Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Trademark Issues in literature

Author Topic: Trademark Issues in literature
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
If one were writing fiction in which a company, say, Universal Studios (theme park) had some role, what must a writer do to avoid offending them (and especially their lawyers) with respect to trademarks and similar matters. (Obviously, slander, libel, threats, inciting riots, and such are a bad idea.)

Some (possibly irrelevant) scenarios:
1) the story has minor references to the company
2) the story is set in the company's campus
3) the story has strong ties to the company but is not set in their campus.

This sort of question does not call for guesswork; only informed answers are valuable. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited August 14, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, most fiction gets around this by having a thinly-veiled fictional version of the company, and OSC says not to worry. As someone with some education in communications law, I agree with OSC and you shouldn't have to worry, although my personal preference is to lean towards the former.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
WouldBe, do a search on "trademark" on this site. This topic has been addressed by an intellectual property attorney.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.