Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rewrite Challenge Discussion Zone

Author Topic: Rewrite Challenge Discussion Zone
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is, folks.

I'm very pleased to see this start up again.

A special Thank You to Mike for the shove, to Kathleen for the Challenge thread and the trigger, to everyone who's excited about it. I hope it gets you writing (and finishing) a fantastic story.

Here's a link to the rules for the Resurrected Rewrite Challenge #1:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum7/HTML/000001.html

And, for those who STILL haven't caught on, a link to the discussion that got it all going:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/003802.html

Keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times, and HAVE FUN!!!

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited March 01, 2007).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

The following have 'registered' to participate this month:

J
InarticulateBabbler
Pyre Dynasty
trailmix
Dee_Boncci
hoptoad
RMatthewWare
Dude
quantumphotonkid
Zoot
Dulci
francli
and...ME!

If you still want to jump in, feel free!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Hello boys and girls.

So, I read the story today. You know. The Little Tailor.

A word of caution as you approach your challenge:

The version of the Little Tailor in the Challenge post is not a simple little tale from which to build a nice 5000 word story. It's considerably more complex than that. In reality, it's four stories in one with a common theme ("Seven with one blow!") running throughout.

Speaking from past experience, simplify.

Identify those four stories and choose only one or two from which to gain your inspiration. Otherwise you'll be trying to wrestle a dragon into a shoebox.

Do NOT feel the need to rewrite the entire story. Do NOT feel the need to be religiously true to every plot point contained within it. Pick and choose the parts that get your brain churning and discard the rest.

Let your imagination and interests steer for you.

In the first rewrite challenge (the goat one) we had such a sweeping range of stories, it amazed even us. We had a tap-dancing ninja mom, a space-pirate, a bragging spider (published, by the way), Big Bob--Used Car King, Loki the trickster, a deliciously dark tale of a magical town called 'Bridgetown,'a faithful Samurai warrior, an Australian Outback seer, a time-traveling scientist, and a couple of very clever but true-to-the-original rewrites.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Five days in.

How're things coming?

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've looked at the story. Wasn't real inspired at the Grimm's version, but some things are starting to cogitate upstairs. I hope "twist" can mean wring the living crap out of it.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
you're right.

It is four stories but there is a single overriding theme.
Should we discuss those themes here or keep them to ourselves?
I have decided on setting and created a scene list and am working to maintain the theme AND have content recognisably derived from the original.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 05, 2007).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rough outline. A little worried about a blearing cliche Im using. Hopefully I can bring it off with style.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

I don't see a problem with discussing the themes. It might help someone get some ideas. It also might help some less experienced writers see how to break something down into usable ideas.

So, hoptoad, theme away.

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've finally got something cooking. I don't know how much it'll resemble the original, or whether I'd even succeed in convincing someone that it was inspired by The Brave Little Tailor. I just took one of the little episodes and genericized the the conflict and resolution, transported it to a different millieu, and created characters with (hopefully) identifiable motivations.

It would be fun to recast the entire tale, but doing it in 5000 words is well above my present ability.

So even if it's a resounding dud in the context of the challenge, I think it will be a neat little story.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

No DUDS in this challenge if it gets you writing!

That's the real purpose of it.

RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever reading The Little Tailor. Is there a place online I can read it? Or do I have to go to the library?

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started on it. I have some pretty clear ideas on how to twist the myth to a darker side.

As for the recurring theme, I had a different take on it. The obvious "Seven with One Blow" statement wasn't the theme to me, on first read. It was Victory-by-Wit! When the "Seven with One Blow" theme was introduced, I immediately thought of it as a "Braggart Winning the Day" theme, and I didn't really like that.

Then I started thinking about Indiana Jones. He was an accidental hero. Twisting my first train-of-thought with the accidental hero line of reasoning, I came up with a "Accidental Hero lucking his way to a Kingdom" theme.

LOL - I have since murdered that idea, though. I'll save what I came up with for the posting.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 07, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

RMatthewWare,

There's a link in the first post of the thread. It's tough to read because it isn't punctuated well. If you google "the little tailor" you can find better punctuated versions. It's an old Brother's Grimm fairy tale, so it's pretty easy to find.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the problems with that version of the story. I googled "The Little Tailor" and picked that one because I thought it was closest to what I believe Heinlein was referring to when he included it in his list of story types.

You are all welcome to find other versions and refer to them if you prefer.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Well, I saw this theme:

The little tailor creates for himself a 'heroic' past and others 'buy in' to the story.
Why does he do it?
Why did he not clarify the point?
We are never sure whether he believes he is a hero or whether he is mendacious.
When his 'cover' seems to be blown, he creates an even bigger story.

Is it a coping mechanism?

This is just one theme.
There are plenty of other ie:

Rulers only hold the power if the people let them.
We make our own luck.
The precarious position of a leader who gains his position through deceit, division and creating fear.

Another question: would you want a wife like that? Why does he want to hold on to her? What happens when she loses fear of him?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

By the end of the Little Tailor, I ended up hating the guy.

Conceited, an inflated sense of self-worth, deceitful. I really wanted him to lose in the end, so...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's off-subject, but
quote:
Rulers only hold the power if the people let them.
We make our own luck.
The precarious position of a leader who gains his position through deceit, division and creating fear.

made me laugh. I thought that this aptly describes every president I can remember--ecept for Ford.

• When his 'cover' seems to be blown, he creates an even bigger story.

