Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Where have all the stories gone?

Author Topic: Where have all the stories gone?
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are a writer. You’ve been writing for some time now and Hatrack critics have generously aided you in perfecting your art. You’ve submitted some for publishing and you’ve have had either good luck or bad luck -- nevertheless you ARE a writer and have produced many stories to prove it.

So what happened to all those stories? Are they just forgotten? Trashed? Archived? Or are you constantly tweaking them as your writing skills improve?

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
A little bit of all of the choices.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Not "trashed" or "fogotten". Most are in the revision, subbing, or inspiration-for-later stage.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
My unpublished stories are almost all still in the market.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoved in the file cabinets behind me as I write this. After a point, it's better to move on than to keep tweaking, though I do revisit old ideas from time to time.

(We're talking thirty-two years worth of stuff here. It fills up one whole file cabinet and a good chunk of the other.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Like sons and daughters, they’re all my creations that I keep safely tucked away. Numbering around 60 or so, not including WIPs, it would be devastating if they were lost or destroyed.
I visit with them from time to time, and while there is always a chance to be published, I think of them as my legacy.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
My creations are works in progress, most of my pieces are tweaked constantly, or as often as I re read them. . . My short stories, some of them have been published, the others were given as gifts and forgotten(aka no longer edited) As I say to my english teachers. . . I'm so much better on the rewrite.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cannibalized.
(Was that an option?)

The writing may be "old me", but the ideas are often still very good, and completely usable in other novels/stories/whathaveyou.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
I have childhood manuscripts which are fun keepsakes, but going nowhere.
I'd estimate I'm off-again-on-again tweaking about five finished products. I have more dormant ones lying around. I'm working on a story right now that I finished the first draft and thought "trash". But I set it aside a few weeks and am now writing a whole new POV in to add depth, and it may not be a dead loss after all.

The only stories I don't have that I've written are two novel drafts I lost accidentally. It was a long time ago, and is just as well.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I kept carbon copies of everything---they're part of the bulk. You guys have heard of carbon paper, haven't you?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
What Alethea said. They are eaten like the mantis eats it's mate.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert: What a charming visual! It must be satisfying to have a physical copy of all your work; almost makes me want to tax my printer and get everything in hard copy.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't everybody keep a hard copy of everything?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
No, don't keep hard copies necessarily, but sometimes.

Electronic copies, though, I'm a packrat. I have a local copy, a backup on an external drive, and with stuff that's really important and I don't have time to backup - I email it to myself. (making sure to email the account that stores the mail on a central server rather than the one that downloads my mail to my computer...in case of catastrophic computer failure, which I have experienced in the past.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You've gotta realize...I'm from the old-fashioned era. It's nearly all typewriter-written. I didn't get a word processor till the early nineties and a computer till the late nineties. I've got rough drafts, final copies, and assorted notes. (There was a period where I sent out the first draft: the less said about that the better.)

Right now, I generally write a rough draft, print that out, type up a second draft based on that (it goes much faster the second time around), then paste that into a file and fiddle with it till I'm done---then print out that and send it to market, if I'm satisfied.

(There are some notable absences from my files. I mostly didn't bother to print up my Internet Fan Fiction at all, and what I did print up is in a different box.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.