Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » People Do Notice

Author Topic: People Do Notice
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across this review by Jon L. Breen in last week's print issue The Weekly Standard, covering three new thrillers. One paragraph caught my eye, dealing with The War Against Miss Winter, by Kathryn Miller Haines. The book is set in 1943 New York. I'll quote the relevant paragraph. (I'd post a link, but their archive is, I gather, a subscription service.)

quote:
Haines is nearly note-perfect most of the way in capturing the home-front mood and lifestyle, but trips up on pronouns that are politically correct by current standards but off-base historically. No proper writer in 1943 would have written "a participant places their ego" rather than "his ego," and I doubt a theatrical woman of the time would have said, "You don't drag an actor through hell without her ass getting singed" (all italics mine).

It's a matter of concern for me, 'cause the novel I've been working on this last year is ostensibly set in 1947, and my rough draft is just studded with notes-to-myself, about how the characters say, what they do, what sort of stuff is available to them, the usual kind. I've done precious little research, and know I need more when the time comes.

It's all the kind of stuff I've spoken of elsewhere, of running across something in a book, usually a mistake, that stops things dead for me.

What do you think?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on your audience. I believe that the majority of readers today would not have noticed the above "problems," the critic listed. Of course a critic would, because he's looking for them. Someone who lived in the era listed, or someone who studied extensive history also might have the same nit. But in total that's a very small fraction of the reading population (I think) so, effectively, I think those kinds of errors won't derail your story at all.

Now a question of being true to your setting and lifestyle, that is an issue of pretty great importance. It might be helpful to get a few films that depict that era. They (probably) won't be perfect, but they'll give you a flavor for it. As for the politically-correct nits, I doubt most readers will be put off that your characters are too progressive and politically correct. And maybe a few (without realizing your intentions to be true to the era) will be annoyed that you aren't politically correct enough. And perhaps that second sample is greater than the first, I'm not sure.

Basically my advice is to not sweat the small stuff so you can focus on getting your setting and culture spot on.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Robert I definitely know how you feel. Being a person of middle age, I find that the English I was taught in school is clearly not the same English being taught now. Not that it's wrong by any means, but what is considered proper usage has changed. I'm sure many of the younger writers here will see the same through their own lives.

One of the big things that trip me up is seeing the pronoun "she" used in non-gender based writing. For example, If I were to read the following in a manual, it would just plain sound wrong to me, but probably not for many younger people:

A driver in the USA should always make sure her car is on the right hand side of the road.

I was taught that the non-gender pronoun in this case would always be "his", and never "her". Always the male pronoun, never the female pronoun. Now they seem interchangable so much that I see authors mixing up the usage even in the same paragraph. That really throws me.

As to what this means for writing, I think you've got a tough choice to make. If you write what is proper usage for today's English, then you will run across reviewers like the above one who say the language is wrong. If you write correct for the acceptable method for the time period of the story, you might find the average reader turned off because of the improper use that, like for me, just sounds wrong.

So basically, you're always going to be wrong according to somebody. If it was me, I think I'd rather just write the story, then ask a representative number of readers after they'd read it, if they found the language appropriate. Then you could always make any necessary adjustments. After all, you're never going to please everybody.

As a final note, I've always written the way I've been taught, even though it's out of date, and so far nobody has ever commented on it. Considering that, it might not be as major of a problem as you think.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMatthewWare
Member # 4831

- posted      Profile for RMatthewWare   Email RMatthewWare         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people wouldn't notice or care. Just write it.
Posts: 657 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A driver in the USA should always make sure her car is on the right hand side of the road.

I was taught that the non-gender pronoun in this case would always be "his", and never "her". Always the male pronoun, never the female pronoun. Now they seem interchangable so much that I see authors mixing up the usage even in the same paragraph. That really throws me.

The fact is that when most people see the pronoun "he" they do not think it is non-gender. Even in describing this practice, you commented: "Always the male pronoun, never the female pronoun."

He is a male pronoun and readers know it. The idea that it was non-gender was always a thinly veiled pretense. When people see the pronoun he, they assume and always did assume that you mean a male. Mixing male and female pronouns is one way, albiet a clumsy one, that people try to get around this fact.

