Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Magic System

Author Topic: Magic System
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having real trouble with the magic system in my new novel. I just can't figure out how to make it work. I hate it when mages can throw around lightning spells and fireballs at will. But this story requires that there be magic. Magic is part of the premise of the novel. The main character, a non-magic user, acquires by accident--no, she isn't a lost prince, and it wasn't fate or a prophecy, just an accident--a powerful magical ability. She is not thrilled since she is now the center of attention of people who aren't thrilled that she has this ability.

But that also means that magic must be a part of the world. Mages running around doing all-powerful stuff. *crosses eyes*

I admit it. I dislike Zed in Wizard's First Rule and Pug in the Feist novels. (Not trying to start an argument, just stating a personal taste) Why bother to do anything when you have mages so powerful they can snap a finger and solve any possible problem?

So I am trying to figure out a useful, yet self-limiting magic system. I'm not the first to have this problem, but I'm a bit stumped. I don't like the "do magic and you lose a finger or have to make a human sacrifice" systems just because they seem like arbitrary, externally imposed ways of limiting the magic instead of intrinsic to it.

Yikes. So that leaves-- *pounds head on keyboard*

I have to figure this out. I should have before I started writing but I knew I could put it off for a while. Now I have to before I write another word. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 02, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Limit magic to only certain parts of life?
There can be food magic and maybe weather magic but no moving mountains or feeding ten thousand from a single bowl of rice?
Battlefield magic would be limited to things that food magic and weather magic and some other limited form of magic could affect? That would force you to be very creative with your people. So X can cast spells on soups and baking bread. Make pepper dance through the air and spread itself evenly over meat. How can she help defend the village from the huns sweeping across Europe?

You can cast short term spells only? Love potions that work for two days and only magic a sword to deflect blows for five hours or until sunset or sunrise?

Magic savings accounts? You have to work up some energy(?) that you can then use to do small stuff? Big stuff is only for hermits who spend a lifetime building up to one big, huge, tremendous single action? I bet they'd be real cagy about spending that lifetime's stored energy.

Oh! I like some of these ideas.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Three possible suggestions I could make...

1. Design the limits of your magic so that they are linked to the power inherent in your character, then have the effort required to generate significant magic become exceedingly difficult as the impressiveness of the magic conjured increases. Example - Lighting a candle with your finger requires an almost insignificant amount of power. Lighting a campfire, slightly more. Launching a fireball? Nigh impossible, or so costly that even the most skilled users could only cast one or two. Maybe set a terminal limit on magic too - if you over extend yourself, you fall into a near coma, you risk permanently retarding your abilities, death by power-drain, etc.

2. Limit the magic in your world to local-to-the-user. No casting fireballs, but if I touch you, I can burn you. I can't read your mind from across the room (let alone across the world), but if I touch you, I can see into your psyche. That would limit the usefulness of magic in terms of combat, at least to a certain degree.

3. Limit the number of magic users available in your world to some very low number - a dozen, let's say, strictly regimented through a caste-like system. They control the magic available in the world, allow others to learn the secrets of their power, but your MC received this knowledge (at least a rudimentary knowledge) by accident, and spends the rest of the book figuring out how to use it.

I'm sort of confused by your question, though. Basically, you're writing a story about a character who obtains powerful magical abilities, in a world where magic is present enough to be a significant part of the tale. But you also dislike powerful magical characters? I'm a little lost. Anyways, there are three ways to limit the magic available in your book.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

No, Wolfe_boy, I didn't say I dislike powerful magic characters. I said I dislike ALL-POWERFUL god-like magical characters.

There is a rather big difference. The magical ability my MC received is powerful in a fairly low magic world--magic exists and affects life though. It is nowhere near all-powerful nor does it make her even close to invincible.

There are many books where the magic user is powerful but limited in some way. Well, there are times when being god-like is appropriate.

In Godslayer by Jacqueline Carey, for instance, Sartoris is god-like because he is a GOD. No one else has this kind of power except the other gods. And even he eventually exhausts his power.

In Fesit's Pug books, I don't recall Pug ever exhausting his power. In Goodkind's books, Richard even comments that he doesn't have to bother to learn to use his sword because of its all powerful magic, and I won't even go into Zed.

Edit: There are, of course, a number of ways of limiting magic. The idea that the magic kills the magic user is one that has been around for a while. However, magic, for instance, can require a lot of education that is hard to get. It can require rare materials that are expensive or controlled by mages who don't want to share them. It can be given by the gods who don't give it to many people (the choice in my last two novels and I want to do something different).

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Talon Of Silver Hawk and its sequel (of which Pug is a character). Besides Farland's Sons Of The Oak, that was one of the most shallow books I've read in quite some time. Needless to say, I don't have a desire to check out more Feist.

I don't see a problem, though perhaps I'm not understanding it. If she has an ability that is so common that others are running around doing it, then it ceases to be "magic". Few would bat an eye. But make her uncommon enough in a world where such ablities are rare, then she becomes an object of fear. Thus, few would be thrilled.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Masterson
Member # 4799

- posted      Profile for Max Masterson   Email Max Masterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Like you mentioned one way of limiting magic is by making it require extensive study.

