Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » the name game

Author Topic: the name game
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's discuss the importance of names, their sounds, their connotations, and (if applicable) their denotations.

Some names are simple, they don't mean anything to me. Fred, George, Bob... nothing. Some names, though, have a powerful affect on my vision of a character. For example: Hermione just wouldn't be the same bibliaphile super-nerd we all know and love if her name was Amy. Or something too fantastic like Erthelda or for that matter Wyusnmicckers.

Sometimes we encounter a stupid name... no... let me rephrase that. A bloody awful name, (usually in high fantasy), that we stumble across and just can *not* take it seriously.

My best example is Galbatorix. That has to be the worst villain name I've ever seen. Make that the worst name period! I mean I'd sooner accept Evil McDragonface as a menacing villain...

a'ight let's hear what y'all have to say

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pull them out of the air...then looked for something more rational, like spelling a name in one langauage as it would be pronounced in another...but of late I get hung up on associations (this name I use for my character is also the name of characters in a cartoon, two sitcoms, and is also the name of the Evil Corporation in Such and Such).

Some of my relatives, who've actually read the full compliment of "Harry Potter" books, would talk to me about the character Hermione---but, from the point of view of someone like me who remembered Hermione Gingold and Hermione Badderly, mispronounced the name. Another fate to avoid while picking a name.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graeme canty
Member # 5235

- posted      Profile for graeme canty   Email graeme canty         Edit/Delete Post 
Names are always a problem, as far as naming normal humans, I go for common names like Michael, Sarah, Paul, Amy, Anna etc etc...Simply dont feel that the name is the most important aspect of a character.

I find alien names more trickier, they need to sound pronouncable and if two aliens are from different planets then the names must sound different to each other.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

more trickier eh?

names are like first impressions, they may not meaning anything, but they'll always stick

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graeme canty
Member # 5235

- posted      Profile for graeme canty   Email graeme canty         Edit/Delete Post 
'more trickier'....LOL!.

My grammer is better when I come to writing novels dont worry LOL.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

- posted      Profile for mfreivald   Email mfreivald         Edit/Delete Post 
Galbatorix reminds me of the name "Vercingatorix," who was a real historic figure. For that reason, Galbatorix seems fine to me. It has a Gallic/Roman ring to it.

I disagree about "Bob," or "Fred," or similar names not meaning anything. Bob has a regular guy tone, which would be valuable for regular guy type chacacters. Fred is sort of regular, but not as regular as "Bob" or "Mark." It vaguely hints of a slightly marginal character. Stories that sweep up a regular guy into extraordinary situations would do well with Bob, Mark, or Fred.

On the other hand, a name like "Dick" automatically makes me consider how much flack the guy has gotten over the years - in spite of the regular name. Did he handle it well and develop a sense of humor? Did he handle it badly and develop a crippling self-consciousness?

Most of the reading I've done on writing technique emphasizes the importance of names. I think Elizabeth George's book _Write_Away_ is particularly balanced about the relative importance of them.

Fantasy, to risk stating the obvious, is one of the more problematic genre. Depending upon the universe of a particular book, it might be important to find names that are strange and distant from our own. On the other hand, we might want names different from those in our universe, but they should read as if they were perfectly normal. When I construct made up names, I often feel foolish about them. I'm struggling with one name in particular in my current project. It doesn't help that we have the work of the master of names, Tolkien, to which we <gulp> compare our attempts.

Probably the most difficult name I've had to come up with was for the all-powerful God figure of my universe. And that was just for one language of one people.

One thing I did not too long ago was to say all the names of my main character out loud to my adolescent nephew and elicited his response. I did the same with his parents. The parents really liked the name. My nephew thought it sounded "made up." <sigh> Nothing like consistent results. Be that as it may - I am happy for the input.

There are many ways I derive names, but most important with fantasy is how they sound. Does "Meck" come off as our "Mack," or does it remind me of a snail? Does "Ribbel" sound too much like "tribble?" Does "Galbatorix" sound made up? (When I first read the name "Vercingatorix," I thought it was made up.) Or did a very young author painstakingly develop the name from Gallic and Roman roots in order to find a name that sounded genuine and authentic in certain contexts? Does "Hod" sound like a regular guy name? Is "Ulf" (a real German name - I met an Ulf) just too funny a name to avoid distraction? Does "Almut" (another good German name) make you think of a strong woman? A homely woman? A tiny woman?