This is true of a lot of nouns too. I ran into a rather odd instance in a novel. I like to use specific nouns as much as possible, so I used the term "longbowmen" about archers who used longbows. Since it was already clearly established that some of the fighters were female, I really thought people would take it as a gender-neutral term. Nope!

Readers immediately said that they were men and asked how the leader could be female! So, much to my annoyance, since archer can mean a wide variety of types of bows, I ended up using the term. (I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry at that point.)

The fact is that in English there are no good - that is to say widely accepted - non-gender specific pronouns. It can be a bit of a pain in the ass for writers.

From your point of view, Robert, I would say it matters more that you are happy with your storytelling, and that your readers understand your story, than that you please some nitpicking critic, at any rate. My own opinion obviously.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would worry more if an editor mentioned it.
Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been reading two novels set in the early 1900s on Britain's steam railways, 'The Necropolis Railway' and 'The Blackpool Highflyer' by Andrew Martin. One of the joys of these books is how Martin recreates the language of the times, not just words, but phrases and nuances and old-fashioned English ways of thinking. Not only are we never jerked out of the story with a modern phrase, we get a feeling for how it must have been in those days.

Language is more than words, it captures how we are, what we're like, how we think and feel.

Of course there are limits to how far one can take this. I sometimes wondered, reading Martin's books, whether my kids would understand some of the phrases. I could, because my parents had used them, but now they have fallen into disuse. (The words, not my parents. Actually, them too but -- oh, never mind.) For example, we no longer refer to people as 'a good sort.' Nor do we go out for a 'knife and fork dinner.' -- Well we do, but we don't call it that any more.

So I'd say that if you're capable of recreating the language of the time, go for it. It will add depth, as long as it isn't so obscure to get in the way of understanding the story.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm inclined to think it's important to try to get every period-piece detail right. We're all trying to create a suspension of disbelief, even those writing "mundane" work, to transport the reader into an imaginary world. If the reader is jerked out by an error, whether factual or just in the turn of a phrase, that writer has let that reader down.

Here's an example. A recent biography of Groucho Marx mentions the 1950s quiz show scandals---but gives the wrong name for the quiz show Charles Van Doren was on. {"Twenty One," not "The $64,000 Question.) It seems an easily checked fact, but obviously it wasn't---the edition I have is the paperback.

Here's another. Another recently published bestselling biography of Benjamin Franklin mentions him playing with or doing scientific research with helium. Helium wasn't discovered until about sixty years after Franklin's death.

As for turns of phrase...well, I once watched part of a movie ostensibly set in 1920s or '30s New York. (It was "Harlem Nights," I think, and it's been twenty years, so I don't remember the exact way things fell out.) The actors talked a good bit of 1980s phrasing---I watched a few minutes, then turned it out forever.

Wouldn't it bother you? If not, why not?

One other thing that bothers me: the book above, and, when you get down to it, practically everything I read that this happens in, is in published work. The publishers may have no standards...but I do.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I'm inclined to think it's important to try to get every period-piece detail right.
And does that include routinely referring to people of color as "darkies" or even what are now considered ruder phrases?

Sorry to disagree, but there are things that were said in some earlier eras that simply would not be acceptable now no matter how much you want to "recreate" the era--in my opinion.

Avoiding current phrasing is one thing, but that isn't what he was asking. In fact, the reason for that pronouns became an issue is that of offensive and/or exclusionary speech. As in the example I mentioned above--the is fact that even polite people referred to those of color by phrases that are now considered at the least rude if not outright racist, and the same can be said of other groups such as jews and women. And this was considered perfectly ACCEPTIBLE. It isn't now.

The fact is that times have changed and reader expectations as well as what many readers will accept have changed.

You might want to go ahead and use those, but you will run into objections from a lot of readers and very possibly from editors, so I'd have very serious second thoughts. It's a fine line and one I'd tread (and have at times in my own writing) very carefully.

We're not talking about whether or not to use computer slang here, after all, but a much more serious issue.

Now if we're simply talking about using older forms of pronouns, that's a bit less of an issue (for me anyway). I'd do what you feel comfortable with. The chances that your normal reader will object to what you choose are pretty darn slim if you have a good story.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 09, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And does that include routinely referring to people of color as "darkies" or even what are now considered ruder phrases?

Absolutely, unless there's a specific reason not to. And if race is important to the story, then it's even more important to be authentic.