One of my favourite magic systems is to have the 'potential power' available in the world but it requires practice to take that potential and to convert it into something you can use. So a mage who is still an apprentice and has only been studying a short time is still unable to grasp that power and use it at all. A mage with a few years experience can take enough for a medium sized spell and use it but is still unable to take enough for a large spell or for more than one medium sized one. An old mage who has spent his life practicing and learning can do mutiple spells, but even he can only do so many before he reaches the limit of his expertise. (all the above can be per 24 hours, or until he next sleeps, or anything you like)

To accomodate your idea of your character becoming powerful in this magic without training you can have the potential for certain individuals to be born with an innate power to use the the magic without training. These special ones are natural mages and while still having a limit to how much magic they can use in your set limit are still better than the most experienced normal mage.

Like i say that is just one way but it is a favourite of mine.

Just to add. If you want the character to start the story as a non-magic user and then gain the talent just have these 'natural mages' develop the talent after puberty (or later) like robert jordan did in wheel of time series.

[This message has been edited by Max Masterson (edited October 02, 2007).]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Robert Jordan, he did have an interesting concept that was never fully explored (and limited to just the men): with power comes madness.

If everyone that used magic did so at the cost of their sanity, it work a number of ways:

1) Each use causes delusions or worse. Maybe sometimes friends appear as threatening enemies.
2) If the magic was powerful enough, it could create mutliple personae.
3) For each spell to work perfectly (varying with the power of the spell) the world-magic has complete control of your body for a period of time.
4) Maybe it's highly addictive--causes a person to turn on their friends, change their psyche, be a paranoid.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
OSC tells us that everything has a price, and it sounds like you are trying to figure out the price for your magical abilities.

The world of Dungeons and Dragons has a nice "price" system for magic users. Magic users are required to rest, in order to memorize their spells. Once cast, the spell goes out of their head until they can rest again. There is also the issue of spell components, ie, bat wings, feathers, dust, etc. These components are used up each time you cast a spell, so you had better have a supply on hand. The system isn't perfect, but it limits uncontrolled mages.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gog please do not use anything remotely like the AD&D system for magic...that works fine for an RPG but does not work in a novel format, as indicated by EVERY D&D novel out there that ignores that system.

The easiest way to put controls on the magic is commonality, only a small portion of the populace has the spark for manipulating mystical energies and discipline/knowledge.

If only 1% of the population can perform magic and to control it you need extensive training and discipline then you have already weeded out a good bit of flotsam.

I would say the study of magic and it's use would be just as involved as a specialized degree in medicine. So your looking at 12+ years of schooling, followed by a period of apprenticeship etc.

For the actual application of magic and it's cost I have always endorsed the mage is forcing reality to shift to satisfy the mages will, which would be mentally draining.

Starting a small fire, by exciting the atoms of the air to generate a spontaneous combustion is relatively simple, doing it at a distance would increase the difficulty, increasing the size of the combustion would likewise multiply the drain and so on.

The idea that an untrained or wilder mage could inadvertantly kill themselves or render themselves catatonic when they lose control of the forces they are manipulating fits right in.

I know if some short pieces I've written I kept the same underlying paradigm for how magic worked, but each society/school had it's own methodology for manipulating it. One group may use arcane language and incantation to help "focus" there will and increase there chance of success, over time groups trained that way would be psychologically dependent on those "spells" and "incantations" for performing their magic.

George RR Martin had a character called the "Turtle" in his Wild Card anthologies. The character had exceptionally powerful telekenisis, but because he had always operated within a floating vehicle, that he mentally flew, he developed a block where he could not use his powers outside the shell.

Pavlovian tendencies can give you some additional control in what works and why it works the way it does for some but not others.

Good luck!

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Chris, I did not say it was common or that was, at any rate, what I was trying to say.

Quite the contrary. The particular skill she acquires is totally outside the norm of magic and magic itself is not common in the society.

She acquires an ability that was developed by a certain mage to fight the particular "evil" that is coming about, but she was never intended to get it. Then through stuff happening (after all, it's a novel and stuff happens) and she ends up with this kind of "wild card" ability. Although it has to develop, the only real cost for this one particular ability is that it marks her very clearly and makes her a target for their enemies.

It is totally different than the other magic. Now I would find it absurd for her to be the only one with some form of magic. My inclination is toward developing some form of alchemy, but I can't quite put together an alchemical system that makes sense.

Whoever said I was trying to develop a "price" is to a large extent correct, but I'm also a bit stumped on the underlying logic of an alchemical system and how it would work in general. I believe that magic has to have a logic that you don't vary from. I actually tend to sweat more over magic systems than any other part of my stories.

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
It is simple to do. Most people with magic are detected as children and trained to control their magic. Their magic is sort of like a wild creature that one has to tame, to control. The children are immediately sent to a master mage who can bring them under control and discipline them to handle their "malady" in a useful way.

Your character has not shown signs of magic, has not had the training and has no idea how to control the magic. When her magic suddenly appears, she has no control over it. It does as much damage as it does good.

I would have it where magic tends to be extremely powerful when it appears. The mage has to learn how to suppress the power to use it. She does not have that training, so she has no control over it.

