Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » analysis

Author Topic: analysis
robertq
Member # 5265

- posted      Profile for robertq   Email robertq         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a value in studying published authors'
works? What's been peoples' experience with this?

Posts: 59 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if "studying" is the most correct way to term what I do when I read a work with the express purpose of examining their craft.

But I do find that I am often able to see "tricks" or hints or what ever in good writing that helps me write better. Its not a methodical process however.

Its more that I "condense fact from the vapor of nuance*" and this helps me be more me when I write.

*Neal Stephenson

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding? There is not only value, but immense value. I'm not sure what you mean by "studying" - but I think that if you do no more than read a story you are studying it. You are exposed to dialogue, pace, narrative and plot. What you have read will mingle with what you already know, most likely from reading, and new ideas will germinate. Reading provides the foundation upon which your own ideas and story will be built.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see how anybody can learn anything about writing unless they (a) like to read, and (b) study what they're reading.

(Sidebar---it kinda hit one of my buttons---I like the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond," but I find it hard to buy into Raymond's occupation---a sportswriter who shows no interest in reading anything that doesn't have something to do with his job. I see him as guy who'd kind of have a "blue collar" occupation---say, a construction contractor, but not a writer. Can a guy be a "blue collar writer?")

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I thought the script writers made Raymond a sports writer as a jab at sports writers. Sort of a "look, here's a dumb lazy guy, and he's a _sports_ writer."
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, there're probably only two ways to improve writing.

A) Write.
B) Read/study a lot.

Reading other works will let you find the things that worked and add them to your stuff and the stuff that, well, doesn't -- so you can excise it surgically from your own stuff. It also exposes you to new styles, which will probably let your writing take a turn from the repetitive.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I've "studied" any published authors' works, but I do approach every book I read from the point of view of a writer. It's something that comes without any need to remind myself to do it, now. I find myself asking, "why did the author write that sentence that way? How else could they have written it? Why did they structure these scenes in this order? What is/isn't effective about this story to me, and why?"

By using published works as a template from which you question your own approaches and methods, you gain valuable insights. I think it's invaluable to read like a writer. I can't imagine I'd be learning anything if I sat down with a beach read and just absorbed without question.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite bywords: "To become a good author one must read good authors. Often."
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The only other sportswriter / TV character I can think of is Oscar "The Odd Couple" Madison---kinda cut from the same cloth, though Oscar seemed more passionate about his job than Ray Barone. There are sitcoms about sports ("Sports Night," "Coach,") but they've never grabbed me. I may have missed something. Anyway, in both shows, it's not about the sportswriting.

(Phil Rosenthal, the creator / exec. producer of "Raymond," has an excellent book out about how he went about it. I'll recommend it here for all writers wanting to know what writing for TV is like.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Should'a put down the name of the book: "You're Lucky You're Funny: How Life Becomes a Sitcom."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.