Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Is the bad guy always the bad guy?

Author Topic: Is the bad guy always the bad guy?
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 

I don’t like clear cut good vs. evil story lines anymore. As I have realized that in real life we are seldom good or bad, we are just there to get by.

The other day at the local Wally World, a woman was going through the self checkout line and she wasn’t checking everything in her basket. I was in a position to tell the manager of the theft, but the things she wasn’t ringing up were Diapers and baby food. Now would I be the bad guy to let her steal knowing it was wrong, or to stop the theft knowing what she was stealing she probably really needed.

Well as it turned out I didn’t have to act either way. A very large man behind her caught her and made her ring up everything. Then he proceeded to swipe his Credit Card and pay for everything. I was moved, so as he was leaving I stopped him and asked him why. Turns out he was the store manager and had been following her for some time throughout the store, and he wasn’t willing to put a mom in jail for 50$.

In my current story I am having a time making my “villain” seem a good guy. He is the bad guy but I want to show his point of view and that he may not be such a bad guy just his goals conflict with my heroes’ goal. He is bad I just want to show a side of him that isn't so bad.

I want him to be likeable and charismatic but not in a car salesman way. So far I’ve been writing his inner turmoil about his actions and that he knows that they aren’t the best choices but since he made them he must live with them.
Any other things I should try?

Keep in mind that this guy is very bad. Stomp on kitties bad. But is fighting with his innerself(is that a word?).

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the woman at Wal-Mart is bad. I have to buy diapers and formula too. When one person steals, us honest ones have to pay extra. But that's a debate all in itself.

There are some really bad people in this world. There are bad people that aren't just trying to get by, they are truly evil people. That's not to say that they don't have some good in them. Few people are purely evil. They do the things because they believe what they are doing is necessary, possibly even good.

Most people that do bad things don't think what they are doing is bad. Take your Wal-Mart thief. She is trying to take care of her children, she doesn't realize that by stealing she is making things tough for others. Or is it just that? Perhaps she has the money, and she steals because she can. Is it about the thrill? Does she have kids at all? Maybe she just sells diapers and formula to others for discount prices. These things are expensive. I take my son to the store with me. He sits in the car seat with a blanket over his head. He often sleeps at the store and on one really knows for sure if he's in there. I could be stealing a lot of things and putting them in the car seat. No one really knows for sure. I don't think most people would ask to check for risk of offending me.

There are good examples of bad guys and how the author gets us in their head. We are shown that they aren't completely evil, or that they became that way as a result of events. "Wild Seed" by Octavia Butler is a good example of this.

Try writing your antagonist as a good guy. Show the good things he does, show his motivations as being good. In fact, you could sketch a story how he is actually the good guy. Then twist it a little so that he happens to be a bad guy.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Matt. The woman was wrong and should not have been rewarded for theft. I’ve known of people who have no money for diapers and formula but somehow have no problem finding funds for meth and pot. Spinning bad to seem good or justifiable is an ancient art, at least as ancient as a snake in a tree. Joseph knew without anyone telling him that adultery was wrong. Today it would hardly be viewed as anything other than following your heart.

You say, “I don’t like clear cut good vs. evil story lines anymore. As I have realized that in real life we are seldom good or bad, we are just there to get by.”
I am nobody to judge but that reasoning (while not rare) seems to be out on a limb to me. I wouldn’t want to live in a society that had that as its judicial mantra. That being said however, in today’s world, you would be in thick company if you wrote with that undercurrent.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
Good vs. Bad
Holy vs. Evil

Each one of us has the ability to be truly good or evil. The choice to be either is what makes us human. The choice for neither also makes us human. I believe most of us don’t look at our actions as good or evil. We just look at it as the decision of the moment either good or bad we must live with that decision.

And Matt it’s not a question of what she was doing that was bad. It was my choices that were in debate. Either way it could have been seen as a "Bad" choice or a "Good" choice. Morality is a funny beast.

