Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » To Agent or not to Agent

Author Topic: To Agent or not to Agent
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
So, after debate, I've decided when my novel manuscript is finished, I'm going to try to get an agent first. From research I've done (Miss Snark for one) it seems you have a much better shot at getting published with an agent. Agents can send your manuscript out to multiple publishers at once, and can often get you a better advance. In addition to that, they make sure the deal you sign is actually a good one.

So those are my two cents.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Provided that you actually have a good agent.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubshack
Member # 5262

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of this Miss Snark but what is it, a podcast or something? Mur Lafferty mentioned her in her "I should be writing" podcast.

I plan on following the advice of OSC and Michael Stackpole, and a number of others that you should submit to a publisher first, and then when the deal is offered call up an agent to handle the deal. (the idea being that if you've all ready sold your work, you're not likely to be turned down)

I dunno which way is proper, but from my vantage point, Mur is still getting rejection letters from agents, and everyone else that did otherwise is out publishing books.

I mean yeah, I realize the book I just poured my heart and soul into for the last three years is probably only going to net me a $3,000 advance, but I understand from the publishers point of view that they're taking a chance on an unknown, and I'm more than willing to put my neck out there and prove myself. Granted I've all ready got a career that I'm ok with, the beauty of this writing this is it's been a passion of mine all my life and I'll never stop doing it, no matter whether I get published or not or if I don't sell a lot of books. So I don't really feel like I've got a lot to lose in the process... The self esteem boost I got just out of finishing the first rough draft alone, the phone calls and emails I've gotten from family and friends offering congratulations, people I've known for years across the net who I've told about the story and have expressed interest and can't wait to hold a copy in their hands... It just can't be expressed in dollar signs to me. Man if you get to that point, as far as I'm concerned, you've all ready succeeded.

Still, thats not to say I'm not going to be ecstatic to see it in print.

[This message has been edited by Dubshack (edited April 17, 2007).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
dubshack most publishers will not consider unagented manuscripts. There are a few publishing houses that do and then a bunch of self-publishing and POD ones. The problem with the self-publishing route is getting the books to readers. Only some of those houses have deals with Amazon and bookstores.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I ever get my draft beat into shape, I'm planning on submitting to agents and publishers simultaneously (I'll respect the one-at-a-time game the publishers want, but while it's out to a publisher, it'll be out to agents). I've also heard there are agent referral services out there, and I plan on looking into that as well.

So far all that's just a daydream. Lots and lots of work to get done between then and now.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
An agent referral service is a profiteer, not a service.

There are a thousand con-artists out there who claim to do things that an aspiring writer should be able to get done for free.

Agents - They work for commission. If you are paying an agent and you haven't been published; Just wrap cellophane around your head and paint on it, in bright letters, the word 'sucker'

Publishers - They Pay writers. Never the other way around.

Agent Referral Service? We call this "The Writer's Market" and it can be found at the bookstore for about $25.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Provided that you actually have a good agent.

True.
quote:
I've heard of this Miss Snark but what is it, a podcast or something? Mur Lafferty mentioned her in her "I should be writing" podcast.

Miss Snark is a literary agent that give advice on her blog: http://misssnark.blogspot.com/

quote:
I plan on following the advice of OSC and Michael Stackpole, and a number of others that you should submit to a publisher first, and then when the deal is offered call up an agent to handle the deal. (the idea being that if you've all ready sold your work, you're not likely to be turned down)

My problem with this tactic is that if you send your manuscript to each publication in turn, it can take years to go through them all. If a publisher takes 6 months or longer to reply to a manuscript, that can waste a lot of time. You can query all the agents you want, though, and maybe get someone to represent you. Even if they all reject you, it shouldn't take long. And they can send your work to multiple publishers at one time. They even know who to talk to and (should) take the time to figure out what each publisher wants to hear.
quote:
dubshack most publishers will not consider unagented manuscripts. There are a few publishing houses that do and then a bunch of self-publishing and POD ones. The problem with the self-publishing route is getting the books to readers. Only some of those houses have deals with Amazon and bookstores.

Another reason I'd rather try to get an agent first. And Amazon takes a higher cut of sales dollars than publishing chains like Barnes and Nobles. It's how they can offer shipping deals and price cuts.
quote:
Agents - They work for commission. If you are paying an agent and you haven't been published; Just wrap cellophane around your head and paint on it, in bright letters, the word 'sucker'

Publishers - They Pay writers. Never the other way around.

The general principle is: Money flows to the writer. Anyone that ever asks for money is a con artist. Publishers pay for editors and illustrators and everything (the reason advances are low). Agents take 10-15% of what you get. That a percent. !5% of zero is still zero. They only take money when you get paid.

Matt

[This message has been edited by RMatthewWare (edited April 17, 2007).]

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Pantros - do you have first hand knowledge?

I would be interested in anectdotes from people who have signed book deals without agents, or found agents from cold queries. It would be interesting to hear from someone whose actually been there/done that.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubshack
Member # 5262

- posted      Profile for Dubshack   Email Dubshack         Edit/Delete Post 
Tor accepts unagented submissions. I came across that when I went on my "Hugo Award Winning Novels" shopping binge, and realized that the vast majority of novels that win Hugos, at least the ones that roughly resemble the type of work I do, are all published by Tor. I realize I'm setting myself up for failure, but the way I see it, it just makes sense to try them first. (In my case anyway)

If they reject it, oh well. I'll try another house or try sending it off to agents. If anything that would be better for me, considering I work full time, I'm about to start up a podcast and in the midst of all this have two more books in this series to write, another possible trilogy, and I still have a load of notes on other novels I could be writing. I guess I just look at it differently- extra time to meet a deadline before it's even set.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.