Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » small publishers

Author Topic: small publishers
Bill
Member # 5646

- posted      Profile for Bill   Email Bill         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think about "small publishers" - royalty (not self publish) houses that accept queries straight from authors?

The October 2007 edition of Writers Digest has an article "Keep the Commission" suggesting this as a good option.

For the real reason I ask: I recently received an offer from one. I was preparing to have a professional editor look at my book (call it a safety blanket for a new writer or a wise decision - the editor is good, having worked on multiple best sellers) when I friend emailed his acquisitions editor recommending my book to her. She liked it and a contract should arrive for me to consider in two days. I was planning to have the editor help me polish and make sure it looks like what agents are used to, an educational process for me at least, and then I had planned to query lit agents.

The agency accepts 4% of submissions. They publish in trade paperback, not hardcover or mass market paperback. They put $16k into publicity and ask the author to put in $4k.

So, having no experience at all, I would like to know if you think publishing a first book in a small publisher will sandbag a career or will it be a good way to get a fist book published making it easier to query in the future?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose its worth noting that Tom Clancy got his start with a small publisher.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be really nervous about a publisher asking for $4000.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
That's another thing too (and goes to show I didn't bother to read the entire opening post ) - it's been stated repeatedly everywhere on this site that you should be wary of submissions that require you to pay - it's your product, you're trying to sell it. Also, don't forget the "10% rule" - 10% is all a publishing agent deserves.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Money should always flow to the writer not from.

Edited to add that this includes working with agents. The way it works with agents is that the publisher sends the money to the agent and the after the agent takes his/her cut (it is moving to 15% more and more nowadays, by the way), the agent sends the rest of the money to the writer.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 25, 2007).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill
Member # 5646

Thanks for the information. I hesitate over the $4,000. I think its a potential red flag.

But you think a small publisher, in trade paper instead of hardcover / mass market is worth considering?

(Edited to ask the question.)

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited August 25, 2007).]

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's how my novel is getting published -- small publisher in trade paperback. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, to be honest. I also don't have anything to compare it to as I've never gone with the major publisher. I understand that however you go, there is a huge amount of marketing that is laid on the shoulders of the author. One of the biggest differences between a major publisher and a small one is royalties. Big publishers will pay out royalties in anticipation of sales but realistically, that is money you will probably need to spend on marketing. If you don't get an advance or if you get a small one, you will either have to consider free options or consider dipping into your own pocket.

I say this because the rule of thumb that money flows to the author is a good one, but it kind of leaves this impression that once you sell a book, your work is done and you just let the publisher do the rest. It takes something out of you to sell that book -- time, personal appearances, travel....and I assure you that unless you're John Grisham no publisher will pay for your travel expenses. (They tend to invest money in sure things and wait for you to prove yourself.)

Money flowing TO the author means it does not flow back to the publisher. It does not mean that an author won't end up spending time and money on the marketing of the book. The red flag comes up when a publisher wants you to pay them money. I'm not sure about a publisher setting a price on how much they expect you to spend on marketing...that's strange since there are really so many different plans you can use based on different budgets and books etc. so it does kind of make me wonder, but anyway...I just wanted to lay that out there.

I'm a bit disillusioned by publishing at the moment. Like I said, since I've not done it both ways I can't say whether it's because I went small press or not. Most of my frustration has to do with delays in printing (the book was supposed to have been out half a year ago) and lack of communication with the publisher. I can't think that this has anything to do with the size of the press. I'm also honestly not enjoying the marketing side of this. It takes me away from writing, which is what I love and what I got into this for. Nevertheless, in a few months I will see my book in print and that's something I feel like I can be proud of.

I lacked the confidence to send my manuscript off to big agents and houses the first time. I am hoping to have book two finished by next summer (maybe sooner depending upon how much marketing efforts take me away from it) and when it's done, I'm going to follow some advice that I'm going to give you now: Start at the top and work your way down. It takes forever. (That's another reason I didn't do it.) You can spend years sending your manuscript off to one publisher after another, one agent after another. But still, start at the top and see what happens. Eventually, try a small press. They may not take you either -- it's not like small means indiscriminate. Even a small publisher will usually take less than 5% of the manuscripts they receive. But it's a way to get a book out there and to get a start through a real, honest publisher that can get your book listed with national distributors.

Self publishing, IMHO, is a waste of time. (Won't get into that here because I don't want to bog down the topic, but just thought I'd mention it.)

Anyway, I hope all that helps. I can talk a little more about my experience if you want, but as I cautioned before I've got no way to really compare big vs. small publishers so I can't say if the things I like/don't like have to do with the size or if that's just the way things are.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
It's one thing for them to want you to spend a certain amount of time marketing your own book. Quite another to ask for $4,000. Do you get reports that they're actually spending the $16,000 you published? And if they're spending that much, why do they want money from you?

From what I've read from the blogs of other writers, most of publishing is waiting. It takes a long time to hear anything. I believe the average time from acceptance to actual publishing is about two years.

Christine-tell me where your book is being sold when it comes out and I'll pick up a copy. The premise seemed interesting when I first heard of it, but I'm not that into e-books.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill
Member # 5646

Thanks for the information all, and especially that long reply Christine.