I don't think you can ask enough questions about the kinds of responses you might get from your names. But as far as I know, there are no rules. It is as much an art as putting the right words in their mouths.

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend toward 'contemporary fantasy' (or at least that's my attempt), thus I frequent baby names sites. Sometimes what becomes important is the meaning of the name. Sometimes not.

My latest, I borrowed some themes loosely from the Abraham story. I took the meaning of Isaac [laughter] and found a female equivalent, 'Risa'. Because it is believed that Melchizedek was Shem, and Shem means 'name', I went with Jerome which means 'sacred name'. Arioch means 'fierce lion', so he got named Leo. The rest of the characters I renamed from the first letter, Sarah become Sharon (but was more a Hagar-like figure), Lot became Lazlo. Chedorlaomer became Ched, the king of Sodom nicknamed Soddy.

Of course, I doubt anybody would notice, but at the very least, it was fun.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited March 28, 2007).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
"Lot became Lazlo" - I had a Lazlo in my first novel for a while. He was a slimy minion of the big bad guy, but got edited out, poor guy.

I choose names a variety of ways. My novel is a contemporary fantasy, so a lot of folks have "normal" names. I try to keep them within the UK/Celtic/Gaelic realm, since most of the story takes place in the UK. I pick strong names with good meanings for my heroes, "nature" type names for some of my fairies (Laurel, Holly, Lily), and made up names for elves in a rather bizarre way - we were traveling when I was writing the elf section, and I chose lettering off of trucks and signs and put them together, or chose part of the name of whoever was singing on the radio and added truck business name letters, for instance. So I wound up with "Enyanel" when Enya was on the radio. It was fun! The weird thing is, some of the names I made up turn out to be actual words in some foreign languages. "Revelan" is one of my elves' names, and it's an actual word somewhere (can't think where at the moment).

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

The nearest etymology that I can figure is something like this:

Galbatorix: Gay + Albatross + Rex

Which adds together to be nonesensical gibberish. A far cry from the weight and power of a name like Darth Vader.

I maintain that Galbatorix makes me giggle instead of shudder when I read it.

pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I use two types of names:

Less common English names that sound archaeic.
or
Fantasy names that are almost but not quite european.

All of my names are easy to pronounce and easy to create a mental image of.

Complex foreign sounding names, in the minds eye, become 'that name that starts with a G'. It's always better to use a name that is easily pronouncable using standard english pronunciation/spelling rules even if the name is not English.

This is assuming that we are all writing in English.

Contrived names should never have more than 3 syllables.

Realize that when you contrive a name, it will not always be pronounced correctly by the reader. I remember trying to figure out if it was La-stot or Les-tat and whether it was Loo-iss or Loo-E. And those names are not even inventions.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discipuli
Member # 3395

- posted      Profile for discipuli   Email discipuli         Edit/Delete Post 
A strong name in a fantasy setting befits a strong character... I'd never feel threatened by say, a villain named Curtis , or Ashleigh or some other docile sounding semi feminine name.
Its hard i think to make up convincing names for a fantasy world but its part of making good characters. Think about it , Harkonnen, Tash , Voldermort , Orochimaru (yes i'm not well read so manga now counts ) the names do alot to identify with the character.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Galbatorix: Gay + Albatross + Rex

So you're saying he's a happy, web-footed sea bird, king. Well he's a king that flies on a dragon, does that count? By the way, the only thing that sucked more than Eragon the book was Eragon the movie.

Naming characters is the hardest thing for me when it comes to writing. I try to use www.behindthename.com because it sorts names by origin and gives you the meaning of each. So I can search meanings, or countries. I try to keep everyone from one place in my fantasy in one name group. For example, I created a village and I knew my heroine's name would be a certain name. It was french, so I made every one from the village have a french name. When I take her to other towns, they may have different names.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mfreivald
Member # 3413

"A far cry from the weight and power of a name like Darth Vader."

Well, that it sounds odd is no surprise. But I don't find "Galbatorix" any more cartoonish than "Darth Vader."