[This message has been edited by Alye (edited March 07, 2007).]

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
How about give him a horrible past? Not to excuse his actions, but explain them? Explain his attitude: his parents/ex-girlfriend/wife/brother/uncle screwed him up.

I'm having a related but different problem. I like my characters so much I'm having a hard time putting them into tension/conflict/turmoil! LOL

Karen

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quantumphotonkid
Member # 4150

- posted      Profile for quantumphotonkid   Email quantumphotonkid         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no good and evil. Societies' laws and ethics are merely there to maintain the Nash equilibrium in which we live...

Anyway, while I've seen plenty of not-so good guys, I haven't seen a whole lot of not-so bad guys. I think it'd be interesting to write equally from both PoV's (not-so good guy and not-so bad guy), and let the reader decide which one is good and which one is bad.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Matt it’s not a question of what she was doing that was bad. It was my choices that were in debate. Either way it could have been seen as a "Bad" choice or a "Good" choice. Morality is a funny beast.

You would have been right to report her. In a society governed by laws, everyone is responsible for obeying and upholding them. Obeying laws matters because we do not live in anarchy. As a responsible citizen, you should have reported her. Would that be easy? No. Would I have reported her in your situation? Doubtful, I don't like causing problems. But it would have been a good choice. Someone that willfully breaks the law, for any reason, will continue to do so. That person will teach their children to break the law when it suits their needs or wants. It has to be stopped somewhere.

quote:
I'm having a related but different problem. I like my characters so much I'm having a hard time putting them into tension/conflict/turmoil! LOL

Really KayTi? I enjoy beating up on my characters, and I love them to death. Which is quite literal, because some die, or will eventually.

quote:
There is no good and evil. Societies' laws and ethics are merely there to maintain the Nash equilibrium in which we live...

Hogwash! But that's a debate for another day. Actually, I think it's already going on in another thread

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people can do bad things for good reasons. The reasons are internal motivation, and may not seem like good reasons to others.

In the case of the shopper, her reason may or may not have been good. There are programs to help people who can't afford these things for their children. My wife works with children who have disadvantages in life, so I get to hear some of how those programs work. However, in the case of the woman, there is a lot we don't know when it comes to motivation. She might not have had enough to buy it all or she might have and just wanted to save some money. She might have had alternatives or she might not have. The act itself was immoral, but the motivation may or may not be so. We can only guess from the information given.

The Store Manager probably thought he was doing a good thing, too. However, his action may have sent the offender a message that it is okay to do what she did, despite it being illegal. I wonder if she'll be more likely or less likely to try that again in that particular store.

Bad Guy motivation has always been interesting to me, but the one rule (for me) is that it must be believable. Generally, antagonists think they do good things (or the result will be good, despite the evil necessary.) One antagonist I enjoyed knew his actions were bad, but he was trying to build a better world for the people. He even knew he could never exist in that world, because he admitted he was an evil man. Therefore, he knew he would have to die (kill himself) before his vision could be realized. He was portrayed in a way that made him believable to me.

Bad Guys may or may not feel they are bad. One person may think the ends justify the means, while another thinks the means justify the ends, and a third will think neither justifies the other. Within those, there could be degrees of tolerance, too. When they are at odds, each might see the other as the antagonist in their own story.

What I can't tolerate are antagonists who seem to be bad for no apparent reason or 'because they are evil.' I think there should be something for which they are reaching and striving, and a reason they are doing it. Then you can even explore what sparked that reason, what reinforced it in their life and so forth.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the joke where a little bird was freezing. A bull walks by and dumps a load on top of it. It is warm and the bird becomes happy and starts singing. A wolf comes by, hearing the bird singing, digs it out and eats it.
The moral is that not all who are dumping on you are bad, and not all digging you out are doing you a favor.

