Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Animal Poll

Author Topic: Animal Poll
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing a little something from the perspective of a cat. I wonder how you all feel about cats and dogs (as well as other species) speaking the same language.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
as long as the genre isn't SF I personally don't care.

For it to be SF you'd need tech/science to let that happen.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any problem with it as long as I like the characters. It's been done a lot with success so you don't need to explain it. It's just accepted.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you anthropomorphising them or are they going to act like animals and simply have a language associated to explain there actions?

A useful cheat is to indicate early on that the language of the piece is simply an approximation of the complex language of body movement and smells from the animal world.

Compared to even the nose blunted animal humans have a pitiful sense of smell. It is completely reasonable that since pretty much every other creature on land has a keener olfactory sense that there could and probably is a whole landscape of communication taking place around us.

That's a wordy yes btw :-)

Actually if you want a little twist, humans have something called the Jacobsen Organ or Vomeronasal Organ, it is the receptor portion of the brain that would govern interpreting the massive amount of information conveyed in smell. In humans it is vestigial, you could have a human narrator or annotator in which that organ was active. A 21st century Dr. Doolittle.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited July 02, 2007).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
They should speak different languages. Sure, the more intelligent of the breed would be fluent in both, but they should be different. Different species, different languages.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
i myself write about dogs and wolves. manly for i am werewolf, although the transformation is not posible in this plain of existence...YET Thank god for genitic research.

as for your charictors speeking issue, try to have 2 langues that each animal uses. and then a translater another animal translate for them in conversation between the 2.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure I'm "cat people." Cats'll come up to me, I'll scratch them, then they'll follow me around for awhile, till they get bored and wander off.

About the only generalization I can think of, that might apply to writing from their perspective, is that "cats don't care." They pretty much like being on their own, away from regular people, until and unless they want something.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
You’re a werewolf? I thought you were just going to break your magic chains to kill Odin in the Norse apocalypse, Ragnarok. Watch out for Vidar. He is a angsty, angry young god that will seek revenge. =)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, it depends of the kind of story it is. If it’s a children’s story you don’t need to explain how they talk to each other kids will take it as a given. Look at the recent movies ‘The Wild’ and ‘Over the Hedge’ all sorts of species speak the same language, and it works because it wasn’t over explained. The author let the viewer make the assumption about how they communicate.

If it’s an adult story, again over explanation could destroy the suspension of disbelief, but you might want to have them act and communicate like animals. You could also have language barriers from domesticated animals and the wild ones, which would be quite interesting.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
My take is this: Animals communicate primarily through body language. Predators might have a different "language" than prey animals; land animals different than water animals; and so on. Overall, though, I think that animals that your POV cat is familiar with would speak the same "language" (i.e. she can communicate freely with them) while (s)he might need a bit of time to correctly understand unfamiliar animal types.

I say this because I can hold a rather complicated conversation with my own horse and understand his responses perfectly. I could do this after about 9 months of working with him. I can generally understand most horses because they use much the same body language. However, I probably would need some time to correctly grasp what a dolphin--even one used to humans--was trying to say because I've never worked with them.

Hope this helped.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
the funny thing Alye is that i am to my knoledge one of 15 Christan Werewolves. for i started my own clain.

Odin is nomore than a myth to me. Pluse we have tech that can (in developement now) that can kill any thing living, dead, mortal, or not.

Cats are quite odd in their own way. i have never met a cat (unless it had rabies) that did not like me. but i do beleve cats are trying to take over the world before my kind do.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Watership Down, which is an excellent book by the way, presents a good example of how to handle the language issue. In the book, the rabbits speak Bunny (not really the name) but there was a kind of common language among the forest animals. Most animals only knew a few key phrases in it, so it was realistic. When the rabbits needed to talk to another animal species, they could get across basic information, but not quite sit and chit chat.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited July 03, 2007).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
You might look at it as a COMMON or trade language. They speak a language that everybody can understand, but is not part of any one else's language.
An advantage of that is that it would be difficult for a preditor to talk a prey into sacrificing itself as food. The language is not that easy to use so no one is going to be fluent in it.

Now Indians had a sign language so they could communicate, which was not the same as speaking. For animals, it might be smell, body postures, expressions, sounds, or a combination of these. It could also be something we cannot hear.

some animals do have common "terms" for things. some animals will hang around with other animals and a warning sound will tell them where the danger comes from, the sky, below, to the sides. Other animals knowing the signal will understand how to react for safety.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I see a common interanimalian language AND individual species languages. I think it's plain to see from the way dogs and cats react to one another that they do NOT speak a common language, but at times they manage to communicate clearly enough.

You know the difference between cats and dogs?

A dog thinks: "This person is feeding me! He must be a god!"

A cat thinks: "This person is feeding me. I must be a god."

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Cats are quite an odd creature. they think they are gods even if they are stays.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Back in Egyptian times,
Man worshoped Cats as gods
And the cats have never forgotten that.

I have seen aliens based on the animals handled in three basic ways.
One is a person in a animal suit. They are written like normal people but look like animals.
two is an animal made to walk upright. Anne McCafrey's Doona Series did this. The aliens are cats top to bottom, including the purr in the names. Consider an author basing us on how a chimpanzee acts. (Yes I do know a few of those kind of people but that is besides the point).
Both those methods are "cheating" and usually not well done.
The third is where you create the alien from scratch, where they look something like the creature they appear to be. That is hard.

Now I have not read THAT many stories from the animal's point of view where you get into their mind, but getting the motivations for their actions is tough.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I love the Hatrack. You ask a yes or no question and you get fourteen different responses. Thanks everyone I'll chew on these for a while, I'm still in prelims on this. but I'll just say that I had to go with a cat because the humans are all dead. (and I have spent more time with cats than dogs) I know that cats and dogs communicate. This is planned as a short so I don't have much space to explain every little nuance of animal communication, besides I don't think they think of it down to the tail flick.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.