power supply necessary, just a sunny window sill and some notebook paper.

When I write the first rough, I just write. Editing comes later. Also my pbk dictionary and thesaurus, along with a grammar book are usually nearby.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically impossible for me to write in any kind of significant volume using longhand. I can type a word in the time it would take me to write out a single capital, and lowercase letters go faster simply because I represent them all using slight variations on about three basic strokes, so only I can read what I've written. If I couldn't type, I wouldn't write.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't written fiction longhand in about 40 years. No regrets.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I only write in longhand on my PDA. I hate retyping.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to write with a keyboard.
However, I can't plan a story that way.
I have to do that on paper with a pencil, so I can draw and paste as well.
Is that weird?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no preference...actually...I do.

I handwrite most anything I write to give it the "skeletal structure", then go off and type it into the computer, making edits as I type - giving it the "muscles", then I go back at a later date after I've forgotten everything about it, and make more edits, making it fully fleshed out...theoretically...

- starsin

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say as to whether I have a strong preference one way or the other. I do both. Typing into the computer is a bit more efficient, but also a bit restrictive.

There's something about the smell of paper, glue, ink, and leather that make make scribbling stories in a journal somehow less sterile.

My next experiment will be to invest in some voice recognition software and give a go at divorcing my hands and the corresponding parts of the brain from the process, at least the initial creative portion. I'd do it now, except that my "writing" computer still runs on Windows '98 and I haven't found a voice recognition package still available that will run on it. Means I'll have to spring for a new computer first, then the software.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up with typewriters, then switched to a one-lunged word processor, then to computers. I find the flexibility to constantly fiddle with what I'm written to be very useful, but I'm not married to the process. I can still write either way.

In fact, a couple of years ago when I had writer's block, I dug out my old manual typwriter, a birthday-gift-by-request from my parents, and started writing out a couple of short stories on it. I called it Going Back to Square One. After that I returned to word processing. (One story bounced when I finished and submitted it...the other I typed up a revised draft on my computer, and filed pending further revision.)

Retyping something does force you to reconsider every sentence and word you've written...not just by fiddling with one draft until you think you're finished. It wasn't just to make it look neat and presentable.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I can write either way, though I find with a keyboard I produce more work and better work than I can with a pencil. The reason appears to be that while typing, I can keep up with my thoughts and when handwriting I cannot. The slower speed allows things to be lost while I concentrate on trying to keep my handwriting neat enough that I can read it later.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
I type REALLY FAST, and I have carpal tunnel, so I avoid handwriting as much as possible (typing doesn't hurt my hands because I'm a trained pianist and don't drop my wrists - I'm also a sculptor, which gives me even stronger hands - but I was born with weak wrists, go figure). I can type about as fast as I can think (honestly) and it's much more satisfying to see the words FLOW onto the screen than to struggle and pick and choose words when writing by hand (as I do in hard-copy edits). I work best on my desktop computer, but when we're traveling by car or truck, I use my laptop computer the whole trip while my hubby drives (he likes to drive, and he's a quiet man, so he doesn't mind not having a lot of conversation going on while he's driving). Works out well for both of us!

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that humans think at somewhere around 300-500 wpm, if I remember correctly. You gals/guys must really fly on the keyboard. My kids can't even go that fast.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
PC... Laptop... Anything with a keyboard, thesaurus, and a spellcheck!

I literally just bought another PC yesterday, 'cause my laptop just sh**-the-bed; PCs are cheaper.

Ironically, I'm a professional artist, have won over 137 awards for work that was started with paper and pencil, yet, I can't produce anything but dribble, if it's not on a keyboard.

Go figure...<shrug>

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited February 19, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the keyboard, because when I do the pen & paper thing I lose energy thinking about how I would later have to type it up anyway. Also sometimes when I'm stuck I see the words I need highlight themselves on the keyboard.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I use both. I think writing by hand definitely has some advantages.
1. You don't have to be at your computer.
2. I like my handwriting.
3. I can doodle if I feel like it.

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited February 20, 2007).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when I write longhand (I've kept a boring diary of my day's activities that way for twenty-five-some years now), I'll misspell words as if I'm hitting the keys next to them on the typewriter. I can't imagine why, or how I could even pick up such a habit.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
In the old days, you couldn't see the words as you were typing. But now you can. You see a common misspelling of a word often enough, and that imprints on your mind as an alternate spelling, even though you know it's a misspelling.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the computer--when my thoughts burst, I love how I can get it all out FAST (although my wrists protest later.) Longhand I like for development, character interviews/sketching, initial stuff. And of course, line editing (you just don't catch those odd mistakes on the screen!)

I use a manual typewriter too at times, when the computer's otherwise occupied, but hate the "typing curve" when I go back to the keyboard--I try to pound it.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with some that the one draw back to the computer is that you often slow down to correct (maybe not all the time). Which draws you away from your initial flow, although when writing I need to re-read it a few times - just to understand it (sloppy hand-writing, hence why I prefer computer/typewriter).
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One other thing---at least for the moment, before I think of something else. Mention of "doodling" brought it to mind.

Just before I switched over to word processing, I had taken to sketching out assorted maps and diagrams on the rough draft pages as I wrote them. Layouts of the rooms the action takes place...maps of the immediate location...uniforms and insignia...story diagrams...drawings in perspective of the "set"...all sorts of nonsense.

I tried to carry this on when I switched over, on separate places, but I kept losing track of the papers and notebooks I'd write them in. I've learned to do without, but I tend to regret not doing it...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.