Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Character Creation Situation

Author Topic: Character Creation Situation
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you either been in one of the following situations yourselves, or can you offer input from anyone who has?

1. Are your characters inspired by people you either know in real life or have watched in virtual form?

2. Specifically, do you ever closely watch performances or other appearances of actors and steal aspects of the looks and mannerisms of certain ones?

3. Has anyone ever read one of your stories and recognized themselves or anyone else?

4. If a story owed a lot to someone (presumably in a GOOD way) like if a story was inspired by your favorite actor and you had a chance to share that with him or her, would you?

5. Have you ever heard of any writer telling an actor that a work was inspired by them, and, if so, how did the actor respond?

Thanks for any input on this little hypothetical train of thought.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Without a doubt, my characters are inspired people I know in real life . . . or have watched. But that initial inspiration is just a way to help me get out of the gate. They always seem to take on a life of their own.

2. Looks and mannerisms in prose? Looks, no. It's almost always impossible to communicate these. Whereas a person in real life or an actor on the screen can communicate fear and anger through facial expressions, you can't do that effectively in a story. You have to give the reader this information in a different way -- usually through telling them (oh, the horrors) or by getting into their mind.

Mannerisms, yes -- I steal mannerisms all the time. Name a writer who doesn't?

3. No.

4. Depends on how rich and famous I was. If I were a Stephen King or John Grisham or Tom Clancy, then yes, I would b/c it wouldn't matter. But if I were only a mid-list writer, I'd keep my mouth shut b/c it would look as if I were some stupid fanboy trying to get attention that wasn't merited.

5. No.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited May 18, 2007).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Are your characters inspired by people you either know in real life or have watched in virtual form?

Sometimes. On one level, I can only write a lot about people I understand, so main characters who get a lot of page time tend to have personalities that I can related to. Some of them end up a lot like me (except in circumstances I would hope never, ever to find myself in and the improbable amounts of luck that all novel MCs have). For other or minor characters, I often sabotage mannerisms from my friends and families and assign them to a character. It serves as a good anchor to help that character be a rounded, unique individual that doesn't meld into the other characters of the book.

2. Specifically, do you ever closely watch performances or other appearances of actors and steal aspects of the looks and mannerisms of certain ones?

No, not consciously. If I ever try to write the devil, though, it will be hard for me to get Al Pacino's performance in The Devil's Advocate out of my head.

3. Has anyone ever read one of your stories and recognized themselves or anyone else?

Yes.

4. If a story owed a lot to someone (presumably in a GOOD way) like if a story was inspired by your favorite actor and you had a chance to share that with him or her, would you?

Unlikely.

5. Have you ever heard of any writer telling an actor that a work was inspired by them, and, if so, how did the actor respond?

Bernard Cornwall wrote a very successful series of historical fiction novels about British Rifle Officer Richard Sharpe. The BBC picked up the movie rights, and started making hour-long movies, each movie retelling the story of one of the novels (more or less). Sean Bean was cast as Richard Sharpe. Cornwall was so impressed by Bean's portrayal of the hard-bitten peasant-officer that he in later books began altering Sharpe's physical descrption, and, to a lesser extent, his mannerisms, to match Bean's.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
My characters kind of come to me. They become the person they need to be to support the story. And I allow the story to transform them in ways I hadn't planned. I don't base my characters on real people. It's a good way to offend your friends or lose control of the character (see OSC's Character and Viewpoint).

Sometimes I'll write a character and it'll remind me of someone I know, or of an actor/actress, and then I'll be able to build from there.

Sometimes if I can find an actor/actress to embody the person I've imagined, I'll keep them in mind as a mental picture.

Matt

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
I love when I'm developing a character, pondering them, and realize that they fit in a certain way with someone I know. I gives me confidence that they're realistic, first of all. Then I can look at it from a different perspective, and flesh them out more both in line and in variance from that real person.
Sometimes I purposefully draw my own psyche into something, try to convey what goes on in my head through a view-point character that's like me, too.

I draw inspiration from anything that sparks an idea. The witchqueen and princess in Willow actually crystallized in my mind as I watched that movie and went in a specific direction from the portrayal there even while I sat there. That story ended up being part of a much bigger picture, so I doubt anyone would recognize it (except for the witchqueen connection) but I would admit it to anyone. I doubt the actresses and film-makers would care, though. I'm sure they hear that a lot, too...

