Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Religion and other subjects in WotF

Author Topic: Religion and other subjects in WotF
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I had an interesting conversation with someone who commented that there is a strong preference in WotF for stories with a religious theme. I was rather curious if others felt the same. I have also always assumed that stories with strong female characters would be at least at somewhat a disadvantage--or maybe even extremely unlikely to win. But I haven't made a study of the winners, although I've read a few of them. Just curious if anyone has noticed any particular pattern, not for my own benefit but just out of curiosity.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't heard one way or another. Themes from a particular religion? Or just "religious" in general, because that could mean just about anything. And why do you think stories with strong female characters might be less likely to win?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was once told by Damon Knight that a story I had written with a strong female lead character had absolutely no chance of selling in the sf market. That was quite a few years ago, and there are obvious exceptions now, but Ursula LeGuin has noted that, even with a large number of female writers, stories with male lead characters tend to outsell stories with female characters about ten to one.

Stories with religious themes are often award winners. Don't know about WotF in particular.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since I'm the one JeanneT had the discussion with, I guess I should comment. I don't know that I would really characterize it as a preference, as lots of other types of stories win, but it is a plus. In general, I think anything that is risky or controvercial and presented well in contests like WOTF can be considered plusses, and will help a story gain attention.

In a contest like WOTF that has around 2,500 entries a quarter, anything and everything that helps a story stand out is an advantage. The same applies for submissions to magazines, except often these same kinds of things can keep a story from getting published. Strong religious undertones are often considered preachy and alienating by editors. But different and unusual, that can work for magazines. You've just got to pick and choose your subjects based upon the market they are intended for.

[This message has been edited by luapc (edited September 15, 2007).]

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Male character stories are always easier to sell than female, annepin, and certain WotF judges are well known for their dislike of "modern wimmin" which I think you can apply to any strong female main character. They might not mind one that has hysterics in a tight situation.

Certainly stories with female leads are easier to sell than they used to be even ten years ago when, as an example, Elizabeth Moon's agent apparently had one heck of a time selling Deed of Paksenarrion. (I have always been amused at the story that the publisher who bought it was insistent that a woman couldn't possibly understand military theory but then backed down when he found out that she is an ex-marine) But the expectation is still that the female will be dragged along as the weepy love interest.

I am happy to say it has gone beyond being an "exception" for a SF main character to be female. But it's still a bit of an unhill battle.

Personally I simply have no interest in writing religious themes, although that doesn't mean that I object to reading them. Many books, including LotR, have them. I was surprised at luapc's comment that religious themed stories did better and it made me curious.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 15, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's still a truism that if you want to sell to young readers, you will do better to have a boy as the main character than you will to have a girl, because while girls will read stories with boys as the main characters, boys do not tend to read stories with girls as the main characters.

I suspect that adult readers may not be too different, but it depends on the genre/marketing category, too.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Ah I misread what you said. So I agree. They don't tend to, but there are some rather well-known exceptions, too.

Anyway, no one ever said life was fair did they?

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading a blurb by Kathy Wentworth somewhere, can't provide or locate the exact quote, but, I believe, she mentioned that she didn't get enough stories dealing with religion. Of course, most likely, she did not meaning a preachy story, or one that advocates a religion or nonreligion. But that since religion is an aspect of life, it's something that SF&F needs to address more often.

I read Volume 22 and half the stories seemed to deal with religion. The Sword From the Sea dealt with an cruel Sea God. On the Mount dealt with seeking and stopping posthumans who play God. At the Gate of God dealt with a Catholic priest and a Muslum cleric teaming together to stop an experiment from creating another Big Bang (lots of Tower of Babel references). Tongues dealt with a human inflitrating an alien civilization to understand thier religion. Broken Stones (if I remember) dealt with the clash of an alien civilization and its Muslum occupiers.

I don't think WOTF is biased against strong female characters at all. After all, a female is the first reader! And if you read Volume 22, you'll find many female viewpoint characters. The Sword From the Sea. Schroedinger's Hummingbird. Broken Stones. The Bone Fisher's Apprentice. On the Mount alternated between male and female viewpoint characters.

