Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "Empire" proves it's own point...

Author Topic: "Empire" proves it's own point...
MommaMuse
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for MommaMuse   Email MommaMuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Something funny and yet very sad, that I thought the folks here - as well as Mr. and Mrs. Card - might get a kick out of...

Being broker than the ten commandments, I opted to get a copy of Empire I found on amazon for about $3.50. (The book is definitely worth the full price, but as I mentioned earlier, we be po') When I finally recieved the book, it turned out to be from a public library in Miami, and had "WITHDRAWN" stamped in big black letters on the very first page of the book.

Now I bought the book several months ago, and I asked the guy why he was sellling it so soon after buying it. Apparently, he'd found it in a librry book sale for a dollar, and decided to see if it would sell.

Now I personally am not into politics of any sort, and avoid anything with a political tone to it like the plague. I hate politics. They're stupid, cruel, hateful and all about destroying someone so that someone else can come into power. But I LOVED this book, and found myself agreeing with some of the views expressed by the main characters. Not all, but some. I found it almost hysterical that someone was so intimidated by a FICTIONAL story book, that they felt the need to take it off the shelves of a public library just a few months after it's release.

Is it just me, or does that sound like a sneaky form of censorship?

As for me, I loved it, and I've read it a couple of times already. And I really do hate political stories.

Posts: 105 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Censorship, or illiteracy? I don't know what prompts a library to remove a book, but if no one is checking it out and the free space is getting small, then yes, I could see a book off the shelf in months. Reading has been replaced with tv for a majority of youth, so that leaves those who find books more appealing than tv. I wouldn't be surprised at even more changes as time goes on.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, and it's not that old, either. Most likely a case of overstock---too many copies on hand. (Haven't yet gotten around to reading my copy, yet.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think libraries play politics. They stock the # of copies they need. They probably had too many of that one. I don't get the impression that it was his most popular book...I, for one, found it pretty unbelievable.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read it, and its not high up on my 'to read' list. I prefer spec fic over political thriller any day. But I think someone talked OSC into writing it as a launching pad to a comic book series. I think its even got a movie deal.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Not an issue. I just checked the online library catalog for the greater Cincinnati area where 18 copies are available.
Many communities are joined in a shared system – all you have to do is order.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm waiting for the paperback.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it with my audible.com subscription and its not bad.

I have to Spoil the end to make a point that OSC committed a major writing sin concerning the MC again. Maybe I'll leave it at that.

As to writing in general its really not too much of a "political thriller" and actually is fairly speculative in the technology employed by the "bad" guys.

Its a moderately over the top but none the less as believable in my opinion as say the Da Vinci Code or Red Storm Rising/Debt of Honor/Sum of all Fears/Every Tom Clancy book ever.

Its a different style for OSC but yet I still feel him telling the story. Its not "Fantasy with Science for Magic" its "Near-Futurist" writing with a lot of What ifs for a premises.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.