Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Posted a cut

Author Topic: Posted a cut
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is from Meg. Nicely written original; although there were places where I could cut 20-40%, the overall number was only about 15%.

I don't know if anyone cares about this besides me, but I find it interesting (though time-consuming and difficult) to document the process by which I make the cuts. It turns the intuitive into something more methodical. In fact, sometimes I say, "I don't see any way to trim that very well," but as I write that up, I realize that there are more things that I can do.

I think I need to codify what I'm learning about the intuitive process and turn it into something more methodical -- a "how-to" instead of a "watch this". In my free time, of course.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oliverhouse, I subscribe to your blog via my RSS reader, and I read it every time it's updated. I still have a piece I need to send you, but I'd like to give it at least one revision first. It's just a rough draft excerpt from my novel. I'll try to get it to you this weekend.

(better than my blog, which I've purposely not told anyone about )

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, lehollis. I have another item from Deb to cut, and then I'm open.

You use Google Reader? That's the only thing in my logs that I can see is an RSS reader. I'm glad you find it worthwhile. Occasionally I think I'm talking to a vacuum, but I think it would be worth doing even if I really were. Thanks for the support.

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Google Reader.

I know what you mean about talking in a vacuum, but it being worth it anyway. The reason for my own blog is that it helps me to think things through when I write about the. Many times, I summarize my own thoughts on discussions I see here. I also talk about my writing progress, as a sort of accountability measure.

EDIT: and the sample is sent

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited September 28, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Oliverhouse, I plug your blog all the time! I need to get an RSS feed working on my machine so I don't have to actively go LOOK for blog posts (I'm lazy, I've never bothered to figure this out...LOL) but, I talk about your cutting blog all the time. I think it's a great idea to try to codify what it is you do, because there are definite "rules" you are using, you might just not see them when you're in the moment. I'd be happy to help you when you get there (or be a reviewer, or whatever.)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.