Comparing the names Vercingetorix and Galbatorix, I found the following:

[Vercingetorix] Means "king over warriors" from Gaulish ver "on, over" combined with cingeto "marching men, warriors" and rix "king". This name was borne by a chieftain of the Gaulish tribe the Arverni. He led the resistance against Julius Caesar's attempts to conquer Gaul, but he was eventually defeated, brought to Rome, and executed.
From URL: http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=vercingetorix

"It is uncertain why the first of the Sulpicii who bore the surname Galba assumed the name, and whence it was derived. Some think that it was because after having for a long time unsuccessfully besieged a town in Spain, he at last set fire to it by torches smeared with galbanum;7 others because during a long illness he made constant use of galbeum, that is to say of remedies wrapped in wool; still others, because he was a very fat man, such as the Gauls term galba, or because he was, on the contrary, as slender as the insects called galbae, which breed in oak trees."
From URL: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Suetonius/12Caesars/Galba*.html

I'm not actually sticking up for the name. It is interesting that you don't like it, and I think that is a valid observation for those of us choosing names. It is a mouthful and it *seems* made up. But, like Vercingetorix, it may have very firm roots in real history.

Posts: 394 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that what a name seems to connote makes the most difference. Like dress and grooming in real life, names have to make a correct first impression. It's often the first thing a reader sees.

discipuli: How about a villain named Ricky? That'd strike fear into my right ventricle. Mean Ricky. *shudder*

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited March 29, 2007).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Again you guys with the arch-villans, murder, and mayhem! LOL.

I am writing near-term sci-fi. I'm using today's baby names as the names in my settings (e.g., Emma, Amelia, Connor, Blake, and the like.) However, my near-term sci-fi vision includes a global cooperative effort toward space travel, so I have a lot of non-western names, as well as european names that aren't common in the US/UK. Examples: Kofi, Jens, Kenji, Annemette, Mayean, Yulee.

I have the advantage of having attended an international school in SE Asia for high school, so I have my yearbooks for source material. Knew they'd come in useful some day! I've also asked some of my more well-traveled friends and siblings to toss me name ideas. I have a spreadsheet started, first names, last names. I want to be sure to not accidentally reproduce the firstname/lastname combinations of school buddies. Plus, I'd like to do interesting things like demonstrating cultural intermingly through name choices, giving someone a Chilean last name and a Japanese first name, for example.

As for villans, yeah, they need to sound scary. Made-up names are tough. I guess my inclination is to aim for shorter rather than longer. I quickly gave up trying to mentally pronounce the G-dude and just thought of him vaguely as "the bad guy." But then again, murder and mayhem, villany, etc. aren't exactly thematic for me. I'm busy painting the girl in Molecular Physics class as the antagonist.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
Well, that it sounds odd is no surprise. But I don't find "Galbatorix" any more cartoonish than "Darth Vader."

Comparing the names Vercingetorix and Galbatorix, I found the following:

I suppose you may think Darth Vader sounds cartoony, I can give you that. But is that necessarily bad? Remember Darth Vader actually sounds cool, Galbatorix sounds like a bumbling idiot. It also causes most readers to stumble the first time they read it.

And whether or not Galbatorix is a legitimate name, like "Vercingatorix" is neither here nor there. Both Galbatorix AND Vercingatorix are bloody terrible.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In my most recent short story, I used Drystan Malak. Drystan is a name that means chaotic, tumultous, or riotous and is the origin of Tristan. Malak is from a different mythology and means angel. The perfect antagonist with which to make a faustian deal.

My protagonist's Name is Tom Archer. With Tom, I though average Tom, Dick, and Harry. Archer had two connotations: The original meaning of archer was coward, someone that struck from a distance so they wouldn't have to face a warrior man-to-man; and the newer use of archer makes me think of Robin Hood. He's a little bit of both.

That's not always the way I think of names.

quote:

I'm afraid that what a name seems to connote makes the most difference.

I agree.

Darth Vader is a name created for the sound of it. Darth is close to dark--which you want an archetypical villain represent--and Vader refers to invader which adds to his persona. Many screenwriters use that technique.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 29, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought much of the names in "Star Wars"---they seemed a mishmash, all over the place. ("Luke Skywalker" sounded American Indian, "Obi-Wan Kenobi sounded half-Arabic and half-Japanese, "Princess Leia" sounded Hawaiian, "Han Solo" sounded Chinese, and "Darth Vader" sounded like bad 1940s sci-fi adventure.) I suppose in thirty years I've gotten used to them, though.

