Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are you a writer?

Author Topic: Are you a writer?
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Heinlein said:

1. You must write.
2. You must finish what you write.
3. You must refrain from rewriting, except to editorial order.
4. You must put the work on the market.
5. You must keep the work on the market until it is sold.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything but number one is irrelevant to the question.
Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
good point
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a huge difference between an "author" and a "writer."

I write, so I'm a writer. I haven't publsehd a book yet, so I'm not really an "author."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I agree only #1 matters. But to follow the list.

1) Frequently
2) Two books finished, and one short story
3) mostly yes.
4) The book's doing the rounds, the short story will be there after it's polished and up here for feedback
5) Plan on it.

I think if you can tick of #2 you are an author. Being published is a completely different issue.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're a writer so long as writing is a passion. If you can continue to write whether people like what you write or not, you're still a writer. You're only not a writer when you give up. Sure, being a published writer would be fun. Being a rich writer will be even more fun. But for now, I'm a simple writer, and that's fun enough.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about #3.

Perhaps for the writing challenge that is being bandied about we should rewrite some Heinlein.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 4638

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand #3 at all. Does he mean you should write your whole book straight through and then never touch it again? That's impossible, unless you're, like, Asimov.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling with #3 myself. Especially since I have gone all the way through to #5 and sold a novel, I can't see why it hurt me that I actually wrote 3 nearly full drafts of the novel before I sent it out. It didn't seem to have hurt me.

I guess maybe there is some truth to the idea that you need to know when to stop if you want to be a *successful* writer. (author?) Of course, only #1 is required to be a writer.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited February 22, 2007).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Christine, it sounds like you redrafted, not rewrote. That's one reason why I have a lot of training stories floating around. After hearing the virtues of the one-draft writer hailed by such people as Isaac Asimov, OSC, and, of course, Heinlein, I intentionally trained myself to be a one-draft writer. IMHO, quantity will produce quality, and if you go into the story thinking that this will be mostly right on the first draft, you've got 90% of the battle won.

For me, the battle is mostly fought before I put down the first word. Like Mozart in Amadeus, the music is written "up here." The rest is just scribbling and bibbling, bibbling and scribbing. That's how one draft writing works, the story is done before you start.

That doesn't mean I never tinker. I often have the need to back-fill. When a story has bigger problems, it's not worth a rewrite. Instead, you redraft. What's the difference? When you rewrite, you go through the story fixing things here and there, and moving this sentence over there, adding a little here, taking this out, rewording this and making it more like so, and massaging and evermore manipulating until you've rewritten it into a pile of emotionless letters. When you redraft, you start the story from scratch and run thorugh it again.

This interpretation comes not from me, but from Dean Wesley Smith, who used to hang out with Damon Knight, and knew Heinlein.

I'm redrafting a novel right now. The original has too many problems to rewrite.

Anyway, I'm not proposing anybody change to one-draft writing if something else works better. My way works for me, but people did raise the question of what rule #3 means. That's my not-so-short answer.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited February 22, 2007).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Rage
Member # 5045

- posted      Profile for Jim Rage           Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Spaceman. Dean would be proud.

This proved to be a very interesting discussion over in DWS's forums a couple of weeks ago.

The opinions varied greatly...a lot more than I expected.

^JR^

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Christine, you only did 3 drafts? You must be wonder woman or something

I'm on draft 4 and I'll get to at least 5 before I start sending my novel to the world.

Matt

Spaceman
Member # 9240

Hey, Jim,

Welcome to Hatrack. There's a decent bunch over here, even if they tend toward fantasy. :P

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
A quote I have in all my signatures on all the boards I visit is,

"If you write, you are a writer. If you are not talented, you will not get published as often, or at all." -Orson Scott Card

I believe in it so much, I live it..........

Asimov said that Heinlien edited just once and that was it. Few authors have that much skill. Asimov found he had to edit at least twice (or was it three times).

[This message has been edited by rstegman (edited February 23, 2007).]

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
On re-drafting/rewriting (what's the difference, by the way?)

I can't imagine not redoing my WIP novel. I'll be thrilled if 30% of the material stands resonably close to as-is. I guess it's a function of how I work. I've found I write to discover the story rather than think up a story then transcribe it. I've tried the latter, and it just wasn't effective. Maybe after I work though the process a few times I'll be more efficient.

On the original topic, I would not be considered a writer under those rules. Lucky for me, I'm not subjected to them.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
RMatthewWare: The three draft novel (and yes, it was reDRAFTED not reWRITTEn...I hadn't known there was a difference) was kind of an anomaly, but it was also just the thing I needed.