It's not likely that the inclusion or exclusion of religion themes, or the predomination of male or female characters matter to WOTF as much as writing a good original SF&F story period.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 15, 2007).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Having a female PoV character does not mean that the female is either the main character or a strong character.

The first reader is female, but that says nothing about the other judges, certain ones of whom have made their opinions well known. Of the, I believe, 20 judges, 3 are women. However, although I have read some winners, I haven't read enough of them to be able to say one way or the other. I have felt there was a dearth of strong female characters--the females seemed pretty wimpy, but as I said I haven't read all of them.

Half of them being religious is a pretty strong preference in my opinion. So you can look at it as having a religiously based story gives you a big advantage or not having one puts you at something of a disadvantage--or having an anti-religious story probably totally puts you out of the running. It may be something good for people who really want to win it to know the best way to win. So it might be worthwhile to write a story about religion.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the female POV's in Volume 22 seemed to be main characters, not Watson-like observers to a Holmes. Of course, strength comes in many forms. Kathy Wentworth has said that a passive character would definitly get the story knocked out of the running. So to me, the characters are strong, in that they drive the story, not letting events drive them.

If there is a slight bias, it's in the selection of science fiction over fantasy...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read more than a few of the collections, but...well, if the winners had something in common, well, again...it's one more thing to disturb me about the whole contest.

Most of my stories have women in the lead parts. Not that they're exactly your standard-issue strong women. Probably they're as weak-willed as I am. And maybe they might as well be male. Maybe I should reconsider.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Kathy Wentworth has said that a passive character would definitly get the story knocked out of the running.

What defines a passive character?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
An active character does something, a passive character things happen to.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
What if the change in the character is actually doing something? Would that be considered passive, since there is passive tendencies at the start?

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

You ask a very hard question. Editors say they want characters who change during the story, but if your character starts out passive, they are apt to stop reading, and miss the great moment where the character says, "Enough!" and pulls out his Uzi.

If your character starts out passive, you have to work very hard to make him sympathetic in some way. For example, his foster parents might make him live in a closet under the stairs.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
If there is a slight bias, it's in the selection of science fiction over fantasy...
Interesting. Probably if someone is serious about winning, studying the winners before writing is a good idea.
quote:
Kathy Wentworth has said that a passive character would definitly get the story knocked out of the running.

Being passive is perfectly reasonable in a PoV character that is not the main character or one that is put in to be nothing more than a love-interest. I doubt that being passive in a secondary character would disqualify the story if the main character is active.

Watson was mostly passive and this was perfectly appropriate for his character. He was there to observe and tell the story, which would not have been appropriatedly told by Holmes, as an example.

I don't believe that it would at all get a story disqualified to have a passive PoV character that wasn't the main character or for that matter to have secondary characters who are passive, and I'm afraid I find it hard to believe that she said such a thing would.

Robert, I don't know that there is a disadvantage to strong female characters. It was a feeling I got from reading a few winners and from knowing the stated opinions of a couple of judges, but I hadn't read enough of them to be able to say that for a fact. I didn't mean to give the impression that I had.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 16, 2007).]

JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
So we're back to class? In school it was as important to hit the teacher's prejudice as it was to get the grammar right and express thoughts clearly. At least we could discern the teacher's prejudice from the lectures.

This approach to WotF has a writer guessing the prejudice of ALL the judges. Even when there are statements we could dig out, I suspect they're contradictory. It's nearly impossible to please so many creative people on such subjective terms. My point, and opinion, is: Why bother?

I expect to get to a WotF entry perhaps in the next year. I intend to write about a strong, active character, probably female, because that's the type of character I like and can build a connection to for a reader. I'll try to do a good job of the writing and take my chances with the strong woman and only the most subtle religious or political theme, if any.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

Jeff, while this may seem like a pointless exercise from an outward view of winning the contest, I think it's very relevant. One of the things that new writers have difficulty in realizing, is that writing is a business, plain and simple, no matter how we might want to fight the idea.