A story where the "evil" person is actually trying to help the MC but the MC does not know it. It would be like the evil is trying to get the MC to safety and the MC keeps avoiding the attempts to get him there.
REal evil is also working on the MC, acting as if he is trying to help. The MC is being lead deeper and deeper into the tenticles of the real evil.
The MC is finally captured brought to the "evil" person. He likely escapes and ends up in the cluches of the bad guy only to learn the truth of what is going on.
There might be some treatment during the story where the MC is forced (possibly chased) by the "evil" through situations that toughens and trains him. When the final confrontation arrives, the MC is ready to deal with the final enemy. NOw the final enemy might be not be a person but instead the winter, or having to cross a mountain, a journey. The MC is forced to be prepared to handle it against his own will.

While my example is not good, it might be one way to have the one dumping on the MC to be doing it to help.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of "good vs. evil" threads around since I've been here, but I don't think I'm up to hunting them up and putting links in this. Most days I can barely manage italics.

I'll repeat my position on good and evil, and good and evil characters. I don't think anybody thinks of themselves as evil in their own mind---even if they're shouting "I'm evil!" it's just a pose on their part. So I assume my characters have their reasons for doing whatever they're doing---it might not seem a good reason to another character, but it seemed good enough to the one in question.

How did I motivate my bad guys in my latest work? Let me think, let me think...oh, yeah. I had one of the "bad guys" chasing after another of the "bad guys," because that one did something nasty with his sister. {This may change. It's still a rough draft.) During this chase, he bangs up two of my "good guys" pretty bad, 'cause they were in his way. To this particular "bad guy," he's the "good guy," and to him, the guy he's chasing and anybody who interferes with his chase is a "bad guy." (God, it can get so complex.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
Give me until this afternoon to edit this post and make it better, 'kay?

Anyways...go read Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Somewhere in there a character named Zedd will give the MC a lecture on good and evil and how it's all the perspective of the doer. The bad guys never ever think that they're the bad guys, they always see themselves as in the "right".

I'll post direct quote this afternoon.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's Characters & Viewpoint has something on this. I wish I had more to add.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Like my parents taught me, there are consequences for every decision whether they are good or bad. So if a bad guy is your protag, by all means tell us his story -- but I will expect him to face justice in the end.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Killing cats is not bad I call it population control.
What if what he is doing truly is good in the long run? But his actions are truly evil. Like killing thousands of people who otherwise cant be helped in the long run and it they were to live it would be a burden on Society and the economy to support them. Sure he could save them and be called a hero but the aftereffects would be devastating. He could send them away but they would still drain recourses that are needed elsewhere. He would in turn save the grater good by being evil and killing thousands.
What ever it is you are what you call your self. He could suffer from the thought of killing thousands of insistent people who were helpless to save hundreds of thousands. And it would be even worse if he already had a bad reputation of killing innocent people.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

Hitler came up with definitions of what a master race should look like. Definitions that he didn't live up to. He killed off those that didn't meet the standards. If we he would have been able to continue, he may have eradicated some defects found in humans. We could destroy AIDS, and every other STD for that matter, by either killing of isolating everyone that has it. He could eliminate cancer by killing anyone who has it (since cancer is often hereditary). Wouldn't that save pain and suffering in the long run?

Matt

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Right that is my point exactly.
I don’t believe in a master human race. I don’t think humans can ever be come a master race. We are just to damn self confined about things but when something bad happens to some other people we need to rush in and change things. I think it is Madness to try. I only care about what happens to this country I serve and am wiling to defend it. I don’t care about the pore bustards who are dieing elsewhere when there are pore bustards dieing here that we need to fix first.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

[This message has been edited by Rommel Fenrir Wolf II (edited March 08, 2007).]

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Okay..... ummm... so I liked your rewrite of Urban Fantasy there Matt. ahhh, I should go... I need to change the air in my tires.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer to look at what we often call "bad guys" as antagonists instead. (The terms we choose really can make a difference.)

An antagonist is someone whose goals come into conflict with those of the protagonist. And those goals don't necessarily have to be "bad" goals. They just have to come into conflict.