I spent years writing and rewriting one particular novel. I would turn to other things for short periods of time, write a few chapters, give up, and go back to that one novel....I'm sure many of you have one like it.

Finally, one day, about 3 years ago, I decided enough was enough. It was time for me to sit down, plan out a novel, and write it from beginning to end no matter what. I took an on-line course to help with motivation and chose a topic that was quite different from what I normally wrote. I thought this would be challenging, help diversify me as a writer, and keep me from thinking about the things I normally wrote.

I got discouraged a few times, especially when the one-draft method didn't exactly work for me. I ended up making two sweeping changes to the plot with necessitated redrafting. But I did finish it, and that was a first for me.

It opened things up for me, though. I wrote another complete novel this past summer (one that I may only need to edit rather than redraft) and now, finally, I'm back on that one story -- the one I've written and written and written and written -- but now I know I'm on my last draft. For better or for worse, I've learned how to finish a project and decide that it is done, even knowing that it could always be just a little bit better if I went through it one more time. Sooner or later, you just have to stop.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Dee boncii,
Do you write an outline before you begin to write? Before I wrote my novel I had the entire thing outlined, every chapter, start to finish. Then I started writing to basically fill in the story. Now while editing the story is twice as long, but it did help to have an outline to keep things straight. I now have a good outline for the second book and rough plot ideas for three books after that.

I never outline short stories, though.

Matt

Murphy7
Member # 5053

- posted      Profile for Murphy7           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I a writer? I truly believe that anyone who writes, is a writer. I think of the journals I've read of pioneer women and men, who wrote of simple lives fraught with uncertainties and threats. Often their language was fractured and unrefined. But how their words grabbed my heart! Anyone who has a story, a poem, a thought or a feeling that will not be quieted until it has been written down, is a writer. To my mind, a writer becomes an author, when he/she has completed the piece.

Becoming published is most writers' dream. But that dream carries with it all the contorting saws and hammers employed to make the story suitable for publishing. I agree that many of the tools used for preparation to publish also hone the story and discipline the writer. But the baker of cookies, was a baker before he sold the cookies. ;->

Kathy

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Heinlein was a great writer...but Heinlein and his rules muddy the water. #1 and #2 are good rules...

...but as for #3, everybody should do their best work before showing it to an editor, which means "rewrite." Heinlein did a lot of rewriting purely on his own, if the letters in Grumbles from the Grave are any judge.

...#4 has some value---but if you think something is not up to your own standards, don't send it out.

...and if I followed #5, I'd still be sending out thirty-year-old stories that even I think are awful.

I consider myself a writer. I used to say my regular job was only a hobby...but my "hobby" pays my bills and my avocation pays nothing. I've had to be realistic about it, which is why I keep going through periods of little writing. (The last few months have been pretty good---the last week-and-a-half has been sensational.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
RMatthewWare

The most direct answer is no, I did not use an outline.

I've read tons of stuff on writing in the last couple years since the bug bit me. That exposed me to different ways one could approach writing a novel. I was initially attracted to the idea of using an outline, because it made a lot of sense. So I started off trying to outline first. To make a long story short, I kept getting bogged down with the outline, so I finally said to heck with it and just sat down and wrote the thing. Next time, I'll start with an outline again and see if I do better. I also intend to create an outline for the first/current one in preparation for the revisions I intend.

There's a quote I read in a place I forgot from a notable writer I forgot that said. "Sure I'll give you an outline of my story, just as soon as I finish writing it." That's not where I intended to get when I started out, but it is where I wound up.

It's encouraging to hear you had good success using an outline. I understand it's a minority approach, and gives me a measure of hope that I might pull it off someday.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
But I did finish it, and that was a first for me.

It's amazing what can happen to a person when they discover the ability to complete a project. I had many false starts on my novel, and when I finally decided to finish it, I became a writer. There's no looking back.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

I once heard someone say that there's a hundred ways to cook an egg. He was actually talking about cooking eggs, but it applies to writing. There's a hundred different ways to write a book or a short story, and as least as many ways to get published. You just have to find your fit.

Matt

Spaceman
Member # 9240

All of the ways include finishing the book.
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Yes.

Matt

Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice if the published writers say such things like that--and not that each of their individual ways are law! That can sure bandy about the up-and-comings who worship the ground that they walk on and try and emulate something that they're just not meant to do.

A quote from the author Sol Stein that I completey agree with: "A writer is someone who cannot not write."

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Except that I am a writer who can "not write."

At least, for some periods of time.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.