(Besides, "Obi-Wan" sounded like a made-up title of nobility---a lot of fantasy names and stories (and some science fiction, too) have made up nobility affectations. I've always found it jarring and disconcerting.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
InarticulateBabbler,

I thought the exact same thing. So yesterday I looked it up. Darth is indeed derived from Dark, but Vader is derived from the Germanic word for Father. Therefore meaning, Dark Father.

Not that I'm a Star Wars nut, but Darth Vader was the coolest character in the whole trilogy. Too bad the rest of the characters didn't measure up.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about your cities -- if you're in the states -- but our local phone book has a wealth of foreign names. Asian, European, African. I love to explore there.

However, my main character, if it's a human male, is always named "John."
John Samuel Abernathy
John Bishop
John (whatever, for a surname)

For real alien names I go through a foreign dictionary. I have bunches because my father was a linguist. I'll pick out words, maybe words that describe something about the character. Then I'll fiddle with the arrangement of the letters. If I have more than one race, each race gets assigned a different language to dig through for name material. My favorite at the moment is Sanskrit. Lots of neat words in there. I rarely use Latin or Spanish. But Bengali is fine. (My dad wrote the dictionary for Bengali, one that was used for years.)

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Lucus used names to tell you about the character. Actually, everything you needed to know was in the names for many of the characters.

Darth Vader = Dark Father

Han Solo = Han could be based on any number of names that mean "Happy" and SOLO

Luke Skywalker = Do I really need to say that someone named "Skywalker" is going to do great things?

Obi means "Heart" although I suspect that name was picked for the sound more than anything.

Leia means "ruler" or "mistress" - goes nice with the whole princess thing

[This message has been edited by kings_falcon (edited March 29, 2007).]

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The actual meanings of names are totally irrelevant for me. It's my reaction to it that matters (essentially the point trousercuit made).

I think it was Elmore Leonard who said, "Once I've got the name, I've got the character."

I'm a bit that way myself. If I pick the wrong name for a major character--one that just doesn't feel right to me, for how I want the character to be--I get pulled in different directions and can't write the character consistently.

As a reader, on the other hand, I've found that it hardly matters at all. I start reading a book with a character whose name I don't like, and I think, "yuk!. Why'd the author have to name him/her that?" But before long the name stops bothering me, and shortly, if I like the character, I start to like the name as well.

The thing is, the reason I don't like some names is that they have unpleasant associations for me. Other people will have different associations. So indulging in name-omancy is, to some extent, pointless. But not entirely--names based on words rather than various people we've known will have a much broader consensus as to how other people will react to them, and names related to famous people (let's restrict this to famous historical figures--famous pop stars only carry the weight of famous pop star, and only for one generation--if that) also will have similar associations for lots of people.

But in the end, most readers will adjust to any name you choose, as long as its pronounceable and not laughable. However, choosing the right name can still be extremely important for us, as authors.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Nowall, I read an interview with George Lucas, somewhere, and he said that his original name for Luke Skywalker was Luke Cloudhopper, but Skywalker sounded better.

ChrisOwens, I concede that I didn't find the definition of Vader and went with my first thoughts. However, the point was not to demonstrate my knowledge--or lack thereof--of name definitions, it was to illustrate how a lot of screenwriters choose them.

At http://www.wordplayer.com Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio (professional screenwriters and producers) explain how they choose names by sound and meaning. There are a plethora columns there worth perusing.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 29, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
My name means "meadow", not happy about that, not at all.

Anyways on with the topic:

quote:
A far cry from the weight and power of a name like Darth Vader.

When I first heard of Darth Vader I almost wet myself with laughter when I heard it. I found it funny because I thought it was all about nonsense, and when I think about it now, Lucas used a lot of similiar names, obviously for the attraction of it at first, but for the easiness it brought to pronouncing them.

As for Galbatorix, I have no problem with it, as C. Paolini probably did what I do with my names, writes random letters in hopes of getting a pronounciable name. Some of the ones I've made up are:

Alluran
Urtak
Frynity
Vatra
Whillop

Now, I have no idea if they've been used before so if anyone does, I'll have to change them (I don't really want to!)

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Chris, come on, Han Solo was the man, he definnitely outranks Darth Vader on a scale of likability.