Aristotle, in his POETICS, I believe, even pointed out that the most tragic kind of story is one where the protagonist and antagonist find out after it's too late that they were both striving for worthy goals, but only one of them could win. (And the story, of course, is told from the point of view of the one who wins--at tragic cost to the antagonist.)

I like to think that when you've got an antagonist with a goal as worthy as the protagonist's goal that you have a chance for an especially good story if you can figure out how the two can come to cooperate and both win to some extent. (A movie example of this might be the Harrison Ford/Tommy Lee Jones version of THE FUGITIVE.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I watched that movie slammed the other day and could not figure it out. It seems that it had to do with a doctor getting accused of killing his wife and evidence pointed elsewhere or something to that affect.
Rommel Fenrir wolf II

trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
I weigh intentions into whether or not an action is good or evil (immoral vs Moral). Feeding and clothing your kids is good. It is the primary focus of every parent in the universe or should be. Stealing is almost invariably bad but not necessarily immoral. It can be a bad choice by a good person. Since feeding and clothing your children is more good than stealing is bad, the action itself is not immoral just a bad choice. If she knows about goverment assisteance programs and refuses them based on pride. Then it would be immoral. Or perhaps she is waiting on her first welfare check but needed some things to tide her over. She should have asked for assistance from friends or family but perhaps she doesn't have any or they are just as burdened as her. Bad choices are not necessarily immoral. Morality, from what I have seen, is never black and white.

Was she wrong to do it? Yes. but was it immoral, I could go either way.

Is Robin Hood immoral? Context and intentions are huge factors in deciding the difference between immoral and moral.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

My version of Robin Hood. Steel from the poor to give to the rich.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don’t like clear cut good vs. evil story lines anymore. As I have realized that in real life we are seldom good or bad, we are just there to get by. .... Keep in mind that this guy is very bad. Stomp on kitties bad. But is fighting with his innerself(is that a word?).

I don't know that I really have much more to add to the above, but it sounds to me like you recognize that people are all good or all bad, but you're unconsciously make him all bad anyway and are now fighting to redeem him. Remember, what the fellow is doing either 1) isn't bad in his own mind (he thinks he's a hero!) or 2) he recognizes that it's not good to act that way but feel that there are compelling reasons to act that way, anyway. I think that you're trying to make a #2 from your description since you want him conflicted about his decisions.

Take your diaper thief. Is she
1) stealing because her husband drinks away all the money and she is heroically keeping her family feed and diapered with no one the wiser! But our protagonist is having to pay the cost of her stealing and so is at odds with her.
2) stealing because her husband drinks away all the money, but feels guilty about it and would stop in a second if she could. She's keeping her family alive, but the guilt is eating her to pieces. (Same protagonist line.)
3) [the combo] stealing...and feeling heroic, but some man calls her on her stealing but pays for the items himself. Suddenly she sees herself as a thief. She continues stealing because that's the only way she knows how to live, but suddenly doubts the rightness of her actions.

And so on. The point is that you can't met your first goal and still make him out-and-out bad. A #1 type fellow can still fit this bill. Say that he's extremely loyal to his friends and loves his dog, so he knows he's a great fellow. Only problem is that he has no problem killing strangers who insult that dog and your protagonist just did! Anyway, you get the point.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel would kill a man who looked at any of his dogs with out permission. It ripped him up inside when he came yelling out his house after some kids were teasing one of his dogs. He chased them for 5 blocks with a crow bar.
He later admitted to me it was wrong but he felt good about it, because no one came and messed with his dogs again.
My point is anyone can do bad things and get good results and feel bad about it. It is human nature. Like lying about something to get out of trouble, and it works. You naturally feel good about it. But later you dont.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

[This message has been edited by OMAGAOFTHEALPHA (edited March 09, 2007).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many citizens of Hatrack run multiple personalities on the boards. A completely random guess indicates the answer is not zero.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
<SIGH!> Yeah.

