Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Speaking of titles

Author Topic: Speaking of titles
joelman42
Member # 5226

- posted      Profile for joelman42   Email joelman42         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero's earlier post about titles got me thinking - is it a big deal if titles get re-used? Are there any hard and fast rules about that? Will publishers be inclined to reject if you inadvertently use someone else's title? How many original titles can there be, after all? I just found out that one of my favorite authors' first (obscure) novel was titled, "Star Quest." He can't have been the only one to use THAT title.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a number of novels with names that have been used before. I think that your main concern would be if that title was currently popular.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skribent
Member # 5143

- posted      Profile for Skribent   Email Skribent         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure some titles get reused, at least titles like 'Star Quest'. OSC has a book titled 'Empire', and there's talk about Paolini called the last book in his trilogy 'Empire'. It's a general term, and nobody has a copyright on it. Now, if you should name your book 'Harry Potter and the Quest Against Evil Robot Monkeys', you might get in a wee bit of trouble over that.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.