Leigh, as a reader I feel like I can spot a gibberishly-contrived name form a mile away. A lot of writers want to make up new mames, but don't do much to determine patterns in them, or even similarities in phonetics. They just type randomly and jump at anything they think looks cool. Being bi-lingual and living in a foreign culture full of foreign names, even there this some kind of losoe pattern the names are based on. Gibberish names, as I will call them, don't fly far with me when I read. It just makes me think the writer is ignorant or lazy.

mfreivald
Member # 3413

"I suppose you may think Darth Vader sounds cartoony, I can give you that. But is that necessarily bad? Remember Darth Vader actually sounds cool, Galbatorix sounds like a bumbling idiot. It also causes most readers to stumble the first time they read it."

Zero, I don't know if it is bad, or not. I'm simply comparing it to Galbatorix. It is interesting to me that you have such a strong reaction against that name, and I'm still not sure why that is, or why Darth Vader escapes the same ridicule.

"Gibberish names, as I will call them, don't fly far with me when I read. It just makes me think the writer is ignorant or lazy."

How do you distinguish between a "gibberish" name and a non "gibberish" name? If we hypothesize that Paolini derived it from the Roman "Galba" and "rix" for king, it doesn't seem to come from gibberish after all. Maybe less so than Darth Vader, since it actually derives from a real name. So what is it that makes it a poor choice of name?

And what about Tolkien? How many of his names were completely made up? And – in terms of names – you can't call Tolkien lazy.

In case you misunderstand me, I am not challenging you and trying to say you have no reason to dislike the name Galbatorix. It doesn't actually sit very well with me, either. (Though my negative reaction isn't nearly as strong as yours.) I think there may be a legitimate reason to avoid using a name like that, but it is probably difficult to articulate why that is. So I'm trying to get to the real reason, and being "gibberish" simply doesn't seem to distinguish it from many other names that work.

I was just thinking of the comic rule that the "k" sound is funny. No one knows why, but it just is. What if there is a rule just as valid and mysterious that, say, the "or" sound makes a name sound like gibberish. Quite frankly, Galbrix and Vercingrix don't seem nearly as bad. Or maybe the letter "t" is bad in the middle of a name. Galborix? Vercingorix?

Anyway, discovering some simple guidelines to avoid putting you (and any number of people like you) off of my stories would be a good thing.

"I never thought much of the names in "Star Wars"…"

Funny, Robert. I really dislike StarWars after the first movie. But the one thing I did like was a lot of the names. Now that you mention it, though, they don't seem to show much in the way of continuity among the culture(s).

Zero
Member # 3619

hmm.. I guess the only real qualifier for a "gibberish" name, is one that is the product of random keyboard mashing. If you spend your time staring at letters trying to invent up a new concotion that hasn't been seen before... like... krunextor then it is a gibberish name.

Galbatorix may not be a gibberish name, I don't know. But the next step away from Gibberish names, which is almost as bad, are names that appear to be gibberish. Galbatorix looks like gibberish, hence my immediate reaction is laugh when I see it.

Darth Vader escapes because it means Dark Father, it reads smoothly, I don't stumble over it, and probably partly because I accepted it a long time ago as a child.

quote:
And what about Tolkien? How many of his names were completely made up? And – in terms of names – you can't call Tolkien lazy.

Ah you make my point for me. Tolkein does all right for himself, because he was a linguist. His study of languages and experience are what enabled him to produce such rich and culturally valid-sounding names. Paolini is not a linguist. He does as best as he can, I suppose, but let's face it. At the end of the day he's grasping for straws compared to Tolkein. I doubt you'd be bold [and stupid] enough to say Paolini's naming skills are on par with Tolkein.

Though I am not going to criticize all of Paolini's names, some of them are clever. For instance I don't like the name Eragon... at all, but I can see how it relates to Dragon and even sounds similar to other heroic sounding names, like Aragorn. Another example is Arya, "arya" sounds hindu or something and I have heard it used before to connote something "good." In addition it sounds like "aria" which is part of an opera, an emotional and usually singularly female part. You see it has great ties in addition to a good sound to it.

Galbatorix, whether it has ties to other things or not, simply sounds laughable.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

On Darth Vader and the others...was this all intended from the beginning or only justified in retrospect? There's nothing in "Star Wars" (Episode Four, or the first one that came out) that would suggest the relationship between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. Could the names have been built up afterwards as well?

I agree about the phone book being a good source of names. I'll throw in another. "Passport to World Band Radio." I get it for that, of course, but if you sift through the entries there are loads of utterly unfamiliar names just waiting for characters to acquire them.