======================
Do you get reports that they're actually spending the $16,000 you published? And if they're spending that much, why do they want money from you?
======================

This is a good question - what do they do for publicity? I am mixed on the $4k - I see an up front cost as a big red flag, but I don't mind spending money for publicity if they put up some too and it is used well. I have a friend who published two books with them and he has been very satisfied. (They sometimes wave it on a first book and always wave it on subsequent books.) I will call and ask the editor after I get the contract.

Oh, and there is no agent which saves a little money and they have a %15 to authors on distribution sales (which they claim is good but I have no idea). That's nice if it sells.

It is funny how you have to a business manager as well as an author...

Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well this model is not entirely unknown in the academic press world.

Editors of textbooks that are designed as readers (ie anthology of previously published works) are often times asked to cough up a bit of money to help secure rights to these previously published works. Of course this is a slightly different because there is a built in audience (students of one's class) and getting a book published is an investment in one's career (tenure considerations).

Now not knowing the history of this particular small publisher, I would be suspicious. If this were me, I would be very direct and ask them what other creative works that this business has published and the number of copies actually sold. I would ask them what bookstores stock their authors and then go find them.

But this is just me.

Small Presses might have to work on a different business model but so do con artists.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-reading this, I also wanted to mention something about promotion of writing in the academic world.

Marketing one's book/self in Academia is seen as a relative no-no, with the big or small label depending on who wrote the book and who's critiquing the self-promotion.

Its not that one should not seek criticism but rather in academia all marketing type promotions are best left eto the "business" people and all scholarly praise such as "authoritative" or "powerful" should by some well placed and well respected colleague.

While this is much more true of textbooks than of actual empirical research, showing off a copy of your own book at a convention or even worse presenting the book at the convention is a rather conspicuous faux pas. (As presentations are meant to be primarily on "new" and cutting edge research and books often consist of years sometimes decades old empirical data).

This isn't to say this is not done and in fact at many of the larger conferences there are invite only panels Called "Author meets Critics" where recent book length research is discussed.

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 27, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GalaxyGal
Member # 4755

- posted      Profile for GalaxyGal   Email GalaxyGal         Edit/Delete Post 
As an unpublished writer, I understand the draw. Luckily, I have the experience of others to help me.

A guy in my writer's group did what you are considering. He paid a few grand out of his own pocket to a small publisher called Tate Publishing.

They were very thorough, working with him, getting the editing just right. A high quality, professional book came out of it. The publisher listed it on their website for around $12.00. This was for a 120 page paperback book, which I thought was an outlandish price. Unless a family member or a friend, who is going to pay that much for a thin paperback book by an unknown author?

I noticed on their website that they say they sell to brick-and-mortar stores, but that was not his experience. They told him they didn't market to stores because his genre was "not their usual market". Publisher's website aside, he had to do all of his own marketing. He works for a newspaper. His name is well-known in these parts, yet self-promotion did not help him come even close to re-couping the costs.

He was satisfied with the physical book and enjoyed his 10-minutes of local fame, but he was not pleased with the marketing and would not go this route again.

If you're looking to get a book out there at any cost, without any concern for financial gain AND if $4,000 means nothing to you, then go for it.

Otherwise, keep your fingers tightly coiled around that $4,000.00.

[This message has been edited by GalaxyGal (edited August 28, 2007).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not terribly inclined to put money into publishing like that---I might start my own press and publish my own book, but I don't think I'd go for handing money over to someone else to do it.

Besides, I'm cheap. The most money I've ever spent at one time was for the downpayment on my house; cars are next in line, and in both cases I looked forward to years of smaller payments. The "four thousand" quoted is just a little under both. Most of my money is tied up in wealth---I've been through some bad times, but I could afford it right now---but I'd rather not. I don't deny myself that much---I must spend several hundred dollars each month on books alone---but somewhere down the line, I'd miss having the four thousand.

I'm more likely to submit to big publishers, and endure their rejections and go unpublished, rather than do that. Which is a slightly different thing.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to bring the subject back to small publishers, if that wouldn't be threadjacking. (I would not even consider paying a publisher, whatever their excuse, but that's me.)

There are small publishers out there who do a good job, and a number of good authors got their start with such publishers, but it worthwhile to check the reputation of any publisher you are considering submitting to. Some do a better job of marketing than others. I'd want to be sure that the publisher showed up at the conventions, marketed to the indies, etc.

Then whether you are going with a big name or a small one, expect to have to do marketing on your own.

By the way I found this really educational, and I'd like to share it.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2007/08/what-works.html

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hookt_Un_Fonix
Member # 4783

- posted      Profile for Hookt_Un_Fonix   Email Hookt_Un_Fonix         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the watch out points. I am okay with getting a book published if it does not cost you a dime. You are offering your time and a labor of love to them. The reason that a publisher should have a low acceptance rate is because they know if they sign you, they are incurring the initial financial risk. With that in mind that look at your work as an investment.

Beware if they ask you for any money, regardless of the guise in which they ask for it. Also buy a book form them, see how hard it is to get it. Look at the availability, ease of ordering, and how many stores it is in, and more importantly look the book you order over. Is this how you want your work to represented. If you are okay with it, and it feel comfortable then sign. The fact you are asking these questions shows you have doubts, and you should always trust your instinct in matters of trust.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.