Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Books on research?

Author Topic: Books on research?
Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound like a silly question, but are there any (good) books that teach you how to go about doing research? I like to keep my details as straight as I can, but I can only google about half of what I want to know.

And here's an example of something I have no idea how to find out: I need to know what goes on in family/military communications when a soldier is wounded. Now how in the world do I find THAT out? I can't exactly quiz such a family! Things of that nature...well, I'm at a loss.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something to help with your military question:
http://www.marineparents.com/usmc/next-of-kin.asp

As for your question on research, yes, Google is great, but half the time I end up at the library. Sometimes you just have to play around with the words you input when you do a Google search. I also stumbled across NYU's journalism resource site. They have some helpful hints at how to research stuff on the internet:
http://journalism.nyu.edu/currentstudents/resources/digital/search.html

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Good NYU link - cool!

Reference librarians are a treasure trove.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is a great link! Thanks!

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the library. There are many, MANY resources available at the library that are not available via the Internet. Go to your local bookseller. Ditto the reason.

For military stories, contact your local Veteran's association. You will find many people glad to talk of their experience, and who can give you insights into the emotions of the events you can't get from reading dry, historical facts. (Maybe even volunteer and get to know them?)

Newspapers keep archives. Our local paper is archived in the local and state libraries via microfiche, clear back to the 1800's. You would be amazed what you can learn about society just reading a few months worth of old newspapers, especially if you read the ads, too. Check with museums that specialize in the type of military history/artifacts that interest you.

If the only research you are doing is from your computer, you are missing the boat.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited April 09, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited April 10, 2007).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.