WOTF was set up by L. Ron Hubbard, one of the most prolific and successful writers in the field. If you've ever read the things he's written about how to write, you soon see that to him, the business of writing trumped even the quality of the story. While I don't agree with that, it has its lessons to be learned.

While WOTF is not buying the stories in the same sense as a magazine, they are following the same process with the same result. While magazines have a slush editor to get through, WOTF has its coordinating judge, Kathy Wentworth. And just like with a magazine, as unpublished authors, you have to get past the prejudices and preferences of that first reader, as well as meet the requirements of the publication. Only after that do the other judges even enter into the equation. Only eight get past Kathy Wentworth as finalists and on to the other judges out of about 2,500 in a quarter.

That said, I think that the best thing to do for the contest is not to write necessarily by a formula, but to write a good, entertaining, and thoughtful story. Doing that is the best solution to meeting any first reader's standards.

As a final note, I really don't care for L. Ron Hubbard's books, except for Battlefield Earth, which I loved. While I can appreciate his constant analyzing to get a sale, I really don't suggest adhering to such a boring and uncreative approach, but to get published, a writer has to consider it to a degree. It is good to remember too, that he was writing in an era when magazines had readerships in the millions instead of the thousands. Things have changed.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I can't really frame my thoughts right now due to the news in the other thread...

I would like to say first of all, I might unintentionally misremember(memory is a malleable thing) and sometimes be flat out wrong(in the abundace of many words there is transgression), but I won't intentionally deceive.

The blurbs I can find right now (through the notes from WOTF attendee Eric James Stone) say: Avoid Passive Characters. I know that Kathy Wentworth has elaborated a little in the past on the sff.net WOTF log, and certainly the question can be posed to her for clarification there.

Of course, those three words leave room to many interpretions. Evidently, it would apply to the main characters and usually the viewpoint character is a main character. I can't think of an instance in Volume 22 where this was not the case, though it's been many months since I've finished reading it. It's very hard for aspiring writers to pull off.

Kathy has said that a child as the main character isn't such a good idea (not in those exact words, of course). She said that children aren't always free to act in our society and tend to be passive characters. Of course, all the main charcters in Games On A Children's Ward are children--and very proactive in thier domain.

Personally, I take it in baby steps. If I make it past Kathy, I'll be happy. Back in April, I almost did--almost. Once I'm good enough to do that, then I'll worry about the other judges.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, I'm sending in what I consider to be my own best short story. Whether it wins anything or gets past Kathy is anyone's guess. And whether it does or not, I certainly won't blame it on prejudice. It was something that came up in discussing a crit with luapc that made me curious as well as making me think about somethig I had already considered about my own characters. I have always known that my tendancy to write about female main characters was at least somewhat a disadvantage in sales.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with aiming your writing at a particular audience. Authors do it all the time. Knowing that judges have a preference for stories with some degree of a religious theme or certain types of main characters could be something to take into consideration in deciding what to enter or what to write to enter, and I don't see anything at all wrong with that.

Judges are human, just as editors and publishers are. They have preferences and bring their own life assumptions to what they do just as I do to what I write. I might not agree with those, but I can't blame them for doing it. In fact, they should just as I should. Otherwise we aren't being true to our own muse--or whatever you want to call it.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 17, 2007).]

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
My story in WOTF was religious--only in the sense that it had gods in it and a priest, not in the sense of being preachy. But of course it's set during Aztec times, and not including the religion would really have been inaccurate.

I've read volume 23--and I think only two of the stories have a strong female protag. Many of them have strong female secondary characters, though. I tend to write a lot of stories with a female protagonists--but the further in the past I set the story, the more likely it is the protagonist will be male (for the same reason Kathy Wentworth mentioned about children--women in medieval times had less freedom and power than men and have thus more chance to be acted upon rather than act).

