Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Critiques -- for the millionth time?

Author Topic: Critiques -- for the millionth time?
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
The only critiques I feel have any value are the ones aimed at the author's fiction. Personal attacks don't interest me and suck up time I could be using to write. Since I have no interest in personal attacks, I've begun to feel my time here is wasted.

Thus, as a friend and fellow writer, my request is: could we please refrain from critiquing other's critiques in F&F? At the very least, perhaps such personal conflicts could be handled more privately?

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I am for anything that puts principles before personalities, although I like some people's personalities here a lot and rather consider them friends.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Has F&F fallen so far? Oh dear. You youngsters.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

I was thinking it was more of a dip in the road, is all. Still ...
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the critiquing in question was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

Though yes, as a general rule, we are pretty far down in here. (Lord knows I am. Damn story!) Anyone got a rope handy?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

virtual rope? You Better get another story out, soon. I'm pining for vampires right now.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you what I think, lehollis.

It's utterly lacking in context, but (upon re-re-reading) it appears to be the start of a speech or a forum thread - definitely a formal request. It's an interesting technique, but it may take a bit of work to make sure it doesn't turn into a gimmick.

I feel like I've just been thrown into a milieu, and as it stands, it doesn't have enough hook to make me want to tough it out until things become clear. Maybe you could try moving the conflict forward? It may just need to have the paragraphs switched followed by a few semantic clean-ups.

One shining good point is that it seems very genuine. Have you been studying "method writing"?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
lehollis...I had no idea what you were talking about from this post....it's been a while since I've wandered through F&F but I seem to recall that the occasional, "I have to disagree with Christine, I thought the opening line was very hooky," didn't go over badly. Then I poked my head in F&F and found the thread I think you were talking about. I have to admit, I've never seen anything quite like it.

I think it does bear reminding that a critique is, first and foremost, an opinion. As a writer and even as a fellow critiquer, I have seen many styles of crits that annoy me. I tend to be most annoyed when a new writer learns a new "rule" and points out every instance in my story of violating that rule. (I once had someone highlight every being verb in a story, even the ones in dialog!) Still, you take what you can from it and move on

Until today, I have never felt compelled to give this advice to other critiquers.

This is a message board and from time to time, there are going to be things that come up that just don't seem right....personalities that don't quite mesh...I've run into them myself. I can be hot headed sometimes. Still, I've stuck with them and worked them out. Hatrack has always been good for that, IMHO.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Trousercuit, thank you for your feedback. I'll consider your suggestions during the rewrite.

Christine, sorry. I guess I was trying to find some distance from that thread, so I didn't really mention it directly. It's only clear if one has read that thread in F&F.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
well it also seems that this is yet another example of how the internet changes things.

lehollis has no direct stake in the critique "conflict" other than a tangential one as a member of Hatrack yet because said interaction is posted publicly it becomes everyone's business. I personally don't think that either side of the conflict are ready to take gloves off and I personally enjoy a bit of lively discussion as mfrievald can attest.

F&F is a training ground not only for those whose stories are available for critique but those who are giving critiques and observing critiques. When I give a critique, I am not seeking to destroy a writer but to improve one as "iron sharpens iron." Likewise, I must also posses enough reflexivity to ask myself am I making these same mistakes? If so I take myself to task and set my proverbial house in order.

No one controls F&F (except of course KDW) but by the same token, all hatrackers past present or future share in ownership of this important training ground.

yet approaches vary and this impacts how people feel about it. What's worse are that stories come to F&F in all stages. Some people bring their first 13 without having anything else written, while others bring the first 13 of a work 6 months sometimes 6 years in the making. This uneven approach by we Hatrackers has of course yielded wildly differing results.

Writing is a deeply personal thing but it is not done strictly for one's self otherwise as Heinlein noted it becomes "pseudo-intellectual masturbation."

Thus we must understand that in writing we are not doing this for the story or for our writer's soul but for the reader. F&F is where our stories often meet "good" readers for the first time and not simply pleasant ones.

