Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Victorean resource material....

Author Topic: Victorean resource material....
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on an alternate 1890's piece and need good resource material for America in the 1890's.

I am interested in period fiction or well written historical texts.

Any suggestions? Given the twist I'm putting on the world I have a good bit of liberty, but would like to maintain a "realist" tone and need the resource material to help flesh things out.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Jules Verne published around that time.

I have a WIP around that time period, too. It's on the backburner, for now.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on an alternate 1830s piece, so I've been snooping around the 19th century at large, and have found some materials that will hit on that year:

A History of Private Life (Volume IV): From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War by Philippe Ariés and Georges Duby (general editors.)

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist - the Facts of Daily Life in 19th-Century England by Daniel Pool

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800s by Marc McCutcheon

Here are some book results that came up on a search amongst the shelves of the local library, which look helpful and have been favorably reviewed:

Schnitzler's Century: The Making of Middle-Class Culture 1815-1914 by Peter Gay

Age of Progress in the Great Ages of Man Series, S.C. Burchell; the editors of Time-Life Books.

Dvorak In America: In Search of the New World by Joseph Horowitz

New York Night: The Mystique and Its History by Mark Caldwell

Fads: America's Crazes, Fevers, and Fancies from the 1890s to the 1970s by Peter L Skolnik, Laura Torbet, and Nikki Smith.

I read Jules Verne's Paris in the 20th Century and found it a good read as well as an interesting insight into that century's expectations for the future.

And lastly, there's a book called Victorian England which is part of the Rockliff New Project Series. I have the 19th Century (up to 1850) volume here, by Arthur B. Allen, but I'm not sure if the next one is by the same author or not. It's a little older series, but this volume has provided lots of good information to me.

Hope you find those helpful.

Good luck! :)

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes those look like they will be very helpful.

Guess I will be hitting the library today :-)

Thanks for the suggestions...

If the book ends up sprawling into Europe the Verne books could prove handy, but atm the moment it is set primarilly in the mid west to California, though it does begin in Massachussetts and move briefly to Manhattan.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
It belatedly occurs to me to suggest the Little House on the Prairie books, too. Unless I'm mistaken, the later books take place around the time you're looking at.
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.