Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I'm Bored!

Author Topic: I'm Bored!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at the tail end of a very hard year and a half. I'm coming into myself again and I need something to do.

I WANT TO CRITIQUE MORE STORIES!!!

The trouble is, there aren't enough finished stories being posted on F&F to keep my hunger to critique satisfied.

Finish something!
Post it!
At this point I'll read ALMOST anything!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Should there be a special topic where stories can be listed for critique? Just the name of the story, the length, and any special interests the author wants addressed?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what people are supposed to do in the two Fragments and Feedback areas.

I fear too many of them are using those areas to "test the waters" with story beginnings without going on to finish the stories.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
djvdakota,
You offered to critique my short "The Evergrove". I should have it ready for you in a day or two. I think I figured out my ending and would love to get your input. I have three people critiquing the unfinished version but havent gotten any feedback yet. When finished I expect it to be about 2200 words. Not a long read but hopefully it will slake your hunger for a bit.

Scott

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited March 14, 2007).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota,

You have my e-mail. Anytime you want to swap critiques, just let me know. I've got plenty of stories that could use another read. I posted a different short story, The Cauldron War, in F&F that needs some polish if you care to read it.

Have you tried Zoetrope? You never run out of stories to critique there.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for short stories only?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharonID
Member # 5059

- posted      Profile for SharonID   Email SharonID         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a great place, but you might also want to check out the Forward Motion Writers website (founded by novelist Holly Lisle over ten years ago, now owned/moderated by Lazette Gifford with the help of a team of volunteer mods), another good resource. You have to register (free and painless) to even see the best forums (another way of protecting first publication rights, since actual writing you intend to publish is only posted in private members-only areas). FM's Roving Crits forum, in particular, might be just what you're looking for while you're waiting for more Hatrackers to finish things. People post whole stories up to 5K words or so, for public or private crit, and some of the writers there are very talented. HTH.

P.S. Oh, and just btw, one of the Forward Motion mods, Justin Staunchfield, has a story in the latest Intergalactic Medicine Show. He's a cattle rancher from Montana who is also a heck of a writer and very imaginative (he provides daily prompts on one of the FM forums, and his imagination seems utterly boundless). He's also sold a YA novel to Usborne (sp?) books recently. Tamara Siler Jones and SL Viehl have also done time on the FM boards and still pop their heads in from time to time, especially 'Tambo' (Tamara).

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always that writing challenge wrapping up end of the month. Who knows, maybe some people will finish it.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
I have something about 12 pages that I would highly appreciate being critiqued.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't you writing?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
If you knew how long her bootcamp story, that she wrote in only a day or two, was, you would not ask that question.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, I'm at the tail end of a very hard year and a half. I'm taking things a step at a time.

I'm writing, but not a lot. I'm finding that as I critique it's helping me get back in the game. My DESIRE to write is increasing. I'm actually writing more than I have in months.

But a step at a time.

I've checked out Zoetrope, have a membership, have critiqued and posted a few stories. But I hate wading through the LOADS of crap and vulgar trash to find a few treasures, and I hate the posturing of so many of the members. Too many think they're the new Hemingway, and if you don't praise their stories they get their revenge by giving you bad critique grades or by paying you back with a bad critique of your own writing.

I haven't checked out Forward Motion, mabye I will. But part of the reason I'm coming back to Hatrack is that I feel I can contribute here. I feel an obligation to the 'Old Lady'--and I don't mean Kathleen. I mean the Hatrack herself, who did so much for me when I was just testing the writerly waters. There were a whole lot of great people around back then who were extraordinarily patient with me, and who gave a whole lot of time they probably didn't have to teach me a few things. I think I can give some of that back.

But my main point is to get some of you BUMS writing and FINISHING stories!

Get WRITING!!!

Phanto, did I critique that one for you?

Trailmix, I'm waiting patiently for "Evergrove"

InarticulateBabbler, part of writing is LEARNING to write, and critiquing is one of the most effective ways to do that.

Spaceman, Thanks. I just wish I could sell the damned thing.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I find when I am bord i have a full conversation with my self. i come to many good ideas for writing but dont have the time to write.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.