What I've noticed about WOTF is not so much that they like religion as they like strong character-based stories (based on what I've read of both mags, I'd say what they're looking for is similar to what Baen's Universe is looking for).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
(for the same reason Kathy Wentworth mentioned about children--women in medieval times had less freedom and power than men and have thus more chance to be acted upon rather than act).

Okay, this is what confuses me... we aren't writing about Medieval times, we're writing about speculative times. We can use any paradigm we wish, and yet the default seems to be Medieval Europe for fantasy. I find this frustrating.

Edited to say: I'm not trying to point the finger at you, Silver3. It's a prevalent attitude, and what you said just triggered my thought.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 17, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

quote:
My story in WOTF was religious--only in the sense that it had gods in it and a priest, not in the sense of being preachy. But of course it's set during Aztec times, and not including the religion would really have been inaccurate.

For me, fantasy stories are filled with gods and priests and such, so I have never considered writing that into a fantasy story being religious. My story that JeanneT is referring to at the beginning of this thread, is similar to what Silver3 is referring to, as it's based on Norse Gods and those that serve them. A kind of alternate story on the standard legends and myths.

What confuses me on the issue of religion in fiction is how it can be interpreted so differently by different people. Even if a story has no religious connotations in the author's view, it can often be mistaken that way by readers. Like a lot of things, I guess the only answer is to write it, then give it readers and see what they say.

As far as female protags, I have to admit that female protags have never felt as real to me as male ones. Part of the reason for that is that I am male and grew up when acceptable non-gender pronouns were always male, never female. It was also a time when I read mostly science fiction, and it was extremely rare to see a female main character, as almost every writier was male, and wrote male protags.

But the market has changed, especially in fantasy. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think that today there are more female readers of fantasy than males. That being the case, it would be foolish to forget about the possible majority of readers of a genre.

On that line, I have to say I agree with Kathleen too. Female readers accept male or female protags easily, while male readers have a harder time with female protags. Either way, female or male, I think writing a great story eliminates all concerns.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
for the same reason Kathy Wentworth mentioned about children--women in medieval times had less freedom and power than men and have thus more chance to be acted upon rather than act).

You may write about real life medieval times. I don't. Most of us don't, I rather suspect. If you carry over women having less freedom and power than men into a speculative world, it's because you choose to, not because you have to.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 17, 2007).]

Silver3
Member # 2174

Just to clarify: I write a lot of historical fantasy, so accuracy is paramount for me. (and sadly, lack of women's freedom didn't stop when the Middle Ages ended--it went on at least until the middle of the 20th Century, and still goes on in some modern-day countries).

I was just explaining how it worked out for me, not trying to generalise what I was doing to everyone else.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, you won't get any argument from the there, Silver3.

And, of course, you're right that historical fiction is another matter. I hate it when someone writes historical fiction in which they pretend that women had any freedom.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Recently, on a podcast about WOTF, Kathy mentioned passive characters. Perhaps it'll give some insight. Her interview is the second to last:

http://www.adventuresinscifipublishing.blogspot.com/

JeanneT
Member # 5709

Well, I never did find her on the menu. *shrug* I didn't care to listen to the whole thing considering my extreme dislike of podcasts. Sorry.

I probably am the worst person to defend passive characters considering that I almost never write them even as secondary characters, but I can see all kinds of reasons for a secondary or tertiary character to be passive and can't imagine that having a secondary or tertiary character be passive would be a reason for disqualification of an entry. But hey, who knows.

As whether gender makes a difference or not, it might be interesting to compare the number of female winners to the number of male winners. The entries are judged without names, but do you suppose female entrants are more likely to make an entry with a STRONG female MC? I find the percentage to be interesting. I'm sure there is no way to confirm whether the percentage of female winners reflects the percentage of female entrants, but I will have to say I personally rather doubt it. Oh well, such is life.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 18, 2007).]

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Yes, I doubt she means minor characters.

It's the first podcast I've ever downloaded. It is one entire block, but I listened to it while I was doing the dishes and sweeping the floor, and it made the time go by.

