Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Titles---the good, the bad, and the ugly (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Titles---the good, the bad, and the ugly
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I still find it interesting.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, in a newer thread a planet so cold and dark as to eliminate heat and light is being discussed. It gave me another idea:

Absolute Zero

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not look at this as someone so lacking in creativity that they can't think of their own title. That's not what this is at all. So, just to avoid that concept, lets change the direction of the thread to where it should be.

No more listing potential titles.

Let's talk only about existing titles and what makes them great.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just realized that my last suggestion was in Fragments and Feedback as someone else's title. <shrug>
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

IB I like it, it's also darklight's story and I noticed the title too, I think it's going to be the tentative title, yes!!

And a special thanks to IB for humoring me with title ideas and giving me feedback, which I found very helpful.

Though I'm not sure why everyone else seems so opposed to a discussion on specific titles and comparing them. (Sometimes it is, believe it or not, helpful to get and consider outside points of view.) [I know, strange concept to digest.]

In any case I wasn't aware that discussing titles was somehow not related to writing, I thought a forum about writing would allow discussion on all aspects of writing, but I suppose I was somehow mistaken...

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited April 17, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
On this theme; I've read novels with titles that (as far as I can see) have little connection with the novel. Or I've read half of it or more and then said, 'that's why it's called that!' And there are some that seem to have no connection with the book at all.

Of course there are those that are immediately obvious (I've just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons, no guess to why it was called that).

For me, they either come to me right away or it's very hard to find one that I like. For example, I wrote a kids novel for a competition here in the UK - did even make the cut but that wasn't suprising considering I rushed it and didn't edit porperly - point is, I couldn't think of a good title for it and came up with something stupid and pathetic - honestly - I hated it but it was too late, I'd sent it off. Then, weeks later on the train - not sure if that helped or not - I suddenly said, Ghosts in the Machine - Ok, not an altogether orignal title but summed the novel up exactly.

Point? Maybe you need to stop thinking about it - and it'll come to you when you're least expecting it.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
...a special thanks to IB for humoring me with title ideas and giving me feedback...

No problem. I was having fun. Hell I might just come back here and type a few more doodle-titles.

Like:
Zeroed In
I Forgot
On the Tip of my Tongue
Put Title Here.................
The Rememberer
What Was I Going to Call This Book?
Oh, Yeah!
A Skip in the Rift
Who am I and What do I want?: Catching Fraudulant Psychics....

Zero
Member # 3619

what is better "Zeroing in" or "Zeroed in" past tense?
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
that is a question that cannot be answered without the whole of the story in context.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I found that if you write the book or short story first, the title is easier to find. It seems you're putting the wagon in front of the horse.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

OK in that case, considering the different titles, what directions (of kinds of stories) do they point you in?
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of titles, can somebody please remind me of the title to OSC's book that discusses POV. I can't find my scrap paper that had the title (my office is a pit), B&N is not coming up on my computer right now, and amazon bugs me. Thanks for the help.
Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
From Amazon.com:
Characters and Viewpoint, by Orson Scott Card.
(You should give Amazon another chance. It's nice enough to me
Matt

[This message has been edited by RMatthewWare (edited April 18, 2007).]

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the title and the Amazon plug.

[This message has been edited by Sunshine (edited April 18, 2007).]

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.