Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I need a book

Author Topic: I need a book
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to come right out and say it: grammar and I just don't get along. I only passed English in High School and College because I am a good reader and writer. Had the grades been grammer based, I would have failed for sure.
And its a shame, really, because I realize that a grasp of grammar is pretty essential if you want to be a writer.

So, I am mending my wicked ways, and I am going to read a grammer book. But, I want to get the best, most comprehensive, and if possible, most relevent grammer book for a writer.
Any suggestions?
And please, don't recommend that I take a class. I am really only looking for the magical, got-it-all grammer book. Help!

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Strunk and White's Elements of Style is the classic, and perhaps definitive, reference.

I should also add it's happily compact!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 26, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, The Blue Book is free, online, easy to understand, and more comprehensive than Elements of Style when it comes to grammar and punctuation:

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation at http://www.grammarbook.com/english_rules.asp .

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited September 26, 2007).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King's On Writing has a brief grammar section that I found useful. Not for specific information, but general rules to be successful. He also suggests Strunk & White, as do I.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I would also point out that your grammar in this post is flawless, so you are not nearly as bad as you think. You should see my student's papers!
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to consider 'The Economist Style Guide'. It was originally written for journalists who write 'The Economist' and encourages a style of English that works without misunderstanding for an international audience.

It includes sections on grammar, punctuation, English usage and (some of) the differences between American and British English.

It has an amusing, accessible style. For example, it advises that 'to never split an infinitive is divine.'

It's bigger than Strunk and White, but not much, and a lot slimmer than the Chicago Manual of Style.

Just 2c,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
"You should see my student's papers! "

Do you mean, "You should see my students' papers! " ?

Studiously ;-)
Pat

P.S. And I'm wondering about the query mark in that, um, query.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I found Eats, Shoots and Leaves entertaining. It isn't a single-bullet-solution, but it might be a nice refresher from the phone books.

[This message has been edited by halogen (edited September 26, 2007).]

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The fifteenth edition of the Chicago Manual of Style has a pretty solid section on grammar and usage.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, if you hate grammar but you want to use it properly, just read a lot of whatever you want to read. It will be absorbed by osmosis.

I know how to construct a sentence, and editors have never complained about my grammar, but I couldn't tell a gerund from participle if they wore name tags.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all. I'm going to go on amazon right now.

Oh, and Rick Norwood, you made me blush, you flatterer.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.