I didn't get him creating a bigger story, he just implied it. He let everyone believe what they wanted to--he didn't actually claim anything until the very end. I found that he overcame each challenge by using his wits, and technically did defeat what he claimed to defeat.

quote:

Another question: would you want a wife like that? Why does he want to hold on to her? What happens when she loses fear of him?

I wouldn't want a wife like her anyway--she is clearly materialistic and condescending, and she comes from liar's stock. She plot's murder with her father over the fact that he's a tailor and not some professional warrior. He never claimed to be.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 08, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dakota,

I think I work with that guy.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

Dakota - I agree, I didn't like him either. It almost inspired to write about a politician. (shudder)
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:
I didn't get him creating a bigger story, he just implied it.

Won't deny the cleverness of the little tailor.
I did not say he lied.
I said he deceived.
He certainly loves the "deception" more than the truth and will allow others to keep believing it while ever it serves his purpose.

Whether it was intentional or not is not clear -- initally.
It is clear toward the end, however, that he will try to hold on to power through continued deception and causing fear and probably division.

Will he divide the woman and her father in order to defeat them?
Has the lying old king finally run into a better liar?

What happens when a child of the union discovers the truth too?

I also forgot to mention the theme of dishonestly profiting off the honest efforts of others. Remember the giant and the tree?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 08, 2007).]

hoptoad
Member # 2145

PS: I think it is interesting to try and make him more sympathetic.
Not in a Disneyesque way but genuinely more likable.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I LIKED the guy. I found him comical and clever, a bit like Bugs Bunny.

I really don't discount all of the opinions that I have read here, I can see how you got to them, but I have a completely different point of view.

hoptoad, I think we have managed to start something. I bet some creative juices are flowing now. If everyone has taken a stake in whether or not they like the tailor, I think we've made him real.

I would imagine some are going to assassinate our tailor; turn him into a bad guy, or make him a truly "good" guy--in their opinion. Either way, it's beginning to affect people.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 09, 2007).]

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

How's everyone doing with their stories? I've come to the realization that I will be hard-pressed to abide by the 5000 word limit as things stand at the moment. But I've still got time to find a way to whack it down without getting too choppy.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Dee, don't worry too much about word count. We try to give that limit because when you're done with your story it's in a length that's easier to sell.

10,000 word stories have a very limited number of markets (I'm learning from experience). 5000 word stories have a very broad range of potential markets.

If your story is getting too big, examine your characters. Can you cut anyone? Examine your conflicts. Are there any the story doesn't need? Are you trying to use too much of the source material?

To shorten a story you just have to start shaking off the fluff. That's HARD sometimes. It's almost like cutting off your dog's legs because you often have an emotional attachment to the words that have come from yourself. But if you do it, you just might find that your dog is happier without them.

Sick imagery there, I know.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I was feeling blocked on my novel and wondered if I should take a stab at this. I read the trigger on March 1, and it left me bewildered and cold, and also trying to picture the Mickey Mouse version. After reading some of your thoughts, I think it might have to do with the social construction of reality (as this idea of 7 at one blow grows, it becomes fact). I don't know, is there ever a point where he escalates the lie other than from a certain type of peril? I guess it depends on the version. Other possibilities, make the MC a character other than the tailor.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Is it acceptable to post the first thirteen if it's just a first draft? I'm asking because I have a trade show coming up on the 30th, and I have to prepare.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

First drafts ABSOLUTELY qualify. But it has to be the first thirteen of a COMPLETED story. NO partials.

You only 'win' the challenge if you finish it.

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

Well, I got sidetracked by a surprise visit from family this week, but I still managed to get to within about 300-500 words of the end of my draft, so at minimum I'll be that far along.

I have a lot of doubts about this story as it stands now (I can't come up with much of a motive for the antagonist(s)), but I'll have a week or so to revise it, then maybe I'll toss it out on the F/F for Shorts forum to try and get a little feedback before the end of the month.

Dakota: thanks for the suggestions on revising. I think I will be coming in under 8k with the draft, so with a bit of ruthlessness I can probably get it in the ballpark of 5k.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I've posted my 13.

It's still in 1st draft, because of time constraints. I am going to be away from the 29th or 30th until April 2nd. If I am going to send it out, it's got to be soon.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

Yay! A finisher!

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I will be out of town from the 31st to the 2nd of April. You guys are one your own to finish up the challenge and share the stories around.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I leave today, until April 2nd. So, I will check who has requested a copy one time, later today. Then, I'm gone. I will check again on the second.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Okay. I'm out of here for the weekend. I'll check back in Monday. I'll be ready for some story swaps.
franc li
Member # 3850

Hmm. I wonder if I should still attempt this. Maybe I'll make it about a guy serving in Afghanistan. Hmm. Only Survivor knows how unpleasant my next sentence might have been.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

I have a few last edits to key in tonight, then I'm as done as I'll get for now. I went ahead and posted the first thirteen over there.

Whew!

franc li
Member # 3850

I did come up with an interesting angle on this story and punched out an opening scene, but I'm just too exhausted to do anything with it. Basically, it's set at a joint Army/Air Force facility in Afghanistan, and the "tailor" is a corporal who is assumed to be a rake of major proportions. It would have had an interesting Mr. Darcy twist to it. Misunderstandings, reverse prejudice, bosoms, piano skills.

It would have been awesome.

Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack - here it is at the end of the month and I didn't write a single word of this! I've been caught up in other projects...ah well, next time!!!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.