Some may approach F&F as a treadmill or track where one goes through paces in order to prepare, others may see it as greenhouse where seedlings are nurtured while others may see it as dress rehearsal for opening night; while others may approach it as an inter-team scrimmage where each side must play hard if the team is to improve.

No matter which analogy one might prefer F&F is a service that comes in all shapes and sizes and its almost guaranteed that there are Hatrackers amongst the 3300 of us who can provide whatever tone of feedback a writer desires but one's preference does not invalidate anothers.

On a more personal note, I ask that we all assume positive intent. As an example I know I come across rough but its only when I come across at all its only to help the story. I try to read every new thread in F&F but I don't respond to every first 13 because quite often I don't either a) see anything technically wrong (ie structure or presentation.) I never critique style/voice except when it effects presentation drastically or b) I simply cannot provide anything I believe is useful to the story. I don't know anyone here from Adam and claim no gatekeeper role.

Free Advice is just that and as always TANSTAAFL.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 12, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

TANSTAAFL indeed.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
lehollis:

quote:
Trousercuit, thank you for your feedback. I'll consider your suggestions during the rewrite.

I feel I should point out that my post was in jest, but may have been quite opaque, owing to the fact that I wrote it at about 5:00am. I was critiquing your post which started this thread, not your post that started the one in F&F. Ha ha. Ain't I a stinker?

Um, yeah. It was darned funny at the time, though.

I also feel I should point out that rather than not getting my ill-delivered joke (such as it is), you may simply be matching my dry tone - but I can't really tell.

FWIW, I think a critiquer shouldn't critique another critiquer's critique. That's fairly bad critiquiquette.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Trousercuit, yes I was trying to match your dry tone I figured it was in jest, and quite clever too. No need for concern.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what critique is being referred to since I don't critique here, but just as a thought on critiquing in general: I'm not sure that a critiquer should never comment on another's critique.

Admittedly if you do, it's sure to start an argument. But if someone is giving poor or useless critiques, how else will they know that unless someone says something? I think if I were putting time and effort into critiques that wouldn't help anyone I'd really want to know.

Generally, I have to agree that it's best to let a poor critique go, but I do wonder if at times it might not be a worthwhile thing to tell someone that they need to rethink their critiques. Then again, I've always been considered contentious, so that's just me.

Sorry, I'm just giving off-the-cuff thoughts to delay the fact that I need to work on a difficult chapter. *chuckles*

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

quote:
...since I don't critique here...

Hmmm.... there must be someone wandering around masquerading as you and critiquing people's first 13's.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

From time to time when I have seen a rash of poorly phrased or considered criticisms on F&F, I started topics on the Open Discussion board about techniques etc. The more general discussion allows me to not point fingers and can be beneficial to everyone. Directly responding to another's critique is usually a bad idea, though, because they did it as a favor and, after all, it's always an opinion -- even if it's not phrased that way.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
Hmmm.... there must be someone wandering around masquerading as you and critiquing people's first 13's.

There must be then, because I did two or three crits here when I first registered a couple of months ago and haven't critted here since.

I decided I disliked the concept of critiquing the first 13 lines. I just don't find it productive and don't do it.

I understand that some people like doing it that way. I just don't, personal opinion. I drop in occasionally for a little discussion when I'm procrastinating writing as I am right now. *chuckles*

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Technically, the first 13 lines are just supposed to be a sample to get critquers interested in helping further...then private e-mails should contain the whole story. (The 13 line cutoff has to do with electronic publishing rights -- you give them up if you post an entire story to a public forum.) Unfortunately, the first 13 lines are often all that get critiqued a lot of the time. It even seems to encourage people posting unfinished beginnings, something I can't say I'm fond of unless you have a specific question about opening hooks and how they work.

If you specifically ask for readers for the whole story, you should be able to get some takers.

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

JeanneT, now whose assuming?

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
I don't know what critique is being referred to since I don't critique here, but just as a thought on critiquing in general: I'm not sure that a critiquer should never comment on another's critique.