Rhythms of speech certainly I pick up. Gestures and physical expressions, as mentioned, don't necessarily translate to good prose, but I pick up verbal habits all the time. Personally and for characters.

It's only recently I've had that connect with real people, so I don't think anyone has had a chance to recognize themselves. I doubt they would, anyway, certainly not accurately. I purposefully dissemble. ^_^

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
No, on all counts. My characters are all manefestations of different parts of me. They have to be, I made them up, and they do and think what I tell them to. Even if you base a character on real person (which I never do) you're telling it through the filter of your own impression of that person, ergo, still a part of you.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

That about Bernard Cornwall is the situation in opposite, but WAY COOL, thanks!
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 

Sometimes, some aspect of a character will be based on someone I've known or someone I've watched on TV or in a film. Usually it's the physical form of the person that resembles the person I'm working on, so the part in my story becomes "cast" by that person (sort of), which makes it easier for me to be more expressive with their mannerisms and so on. For instance, in my novel "Dawn of the Two," my character Ethan's personality was originally based on my husband. Ethan bears a physical resemblance to a man who, like Ethan and my hubby, is quiet, responsible, determined and shy, and who also clenches his teeth so his jaw muscle works rather prominently when he's stressed. I don't make a big deal of this, but from time to time in my novel, Ethan's brother notices the muscle in Ethan's jaw working, which is the only sign he gives that he's tense. If I hadn't "cast" this person in Ethan's role, I would've missed having that mannerism as one of Ethan's characteristics. Sometimes the person "cast" in the role is an actor, sometimes someone I've observed somewhere (I love to people-watch at the mall, for instance). I try to avoid using family and friends as the basis for characters, except for certain personality traits, but nobody would ever know who I based those traits on, the way I work them into the characters.

Most of my characters also have aspects of my own personality in them, but for the bad guys, I do psychological research on mentally disturbed people, serial killers, etc., and use that to create their backstory and personality.

Sometimes - see above. But only if the actor fits the character I've already created in my head. If he doesn't resemble the character in body type but does resemble him in personality, I might use a quirk of his personality in my character, although my character will look completely different from this guy. If I can find an actor who has both the look and personality that fits the character I've ALREADY CREATED, then that actor may be the inspiration for that character's way of moving, speaking, etc. I don't use personal friends or family members as the "model" for any characters except for once when I used my deceased father as the inspiration for a character - and my father wouldn't have minded. I don't want to cause problems with my friends and family! I live on a farm and don't have a lot of interaction with other people like those who work in an office or are in school do, so I take my inspirations where I can find them.

No.

No. Well, if he'd read it, liked it and made some comment that invited such a revelation from me, maybe. But I'd have to be pretty darned certain of a good response from him (or her).

I know an actor for whom someone wrote a screenplay with him in mind as the star. It wasn't a huge hit, but he was honored that the screenplay was written for him and he did star in it (the film was "Scandalous" and the actor is Robert Hays).

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Airports can be interesting places to study character. Where, by just watching ordinary people, a writer can use the time between layovers to practice describing character. This is from last year:

She was late, her long blond stresses bounced rhythmically on her shoulders as she stormed through the concourse dragging a small carry-on like a reluctant child. Petite and determined in a cute sort of way wearing a dark pant suit over a white blouse, high heels drumming ominously as she strode toward the closing gate. Hammer shoes, I thought.

The memory can be easily retained and applied to a future story.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 

If your writing rings true someone you know will always say "you got that from me" even if it is not true. It makes them happy that you chose them for your writing. Unless they think you are protraying them bad. So as a rule I always tell them that parts of everyone I know go in to the people I write about, but no one in my stories is a direct discription of anyone I know.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had more people "recognize" themselves in my stories because I've used something that happened to them in a plot than I have because of how I described a character.

I don't think people see themselves they way we see them, so I don't think basing a character on someone is that big a concern. The problems come when you use someone else's experiences in your plots. Those are easier for people to recognize, and then they will become offended by how you describe the character those things are happening to in your story, even if the character is clearly (to you) not based on them.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

These answers are great, thanks!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.