The choice of narrator matters quite a bit, of course, and you don't need to make the narrator call a black person a darkie or a nigger. But the narrator could call him a negro or a colored person, even though those are considered offensive now, because they weren't considered offensive back then. Of course, characters should call him by the even more offensive terms if that fits the time and the story.

This isn't a bad thing for blacks. (I'm avoiding "African American" because I dislike the locution and because I'm not just talking about American blacks.) On the contrary, I think we would be doing a disservice to blacks if we avoided representing how they were treated. You make it harder to understand how astonishing the lives of people like Booker T. Washington and Frederick Douglass were. (Or later blacks, for that matter. Congressman Dyer of St. Louis submitted an anti-lynching bill that was defeated by the threat of filibuster in 1922. At least seventeen black Americans were lynched in 1925. I was shocked to learn how long lynchings went on in America.) Knowing that these great men were called nigger all their lives, and that they weren't bowed by it, makes them that much more impressive to me; thus I think that dealing with the issue directly is beneficial even if the story isn't about race.

You make decisions based on what you're trying to accomplish, of course, and you may decide that you don't want to confront the reader with such things because other aspects of the story are more important. But if you're doing a period piece, authenticity counts.

Robert, to answer your question (and I'm no longer limiting myself to race), I often notice that kind of thing, and when it happens, it bothers me. I accept "actor / her" and "the child will get their cup" for modern writing, but not for period pieces. It breaks the illusion for me; it feels like the author is only letting me pretend I'm in the period, without letting me actually go there. It's worst in dialogue, more forgivable in narration.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely agree with Oliver here. To make all the characters in period pieces speak in modern politically-correct terms is to do a disservice to those who had to suffer through prejudice in that era. However, I also think that the author should be aware of the negativity of certain words and the effect they might have on the reader. In other words, I'd say to avoid them if they are unnecessary to the story or milieu.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynda
Member # 3574

- posted      Profile for Lynda   Email Lynda         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - I think the suggestion to watch movies from that era is your best bet. If I'm reading something set in the 1940's, I expect it to sound like Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn and others of that era. If it doesn't sound like something Bogey would say (if your character's a "tough guy" like those he played so often), it isn't authentic and your readers will notice (especially those of us who are middle-aged). Political correctness can hurt your story because it will through people out of the story who are experienced, well-read enough, or film buffs enough to recognize dialog that doesn't ring true to the era.

As for what to say about black people - "Negro" was the proper term then, although "colored people" was also acceptable in polite society. And if all these details make it too hard to write your story, set it on another planet or in another era to avoid the problem. Just my two knuts worth.

Lynda

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Ro No, I'm pleased that you respect the 1040s era and the authentic language used. I was there in 1947 and lived it, phrases used and concerns of the people were quite different. And the things that were important or fearful were also different.
I might add that the wonderful future we all dreamed of (meaning today) really sucks.
Route your 1947 story by me and I will give it an authenticity check.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, that is very much a matter of opinion on whether it "sucks" now as opposed to them. I personally wouldn't have found a concentration camp, a life in constant danger of lynching, a war during which millions died, signs saying "jews not welcome," or any number of other realities of the time all that wonderful.

Funny how the past looks better looking back than it does living it.

Edit: As far the topic, I think it is a judgment call on the part of the author. I've used "prejudcied" speech in stories, but it does have to be handled very carefully. The fact that almost everyone was prejudiced and it was so widely accepted makes writing about that period difficult. I don't think it should be white washed but you have to accept that at the same time modern readers may find period attitudes offensive. It's a balancing act.

The past wasn't always all that wonderful. If you present the '40s as a utopia (which you didn't say you were, just a comment in view of the discussion), you're not representing it truthfully.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 10, 2007).]

lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
I might add that the wonderful future we all dreamed of (meaning today) really sucks.

I disagree--I'm here, now. Therefore, it is inherently better than in 1947.

Actually, I came her to note that OSC used "the N- word" in Magic Street, even though he normally wouldn't in other writing or speech. It fit the culture, so he used it. I felt he represented the neighborhood quite well, too. However, he didn't throw it into every other sentence. He used it enough to add a feel of authenticity, but not to much it belabored the point. At least, that was how I saw it.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Alas, it's nowheres near ready---it's one of those things where I wandered all over while writing it, having no fixed plan, and plan to compress it in the rewrite---and once I decide on that and do it, it'll be ready. And hopefully in the time between now and then, I'll do more research.