I think Volume 23 comes out today. I'm going to hold off on reading it for a few days until I send my story out for Q4. If I get to reading, I can easily get intimidated by the quality of writing and chicken out.

BTW, the Q207 winners (first, second, and third placers) are all women...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 18, 2007).]

JeanneT
Member # 5709

The winner lists I have looked at didn't include 2007 and as you can guess from my comments were heavily tilted toward the male. But hopefully I'm totally wrong in my suspicion in their preferences. I've run into this enough to be suspicious. As someone pointed out earlier, there was a time not all that many years ago when a fantasy or science fiction work with a female MC would simply not be published or would be such an exception that it proved the rule. This has changed a lot over time, but remnants of it do remain. Hopefully, not in WotF and, believe me, I'm willing to be wrong.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

I would think that the SF&F genre is more open minded than most. But then I do tend to mistakenly use myself for a measuring stick for other people. I've never cared about the gender of the writer or the gender of the characters when selecting a book--I don't think it's ever come up into my thoughts. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Of course, we might be able to gauge the percentage the genders of the winners by name(though some of the names are initialized and thus ambiguous), but without knowing the gender percentage going into the contest there is no way of measuring bias.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 18, 2007).]

annepin
Member # 5952

quote:
What if the change in the character is actually doing something? Would that be considered passive, since there is passive tendencies at the start?

In this case, the character would be considered passive before the change, then active later.

In a way, this is the classic hero myth--the hero goes about his or her daily life, essentially as a passive character, and then there's the call to action, which makes the hero kick into active gear. The trick is, the call to action usually happens rather early on, making the character active early on. Think Star Wars, when Luke's aunt and uncle are killed. He's essentially passive until that point (he might even be passive later--the details of the plot are escaping me...)

I think passive characters can work. To me, making them sympathetic is not the problem, though it can help if they're underdogs (HP). I think they have to interesting, though--either they have some deep insight, or a unique twist on the world. I'm thinking of the two main characters in Arslan, who aren't entirely passive, but certainly go a long time without doing much. I think often books with passive characters have protagonists who aren't the pov character (Arslan, again, and The Great Gatsby, All the King's Men... Gosh, in fact, I think I might read quite a few of these!

Silver3
Member # 2174

We had 3 female winners in 2006; 2005 also had 3;3004 had 2.

Of the three females in 2007: I wrote a male-protag adventure (albeit with a strong supporting female character); Andrea Kail also wrote a male protag; and Kim Zimring wrote a male narrator but named her story after his girlfriend, who turns out to be very important in the plot.
But two of the guys wrote stories with female protagonists.

luapc
Member # 2878

It is interesting that most of the finalists are male, but it could be misleading. The reason is that there are no figures for the stories submitted by males and females. This ratio of roughly 9 out of 12 finalists is 75%, but would not be at all out of line if the entry rate of male to female authors was the same. I'm not saying it is, I'm just pointing that out.
Silver3
Member # 2174

Interestingly, Q3 2007 had 3 female winners. (and I know one of the other finalists was a woman).
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I bet I could bend the statistics to suggest that WotF favors brown-haired writers. But I don't think it'd be especially meaningful...

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited September 18, 2007).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I is interesting that most of the finalists are male, but it could be misleading. The reason is that there are no figures for the stories submitted by males and females. This ratio of roughly 9 out of 12 finalists is 75%, but would not be at all out of line if the entry rate of male to female authors was the same. I'm not saying it is, I'm just pointing that out.
You'd be right IF 75% of the entrants are male. Now how likely is that? Not very, but still possible. You are also correct that there is no way to know, since they certainly aren't going to say the percentage of male to female entrants. So it ends up being rather interesting speculation.

Edit: In considering this, I was amused to realize that in the story I just entered, it would be a toss-up who is the protag. The PoV character is female, but you could make an argument that the male is the protag-- He is certainly at least as strong and active a character. *shrug*

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 19, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.