Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submitting Prolouges

Author Topic: Submitting Prolouges
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I assume most of you northerners are currently asleep. I'm at work. I' also meant to be marking assignments on Ancient China, but as you can tell am not.

Just have a question, if you have a manuscript with a prolouge do you submit the prolouge as part of your query packaage (and take up precious pages, or just start from Chapter 1? Is it ok to submit from Chapter 1 then when publishing (hopefully) put a prolouge in, seeing this would change the first page impression?

Also if you have a prolouge should that be the first 13 you post, or can you choose?

Just wondering,

Sweet dreams,

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
This is completely off topic but why would we be asleep at 7:45 pm eastern time?
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Fair enough question. Just goes to show why I teach Drama and not Maths. It is 10 am here.

[This message has been edited by Grant John (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I'm concerned, a novel should be able to exist in a complete form without either a prologue or epilogue. Neither are part of the story proper, but are extensions of the world that you are creating, and help with either building history or generating the setting.

So, in my estimation, if you were to submit a few chapters to an agent/publisher, you could include the prologue along with chapters one and two. If you are only submitting one - make it the first chapter. When they ask for a complete, then I would make a point of indicating that there is a prologue.

That's just me, though.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Normally, they ask for chapters one through three in a sub package, so I'd give them what they ask for. But that's easy for me to say since I've never had a prologue.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ink_scribe
Member # 5679

- posted      Profile for ink_scribe           Edit/Delete Post 
Um....I'm of two minds on this.

First of all, it depends on what you have a prologue for.

If the prologue is something necessary to get the first chapter, then I would absolutely include it. But then that begs the question of why you need the prologue in the first place.

(FYI this is the exact quandry I'm facing. I DON'T LIKE EITHER my prologue or my first chapter. If I don't like it, I know there's something wrong with it. Not necessary the rest of it, but I don't think I'm hooking in people fast enough. Too many people are telling me it's taking too long to get into the story. Ask yourself the same.)

If the prologue has nothing necessary to do with the first chapter or the hook, I would leave it out of the query package. If it's otherwise important to the whole book, I would keep it and submit it with any requests you get for the full manuscript. But if it doesn't get tied back in quickly, you risk turning off an agent or an editor by submitting something that isn't cohesive. And they may stop reading before it ties back in.

I've completely rewritten my own prologue twice, and am now considering scrapping it entirely. Writing it helped with learning the backstory of my novel, but I'm not sure it helps a reader enough to keep it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Echo on JeanneT, If they ask for the first three chapters give them that. A prologue isn't a chapter. They won't be mad if after they accept it you put a prologue at the beginning.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is completely off topic but why would we be asleep at 7:45 pm eastern time?

Well, I usually am. I work the night shift. I have to get up at eight to be at work at ten. Really not my idea...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.