Besides, it's not even finished...

Strangely enough, the issue of what to call certain people or groups of people does come up, but so far only in passing. I may take it out, leave it, or even expand it.

But this inadvertently hits another button on my jukebox. I just got this DVD anthology of early Max Fleischer "Popeye" cartoons. There's a disclaimer at the beginning, discussing how certain caracatures of an ethnic type were wrong then and wrong now, but it'd be a disservice to edit them out. (I paraphrase here.)

But it wasn't wrong to express things that way back then---if it had been, surely Fleischer and company wouldn't have done it, and Paramount wouldn't have put the cartoons out back then even if the animators had turned one in with this "let's be nasty" attitude. Seems to me, it's wrong to say otherwise, even if times have changed.

(Still, they're putting them out, at least. A while back, the Cartoon Network ran something advertized as the complete run of all the Warner Bros. cartoons---omitting about a dozen for these dreaded "racial stereotypes" and editing many others. (There were gags in them, some of them really funny, that I didn't find out about until I was an adult---they were always cut.))

There's a lot of historical commentary along the lines of, "I find this Historical Figure wanting, in that he wasn't as advanced as we are now in certain ways." Certain Founding Fathers didn't free their slaves. These Generals were butchers plain and simple. And so on, and so forth. I find the argument somewhat condescending---as well as the historians.

LordPoochie
Member # 6174

- posted      Profile for LordPoochie   Email LordPoochie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Robert - I think the suggestion to watch movies from that era is your best bet. If I'm reading something set in the 1940's, I expect it to sound like Humphrey Bogart, Spencer Tracy, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn and others of that era. If it doesn't sound like something Bogey would say (if your character's a "tough guy" like those he played so often), it isn't authentic and your readers will notice (especially those of us who are middle-aged). Political correctness can hurt your story because it will through people out of the story who are experienced, well-read enough, or film buffs enough to recognize dialog that doesn't ring true to the era.

Hmm, I don't know. I would be worried that the writing might reflect 1940's Hollywood more than it would the 1940's. Bogart, Hepburn and others are very specific people who aren't necessarily representative of their era.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a disclaimer at the beginning, discussing how certain caracatures of an ethnic type were wrong then and wrong now, but it'd be a disservice to edit them out. (I paraphrase here.)

It's interesting, isn't it? It's like we're being forced to choose between hating the flaws of our ancestors on the one hand, and thinking that our modern sensibilities are wrong on the other.

Both choices are probably wrong, truth be told. We probably have something to learn from the racial particularism of our predecessors -- white, black, and otherwise. At the same time, the application of racial consciousness of our predecessors was often flawed, sometimes horrifically so. But we see, say, black solidarity as a good thing (and I think it is at least some of the time), while telling ourselves that comparable white solidarity would be "racist" (which it also is at least some of the time). It seems to me that we must be missing something; the right balance probably continues to elude us.

It seems to me that a book that includes these elements would be very interesting, and just about the only place you can make people think closely about the issues is probably in historical fiction. Only then can you get all perspectives in your head, as it were, and hash out what they all mean.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
It seems to me that we must be missing something; the right balance probably continues to elude us.

I think that comes in part from situations described in the original post. Sometimes, it seems we have to over-react to racism in order to avoid a lawsuit.

The statement that it is wrong now and back then does that. Saying it is wrong now might be construed, legally, as condoning it back then. The studio adopts a moral absolutism stance: wrong is wrong, regardless of perception, culture or period.

If no one ever sued unless they felt genuine, deep offense, it might not be so bad. Who knows--that's my feeling, though.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I know from personal experience that I strongly and vehemently object to being labeled a racist or sexists because I find certain kinds of humor funny---especially when it's done by those I don't respect for other reasons, none of which have to do with such trivial factors as skin color or gender.

The thing is, the PC culture having "decided" that wrong is wrong, doesn't exclude things ever changing back or changing further. And a lot of what the PC police permit seems as obnoxious as much of what they've forbidden.

Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if other reviews by the same critic would reveal how fragile his enjoyment of life is.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.