Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » More info about injuries

Author Topic: More info about injuries
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about gunshot wounds. I am trying to write a section of my story that deals with a non-lethal gunshot wound, but I don't know anything about that type of injury. Help?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, a usually fatal wound would be in a central area: gut, heart/lungs, head, and determined by caliber, a .22/ 38 special in the shoulder livable... a .44? nope, You'd bleed out in a few minutes. (Friends brother did this ) Legs away from the artery, survivable, shoulder, yes, lung not unless you had a good EMT available and soon. Gut, survivable depending where and caliber... if you hit your spleen with a 9mm maybe, again .44 um... What caliber and situation? I can help.

Although a .22 can bounce around and create alot of mess...

I use guns in RL and writing all the time, and my Poor MC's get shot ALL of the time; it is one way they are imperfect, not a Superman...

Destiny

I am deeply sorrowfull for anyones lives that are traumatized by violence of any kind... My heart goes out to those at VA tech, and Trolley Square.

Edited because I transpose the E and A on my key board all of the time Grrrrr!

[This message has been edited by I am destiny (edited April 20, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to check out a book called <i>Body Trauma: a writer's guide to wounds and injuries</i>. It's not a great book, but it does have some information on gunshot wounds. The book mostly covers treatment of wounds, rather than how to best describe them, which is what I was interested in.

There is also a book called <i>Armed and Dangerous: a writer's guide to weapons</i>. I haven't read it, though. I do know it covers ballistics, at least a little.

Here's a few things paraphrased from the book I have:

The important factors are: weight and diameter (caliber) of the projectile, muzzle velocity, design of the bullet jacket, point of impact (on the victim), pathway through the body (specific tissues encountered), and secondary bone fragment missiles.

Gunshot wounds are unpredictable.

If it's a closer range, shotguns are great for non-lethal wounds. Multiple pellets chew up flesh with less penetration than a single bullet. You get massive damage to skin and soft tissue near the surface (the amount depends on the type of shot used.)

I hope this helps a little.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I am destiny
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, a shot gun at close range can be fatal, it is a high powered charge and is very damaging at close range. The least damage is at a far range, because the trajectory and speed decreases the farther the bullet or shot is away from the barrel.

destiny

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Any bullet can be fatal if it hits a major blood vessel. The singer Selena had absolutely no injuries to vital organs, but bled to death in minutes from a wound to the back. This can happen with arm and leg wounds, too.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I said "closer" range, not close range--meaning, a shotgun doesn't have the same range as other projectiles, so it may not apply to the story in question. I certainly didn't mean a shotgun is never lethal.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
if you are neer a military base go and talk to the medics they are usuly happy to ansewr and questions you may have.usuly during their lunch. however find the ones with a deployment patch and combat medic patch. they usuly have worked on gun shot's or shratmal, etc. hell if the medic attached to my PLT would i get him to answer but convensing him will be hard.
Romel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are writing a medical/forensic mystery, we don't need to know too many details.

Stick to the reader expectations and use them to build drama, show resiliance.

A chest or head wound is more likely fatal than a leg wound. A gut wound is less instantly fatal.

But there are ways a bullet can enter the skull and do virtually nothing. A bullet can pass through a person's chest and hit nothing vital. It can miss the arteries in the shoulder by a hair's breadth. (the bigger the caliber, the less chance of it missing)

And there are shots to a leg that can kill in seconds.

It's all about organs, arteries and traumatic shock.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.