Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Power of the future

Author Topic: Power of the future
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
what power sorces would be good to use in a book 150 years in the future? sence there is plenty of natural gass and coul to use for a nother 300 years. would they still use them? or will there be something new?
dont have a lot of time to check often but ideas will be welcome as often as i can.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wind Farms and Solar energy are the main two I can think of off the top of my head, and nuclear comes to mind right now.

Hydroelectric and Geo-thermal energy could come into play as well if you want to go that way, I like the idea of tapping into the planet's lava flow for heat and energy.

Ok... I think coal would be good as well, but it'll be down played if you plan on using more economical ventures to save on Climate Change and whatnot.

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited April 24, 2007).]

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Biodiesel (hmm, is that how you spell that?) or other things based on a general trend toward renewable energy sources. Turning our garbage into energy seems like something as a society we're going to have to do before too long, or we'll be overwhelmed by our garbage...
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonidas
Member # 5022

- posted      Profile for Leonidas   Email Leonidas         Edit/Delete Post 
What jumps into my mind is the book "Friday" by Heinlein. The treatment of energy was revolutionized not by the source of energy but by the storage of energy. The sun, wind, geothermal, and nuclear are all abundant sources of energy, but the storage of the energy until it can be used is the current problem. The reason battery powered cars aren't dominating the market is because the batteries haven't reached a storage capacity to where they can match combustion fuels.

Assuming that we have mastered our battery problems, there is still the question of where will the power come from to charge the batteries. I think in 150 years, we will have mastered the atom to where we can build smaller and safer nuclear plants. Solar and Wind power take up too much real estate.

[This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited April 24, 2007).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
horses and cattle, burning wood and grass,if some of those in power have their way.

personal (unrefined) nuclear powered vehicles and homes is quite likely. The technology is almost there, but the laws are not.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzylogic
Member # 5384

- posted      Profile for Fuzzylogic   Email Fuzzylogic         Edit/Delete Post 

What about a more direct way of harnessing solar energy. Maybe collecting engergy directly from solar flares emitted by the sun.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Leonidas - batteries are the crux of being able to take full advantage of any alternative energy source; mastering batteries opens them all up.

As an initial source of power - what about harnessing biological power? Perhaps genetically engineering organisms which are incredibly efficient at breaking down things (such as our garbage, as mentioned by others above). This could be done on a grand, large power-plant scale, or possibly even on an individual consumer basis (your garbage disposal becomes your home power plant).

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The only futures I would feel much like considering either involve variations on the status quo or humans figuring out a way to actually be part of the ecosystem in a sustainable way.

Actually, in the Bible, Ezekiel was instructed to eat a sprouted bread and burn his own dung for fuel. You've probably seen the Ezekiel bread if you hang around Low carb dieters or health food stores. As for the other... that's when your diet becomes a true lifestyle change

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Fusion and Biochemical batteries that run on bacterial break down of sugar/alcohol are two up and coming techs that are likely going to need 50+ years R&D(maybe maybe not) to get as efficient as contemporary products.
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a combination of power sources.
Hydrogen
Ethanol type fuels
nuclear (possibly fusion by then)
Solar
Wind
Geothermal
Hydroelectric

I just really think we'll be able to figure out how to use our own planet for our needs, without polluting it. With the possible exception of nuclear, all of those ideas are clean and safe.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all it has brought many posible hits.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A late addition to this thread, but...what can be gleaned about the power sources a hundred and fifty years in the future from examining what was thought about a hundred and fifty years in the past? Something out-of-left-field might be called for. (Ever read Jack Williamson's "The Equalizer," on how a simple new way to generate power (or electricity) utterly changed a society?)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.