For me, I may post in response to a critic's post, but not directly to them. For example, He Who Must Be Bold made a comment I disagreed with in a recent critique. Instead of saying, "InarticulateBabbler, you're wrong about that." I simply said something like, 'I didn't have a problem with that line, I think it's fine as is, I felt I understood the author's intent, etc.'

The difference is that I posted my own feelings on an issue that had been raised. I didn't try to speak for everyone, or act like my way was best. InarticulateBabbler might be right, but I think it's up to the author to decide who to listen to. (In fact, I suspect if a poll were taken, more Hatrackers would agree with IB than me on that one.)

debhoag
Member # 5493

Quote:
Showing a rape shows respect for women? That is a rather bizarre way of looking at it. Or is what you are trying to say that in your book women are helpless and victims and that in this scene you are setting this up? - posted August 9, 2007

I don't know, Matt, it sounds pretty critical to me. We better call the crit police and let them know there's an imposter around!

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I think it's up to the author to decide who to listen to

I absolutely and emphatically agree.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Dare one say you boldly agree?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say at least one dares.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I daresay he baldly decrees, myself.
debhoag
Member # 5493

to baldly, boldly go where no babbler has gone before?
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Ah deb, babblers have indeed been there before, but never one quite so... inarticulate.

Jayson Merryfield

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited August 20, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Make that five complaints.
And, given the way this thread is going, and, frankly, the way not a few of the newer personalities on here interact, it doesn't surprise me that F&F is having some troubles.

Hatrack works because and only because people come here that care about writing more than ego, about learning more than about scoring debating points. If that stops being true, I expect Hatrack will stop demonstrating its historcial openness and usefulness.

[This message has been edited by J (edited August 14, 2007).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
Quote:
Showing a rape shows respect for women? That is a rather bizarre way of looking at it. Or is what you are trying to say that in your book women are helpless and victims and that in this scene you are setting this up? - posted August 9, 2007

I don't know, Matt, it sounds pretty critical to me. We better call the crit police and let them know there's an imposter around!

Hmmmm Another attack from Debhoag. Interesting.

You might want to make your attacks on me a bit more accurate.

Just to make it perfectly clear that quote that Debhoag claimed was a crit was not. It was from the "A tricky situation" thread about whether a rape in a novel was a good idea. I hadn't read the piece. I couldn't crit and and didn't crit it. I expressed an opinion on the situation which is exactly what the poster asked people to do.

I do not post crits on this site.

Edit: Assuming what, Matt? I made no assumption. I stated an opinion which I had the good sense to label as a personal opinion. If you (and/or Debhoag) have a problem with my personal opinion, frankly, that's fine with me.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited August 14, 2007).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I need to get official?

Guess so.

The way lehollis recommends responding or commenting on someone else's feedback:

quote:
For me, I may post in response to a critic's post, but not directly to them. For example, He Who Must Be Bold made a comment I disagreed with in a recent critique. Instead of saying, "InarticulateBabbler, you're wrong about that." I simply said something like, 'I didn't have a problem with that line, I think it's fine as is, I felt I understood the author's intent, etc.'

The difference is that I posted my own feelings on an issue that had been raised. I didn't try to speak for everyone, or act like my way was best. InarticulateBabbler might be right, but I think it's up to the author to decide who to listen to. (In fact, I suspect if a poll were taken, more Hatrackers would agree with IB than me on that one.)

Is the way it should be done if it is necessary to do at all.

If you don't like what another Hatracker says, please either ignore him or her, or state your take on the subject. Please don't go around quoting what you don't like and then commenting negatively on it.

Thank you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I am taking this to mean that you see comments on a person's work as crits also, Kathleen? While I don't like finding myself baited into commenting, I also find it really astounding that I am the only one being censored.
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

its not you, its really all of us, myself included
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
When people ask for feedback on their work, and others comment on that work, critiquing is probably happening.

Commenting on what someone else has said when they haven't asked for those comments risks being something other than critiquing and can lead to trouble.

And I'm not singling anyone out, as Matt Lust has said. I'm responding to the topic.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Thank you both. Sorry, I got a little hot. I will be better. Promise

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.