Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How Late Is Too Late?

Author Topic: How Late Is Too Late?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of writing one of those "hole in the fabric of space / time" stories, cliched as it is. But I don't know if I want to write it from first rip to the end in all cliched detail, because it's the end that interests me. (A meditation on the right to keep unhappy memories, no matter how painful they are---or, to put it another way, a bunch of guys in a room, and if they leave the room, they lose their memories of what went on. More to it than that, either way.)

Do you guys think it would be okay to start the story just after the "hole" in question has been successfully repaired? How much science-fictiony doubletalk would be needed to make it work? How late in the story---any story, really---is "too late to start?"

(Or maybe I should see if I could come up with something less cliched as background? What can I say? It came to me in a dream a couple of days ago...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One possibility might be to have one character refer to what has been done as "repairing the hole" and have another character correct his/her terminology.

That way, readers will know what you need them to know, and you not only accomplish some characterization, but you get on with the story you want to tell.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused...is repairing the hole a significant part of the story or is it background? The real question is: What is the story you are trying to tell? If you are trying to tell the story of a hole in the fabric of space time and its repair, then, however, cliched, you need to start with it. If that is merely the backdrop for what is going on then you can start when the story starts and work it in as you would any other story background.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to think nearly everything is a cliche. It's what an individual brings to each idea that makes a story unique and non-cliche. Although, there are some things I would never write about. Like two astronauts getting stuck on a planet and they're the only two humans. One is female and the other is male and omigosh!. They must be like Adam and Even and populate the "Earth". But, in the hands of a supreme expert - certainly not me - I'm sure even that wouldn't sound corny at all.

As for where to start your story, I think if you want to address the aftermath of an event, then start there. How are people reacting to it? How are they moving along with their lives? Is the danger of the event over, or will they have to cope with more of the aftermath? How has it changed society/culture/how people interact with one another?

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that if you try to just "explain" what the hole was and how it was repaired, you will be violating a "rule" I remember about telling instead of showing. And you certainly don't want to get in a position where your characters go into a lot of detailed explanation that makes no sense for characters (who already know what's going on) (other than to fill in the audience (I believe that's another violation.)

I would also think that the repair of the hole - even if it only encompassed the opening paragraph of your story - should be "action-packed" and a great hook for the story you are really trying to tell. Use it.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayhews
Member # 4532

- posted      Profile for mayhews           Edit/Delete Post 
This question reminds me of Vonnegut's list of 8 rules.

#5: start as close to the end as possible

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the story about? Start when that's happening.

You can also use the MICE paradigm (see OSC's Characters & Viewpoint).

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of opening it in Mission Control, just as the "hole" is "repaired"...they let out a big cheer, and then realize a bunch of their fellow Mission Controllers are missing, lost somewhere in the repairwork...

I'll probably write it up, then stick it in my files and let it ferment for awhile...I was figuring on no more than five thousand words, probably around three thousand, so it'd be no big effort...just to scrape it off my mind and then move on...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Late addendum...I did write it. It came out at just over five thousand words, and took a few twists and turns I hadn't expected when I started. It needs a lot more work, but I don't know if it's worth it. Meanwhile, I'll stick it in my files and look at it in a few months.

Thought I had a good opening, though...I may polish that some in the next few days, and stick it in the appropriate "Fragments and Feedback" forum.

(It's a good feeling to "have written" rather than "will write," though. Awesome.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.