Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Intricate Word-Carving

Author Topic: Intricate Word-Carving
SharonID
Member # 5059

- posted      Profile for SharonID   Email SharonID         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent off my entry to Writer's Weekly's 24-hour thematic short story contest, an hour ahead of the deadline. The absolute word limit was 1,000. My first/rough draft came out at 2,163. I had to make radical cuts or come up with a whole new idea Well, it took all night and three passes on paper, with some smaller tweaks at the keyboard, but I did it! Amazing what you can cut out while saving the heart and bones of a story, if the heart and bones are strong! And I thought cutting 16,000 words back to 12,000 for a Glimmertrain submission was a challenge!

I'm exhausted (I'm also recovering from almost three weeks of urinary tract hell, hopefully over now), but proud of myself for finishing, and it's a good, solid, tight story. Now I need to get some sleep before I drive in to town for a poetry contest reception. The young prodigy from my writing group (who is also in the 24-hour contest) won and invited me, and I really do want to go.

I've finished a lot of stories (32 sold, four respectable mainstream rejections, and one non-winner contest entry, among others), but I don't think I've ever been any prouder of myself for finishing a job by deadline. I feel like a winner right now, whether I get a prize or not,. Everyone else in the house is asleep and I had to share the news somewhere. I did it!

Regards,

SharonID... wondering if I've got competition amongst this crew for this contest...

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
congrats!!!

I hope you do well.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.