Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Where is everybody?

Author Topic: Where is everybody?
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like almost 100% turn-over on Hatrack from when I first started. Who is still lurking or dropping in from time to time?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
They pop up occasionally. I've seen Christine and Dakota lately, and franc li as well.

Maybe most of them are over at Liberty Hall.

Anyway, it's good to get new blood. OSC believes that writers groups should disband after a year because by then everyone has learned all they can from the people in their group and they need to move on to a different bunch of people. So the turnover kind of helps that to happen.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm still hanging in. Almost two years, now. But then the last place I hung out at, for about, oh, five years, I (mostly) left 'cause I got irritated. Not yet here, though.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of us still lurk around and throw in a thought or two on occasion.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
While others of us missed the writing singularity altogether. We are the Left Behind... (that is abandoned to our own devices, rather than an anatomical unmentionable).
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

- posted      Profile for PatEsden           Edit/Delete Post 
I still lurk from time to time. Between writing a novel and working on revision suggestions I've gotten from an agent, I'm trying to not spend too much time online. I only post when something really hits me.

But Hatrack was definately what got me to the point I'm at right now.

[This message has been edited by PatEsden (edited July 09, 2007).]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Halllooooo....

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
When I drop out, it's because I'm too busy to browse forums, and I've been waaaaaaay too busy the last couple of months with a big sculpture commission and with doing the final polish on my novel and getting some other stuff written, too. But I try to cruise through here whenever I have the time. I've learned a lot here and enjoy the wide-ranging conversations, as well.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well technically I've been around longer than others who've posted here but I took a sabbatical from creative writing for much of 2006.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an old timer, as such, but I'm still here.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I still drop in every now and again. I haven't had a whole lot of time to get on or to write even. I've been busy at work and enrolling in college for this fall. I'm hoping to get a story published in the University review this year.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

I'm still here--though not as much as I used to be. Has it only been three years? But we've gone through some pretty fundamental changes in the membership in the past year or so that have made me both a dinosaur and stranger in many ways.

Like Kathleen says, this place loses its effectiveness for the individual after so long. You get to a point in your mastership of the craft that Hatrack has nothing new to offer. After that you hang around for sentiment. It is, after all, the best place on the web for wannabe writers to gather and learn. A safe haven, a warm-fuzzy of writerly encouragment.

Wouldn't it be nice if the old-timers (like more than two years of membership) could have a little gold star--like the seller/buyer rating stars on ebay? (Survivor--wherever he may be--would rate a constellation!)

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited July 09, 2007).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I miss Survivor.

Lots of things keeping me from actively participating for now, but I lurk often. I check in several times daily, and usually at odd hours at that.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Well can't have an account much older than 3 years, the boards reset back in 04 and I, among others, had to restart our accounts.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I still drop by occasionally. But I mainly hang out with my Bootcamp section. It's funny you should have this topic up now; I just poked my head in here for the first time in over a year, just to see who was still around. I spend most of my bulletin board time with Liberty Hall and Codex now. I think I stopped wanting to be here during that short time when folks were actively and unkindly driving out newbies. I'll bet it's changed since then, but really, that's why I stopped being active here.

But yeah, I started out on Hatrack, and the people here definitely taught me just about everything I know.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited July 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm around, although not as much. I've had some serious health challenges this year, and that has consumed much of my time as well as left me unable to concentrate so I can write. Now that I'm on the opposite side of radiation treatments, my energy level is picking up. I've recently rejoined a private crit group of Hatrack alumni, so in many ways I feel I'm still involved.

I do miss the input from the long-term Hatrackers on the board, however. Seems the active ones right now are all newbies.

I recall when I first joined Mary Robinette was doing a HUB search for Survivor. Maybe it's time to get the HUB back out again.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well can't have an account much older than 3 years, the boards reset back in 04 and I, among others, had to restart our accounts.

Hmm, mine says March 21, 2003...has it really been that long?

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, mine is Dec 2004, but I know I had been on here as far back as Dec of 2003.

Maybe it's just me...I go through fits of activity. I'll be active for 1-3 months then vanish or lurk for a year before getting active again.

I think it's directly related to job satisfaction :-)

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here from time to time. Don't have enough time free from running Liberty Hall and [still] learning to write, to be here as much as I'd like to be.

Yeah, what is the status of the HUB now? Isn't it time for some of these newer friends of ours to upgrade it to Version 3?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.