Maybe the question should be "is a new guy always a new guy?"

Well, as long as each personality behaves itself (himself? herself?), I am not going to do anything, but I will keep watch.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 09, 2007).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
SOmetimes I wonder if this is fate just trying to keep you busy KDW, or if these events can be scientifically predicted and statistically separated and planned on.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
So...out of curiousity...how did the discussion go from bad guys to multiple personalities? Just out of random curiousity. I couldn't follow the trail as I read along...

To make note of the above mentioned story (that I'm currently REreading for the umpteenth time) about the good/evil (plus a little side note about "power") discussion that I was mentioning. Just to properly quote the novel, it was written by Terry Goodkind and it titled "Wizard's First Rule".

(pg 112) "'Sounds like a terribly evil magic,' ...
'No, not really. The magic of Orden is the poer of life. Like all power, it simply exists. It's the user who determines what use it will be put to....The power is neither evil nor good; it simply exists. It is up to the mind of the man to put it to use....'"

(pg 127) "'...There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion. Every murderer thinks the victom needed killing.'"

Well...at midnight, that was all I could pull out of the pages. Much thanks to Terry Goodkind and his novel for my little 2 cents that were really borrowed from someone else. My advice would be to read the whole series...they're actually rather good (in my humble opinion).

Good night all!

- starsin

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amciel
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for Amciel   Email Amciel         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Wizard’s First Rule!

Alye, what makes the villain the villain is antagonism. RmatthewWare explained it perfectly “When one person steals, us honest ones have to pay extra.” Even if the character isn’t necessarily bad their purpose in the story is to oppose your protagonist. The villain’s actions punish the hero. A good example is the Anakin/Darth Vader transformation—his switch to the dark side is much more evil than Dooku’s because Anakin killed most of the Jedi and betrayed Padme and Obi Wan.

Something that may help create an emotional response for your character is making your audience care for what he cares about. No one feels sorry for Lex Luthor, who plans to take over the world just because he can. However, many people do not see Spiderman’s Harry Osborne as a villain as he is only trying to revenge his father. (I probably could have come up with better examples for these)

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Starsin asked, "So...out of curiousity...how did the discussion go from bad guys to multiple personalities? Just out of random curiousity. I couldn't follow the trail as I read along..."

Well, where do I begin... It appears that Rommel has taken on a roomie. Someone from Florida named OMEGA. Now when I say roomie I dont mean they're sharing a house or even a room for that matter. No, Rommel and Omega share a brain... quite possibly with several other "roomies." Time will tell. Regardless, at least two occupants of said brain have decided to join Hatrack.

Of course, if this has one of those great fictional twists at the end and they all turn out to be Kathleen, someone’s going to have to email OSC and let him know that his helmsman has been wearing a led lined top hat too long.

But that probably won't happen. Most likely Kathleen is sitting in a nice SLC suburb knitting pink and yellow woolen booties for some unsuspecting baby. Rommel and Omega, on the other hand, are probably sitting somewhere in rural Kentucky knitting a hemp balaclava which could just end up featured on the post masters notice board one day.

Yes this is “to do with writing.” Just look at the literary quality of this post.

Tracy

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

To quote starsin who was quoting Terry Goodkind: "Every murderer thinks the victim needed killing." I work in prison ministry and have talked with a number of murderers. I would say that it's more "Every murderer thinks they needed to kill (at the time)." A number of murders happen in a flash of anger so strong that the murder felt like he had to kill/get rid of the offender...or someone. Afterwards, many admit that the dead person probably didn't deserve to _die_ for what they did. The statement also covers random gang-murders. The pressure to belong to the gang makes them feel like they have to kill, even if the victim is someone they don't know and is no threat to them. The impetus does not so much come from the victim as from inside the murderer. In that moment, they kill either because they see it is an ideal choice on how to deal with the situation or because they see/know of no other choice.
Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