"Arya" suggests "Aryan" for me..."Arya" means "nobles" in Sanskrit, and the tribe that eventually bore that name set themselves up as the bosses...I'm familiar with the origins of the word and its later, much darker, connotations.

Zero
Member # 3619

hmm interesting thought. It's a shame the character Arya doesn't resemble a classical aryan physically.
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
What I tend to struggle with most, regarding character names, is whether or not characters need a surname or not.

Since we've discussed Star Wars alot, think of that. Why is it alwasy a hard and fast rule that aliens need not have last names but humans do? Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, ... Chewbacca... Yoda. Why not, say, John Chewbacca, or Yoda Miller, to give some examples, albeit silly ones.

But even then, what about Emperor Palpatine. Presumably, he has a first name, but we never know it do we? It's senator Palpatine, Chancellor Palpatine, Emperor Palpatine. So at what point do you *bother* to create a full name for a character?

For that matter, what is Luke's middle name? Does he have one? At what point do characters need middle names? Especially because, as I write my novels, I always come up with a single name to begin with (whether that be the first name of our MCs, or the surname of the evil Emperor, or what have you) it always seems unnatural to try to tack on a last name to a character you've been referring to as, say, Richard for how many days/weeks/months/years.

As for me, I tend to like to play with anagrams. But the last names still sound silly to me. I have to sit there and tell myself "this IS his last name" for several months before the name seems "right" to me, but after time, even the silliest of names seem to "fit" with a character. (The most vivid case of this, for me, was playing the video game Final Fantasy 7 for playstation when it first came out. The main character's name is actually Cloud? How silly is that? Does he have a companions Sky, Moon, and Airplane? And yet, I don't even give it a second thought anymore)

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice, keep it simple, stupid.

If it's past fantasy, they probably just need a first name. Sometimes they will get a title, like Robert the Bruce.

If it's urban fantasy or scifi or anything in our present or future, they can have a last name. As to middle names, unless they need one, they don't get one.

Just because someone has a last name, doesn't mean we need to know it. Your characters can be named Tom, Dick, and Harry, and we probably don't need to know they're Tom Jones, Dick Murphy, and Harry Potter.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've found useful: the random word generator. I can take bunches of words from any language and mixture of languages and it will preserve the semblance of a syntax that's familiar while the words remain foreign - as long as I pull related names from the same batch!

http://www.nexi.com/fun/rw/index.html

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Matt, remember that assassins--that are caught--almost always have three names: John Hinckley Jr., John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, and Charles Julius Guiteau.

Of course there were Jack Ruby and Sirhan Sirhan.

pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the original Star Wars script.

Darth Vader and Luke Starkiller were not even related.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well I agree that Lucas probably hadn't thought up the connection between them [though you can't rule it out either], however, that doesn't mean Lucas didn't see Darth vader as a dark father figure/character. Someone with authority who abuses it, evil. I think so, anyway.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
This has probably been said but a name is very important to the character, if I don't like the name, I tend not to like the character and change it around until I find the one I like. It has to someway reflect the character but not be contrived so that the name represents a characters attribute. I just hate it when writers do that. After all, we're born with our name and grow into it - shouldn't that be the same for fictional characters?

I find that most names pop into place the moment the character is imagined but sometimes find the right name can be difficult. I don't like alien names - I tend not to do alien anyway so need them - but if I'm reading a book and the name is too difficult to pronounce or is just too long, I give it a shortened or alternate name and use that each time I read that particular name.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I agree with darklight,

You ought to be willing to change the first name you think up for a more suitable one.

A word of caution though, I have a fairly crappy name for a character I thought up almost a year ago. I tried to change his name but nothing else seems right any more. The longer you let a name stick, the more permanent it becomes.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you just can't bring yourself to change a name on a character, you can try thinking of doing something similar to what Lajos Egri recommends in THE ART OF DRAMATIC WRITING: if the character isn't right for the story, fire the character and get one that is right.

Using what darklight said, if you don't like the name and therefore don't like the character, replace that character with one that you do like who has a name that you like.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubshack
Member # 5262

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to pipe in and say that "Evil McDragonface" just made my day. *lol*
Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

If you really don't like--or hate--a character, have them killed. You can do it. And you can get away with it. You can have a scapegoat at your fingertips, anytime you want.

<evil, maniacal laughter>

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.