I didn’t ask Omega to join I just told him I was here. Yes we think quite alike that is why he is the 2nd highest person in my former military.
Him and I go back about 6 years. We wrote together many stories. Along with many other friends of ours. As time passed I ended up in a nut house for 3 weeks then moved away back to hell Virginia. I lost contact with all of my friends in FLA until I found an old crumbled up piece of paper with a number on it with no area code. Calling it using all the area codes I know people in only led to dead ends. I then got a hold of old phone books until I found a match. Good old General C*****. I was completely hammered when I called him.
My only hope is that none of my old friends will find me here for all of your sake. I told him earlier not to we shall leave it for Myspace.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS:
No we are not sitting in rural Kentucky knitting a hemp balaclava. I don’t even know who to knit, hopefully nether dose Omega. We don’t smoke Mary Jane, anymore.

OMAGAOFTHEALPHA
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for OMAGAOFTHEALPHA   Email OMAGAOFTHEALPHA         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Bye MARY JANE. It has been nice. time to move on.
What is a balaclava?
No i wont tell anyone, I was going to but not now, see you on my space.
OMAGAOFTHEALPHA

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the point of the 'bad guy' in a story is more interesting in terms of which category will readers put my characters. I have a major character in my trilogy that I'm working on who I want the reader to sympathise with, but who fits a lot of the specifications for a 'bad person'.
He kills people, manipulates people, lies and deceives and is the driving force behind a revolution that causes civil war and topples the government of his nation.
What I hope to do is show throughout the story that his reasons behind his actions justify them, and also show that the results of his actions result in a much better place for people in general. (Ie: the government he topples is oppressive and is deliberately keeping the average citizen in poverty so that the upper section of society can be richer. Also they are set upon waging war with all the surrounding nations)
I think that the main definition of an evil person is someone who does things his personal conscience tells him are wrong for whatever reason, whether it is greed, lust, revenge or ambition.
There are many ways of determining what is right or wrong: does god approve or disapprove, is it legal or illegal, does it go against the standards your parents raised you with, does it go against the standards of the section of society you are part of? to name a few more obvious ones. But I don't think any of those ways are universal. One country's laws are different to another, one religion prohibits eating pork while another doesn't etc.
It is only if someone goes against whatever standards they believe in that they can definitely be considered 'bad' in my opinion.
I am really interested in hearing other peoples opinions on what I've said.

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

You need to make your definitions of good and bad, whatever you choose them to be, as clear as possible in your story. You also need to be consistent as the story progresses.

If you don't, you will confuse your readers, at best, and even worse, run the risk of irritating the heck out of them so that they will throw your story across the room and/or resolve to never read anything by you again.

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

Max said:

quote:
I think that the main definition of an evil person is someone who does things his personal conscience tells him are wrong for whatever reason, whether it is greed, lust, revenge or ambition.

*sob* Oh, no--I'm evil! I was once nasty to my brother when my conscience told me I was wrong to do it. *wail*

On another note, my definition of evil (if we're going purely on human standards) is that "evil" is actions done for selfish reasons and "good" is actions done to help or protect others. By your definition, Max, a mother who killed to protect her family but who feels guilty for killing is evil, yet a man who kills for a handful of drugs but doesn't care is good. It may sound contrary to something I said earlier, but some criminals just don't have a conscience.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

What if your conscience tells you that you are doing right? Both of them.
Dose that make you evil?
Both of my consciences tell me I am on the right path. But I get in trouble all the time spicily when my “consciences” tell me it is right.
Like my favorite shirt says, “Even if the voices aren’t real, they have some good ideas.”
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

PS:
A balaclava is a type of hood.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to assume that people have the best intentions. Whether or not it's true it helps me keep a positive outlook, and helps me deal with people better. I also belive the proverb that every man is the hero of his own story. (There is a good Andromeda episode about that, it gave a wonderful perspective on the betrayal that started the series.)
Although, I have met some people who seem to be asking the world to destroy them. They seem to be doing things just to hurt others. They pretend not to care.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.