One sets limits on what their magic can do. I just realized that my discription of magic could be like a spirit creature that attaches to the person and does "work" for them once they gain control but that is not really what I am thinking of.

One cannot bring things to life. One cannot teleport. One cannot send things to one of the thirteen hells, One cannot conjure demons. Just keep deciding what you don't want the magic to do and that will tell you what they can do.

Peirs Anthoney's Pern series might give you an idea of what powerful magic can do, but also cannot do. Of course, in those stories, the magic the person has is just the wrong kind for the mission they find themselves doing.

Just throwing things against the wall. If any thing sticks, let us know and we can adjust our suggestions to that direction.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
How about conservation of energy? This is an extension of Jayson's #1 above.

The mage has only so much energy. It's depleted by lack of sleep, physical exertion, lack of food, illness, etc. just like any person's ability to do physical work. Energy is restored by rest and nutrition. The mage has to balance energy intake with both physical and magical use of energy. That applies in both the short and long run. A fat mage has more stored reserve than a smaller person for both magic and physical exertion.

There's some potential for a quick boost in an emergency, like a shot of adrenalin, but the toll is worse. The body, and likewise the magic, use energy less efficiently when its adrenalin-driven.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I am a bit insulted and trying to contain myself. *laughs*

Piers Anthony? I hardly will turn to Piers Anthony for learning a magic system, and I never said I had never read any work with magic in it. And Anne McCaffrey wrote the Dragonriders of Pern series. (Puns--I hate puns. I know someone who was mentored by Anthony though, and he's nice about helping out new writers, I hear.)

Well, I'm still leaning toward some kind of alchemical system, and maybe it could be difficult to learn, a bit like learning linear algebra--My downfall--and take many years to do. It might take a natural ability, just as higher math does and yet not be some kind of thing that you suddenly get at puberty, wild creature kind of thing, seems to me to be over-done.

I'm thinking anyone might learn it if they're willing to spend many years studying, but some would find it much easier than others and most might "flunk out" finding it about like taking calculus.

How does that sound? And then if it is alchemically based ingredients might be difficult to come by.

But I'm a bit vague on how you would use the alchemical stuff once you made it and what it would logically do.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
What would be an interesting take is to have the "magic" be an undesirable thing. Like a social handicap. It has to have its advantages, but it could come with some prettys evere disadvantages as well. And instead of your society looking at your character as a superhero or a harry potter, instead he's a kind of virus.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, using alchemy as the basis for magical prowess....

Maybe your MC accidentally finds some equivalent to the philosopher's stone, allowing her access to a particularly difficult and tedious branch of the science that masters need to work for decades to master? Does that work?

In my mind, though, alchemy has never been quite the equivalent for magic - it seems more like mystical chemistry. I guess if you crafted a new alchemical science, it could be more active in nature.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Alchemy as magic, I think in my mind that will forever belong to Full Metal Alchemist, which I enjoyed thoroughly (aside from the occassional bit of emotional-animation that always looks completely retarded)--but the point is the series giot someone like me (who is creeped out by anime) to enjoy a series and world, because of the questions driven by the magical system.

Not so much how it works, but what its limits are, and better yet the consequences of action. In this case "human alchemy" and what its consequences are, how that affects the balance of life, etc. very interesting, so your magic (or alchemy, or whatever) can work well for you especially if you can tie it to some fairly philosophically mature questions.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

Alchemy is a perfect example of what happens when you apply scientific principles and logic to magic. You get chemistry.

So long as you are comfortable playing a little loose with the physical properties of the chemical universe, you could just as easilly have chemistry developing many of the more fantastical properties that were believed when it was still Alchemy.

That a strong theme in the Gregory Keyes Age of Unreason novels (Newton's Cannon, etc.). For a more grounded approach where it's still alchemy and seems almost mystical, but is actually just basic chemistry check out Neil Stephensons Baroque Cycle novels (Quicksilver, System of the World, etc.)

Making it alchemical puts additional limiters on it as well. For costs you now have material availability, preparation time and fragility.

I'd look at what you want the magic to do and so long as it fits in an alchemical approach, I think you've solved your problem.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
So long as you are comfortable playing a little loose with the physical properties of the chemical universe, you could just as easilly have chemistry developing many of the more fantastical properties that were believed when it was still Alchemy.
Unfortunately I don't remember any very interesting properties being believed. I mean there was the making gold thing, but that isn't terribly exciting. I'm doing some research to try to find something but so far haven't found much.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you're taking the right direction, JeanneT.

(Forgive me if you know the following, I didn't 'cos I don't read fantasy 'cos unlimited magick annoys me. I hope sharing might help.)

Have you tried googling 'herbal alchemy' or 'online grimoire'? I think you may find some useful research lines there. For example, I learned that old magick books use animal parts as an esoteric code for herbs, e.g. bat's wings are holly leaves.

I love the word 'grimoire', apparently it means a kind of grammar for magic.

Also, it seems that better mages craft new spells for specific combinations of factors, e.g. rather than a generic spell for making us into fabulous million-seller writers, there'd be a spell specifically crafted for JeanneT and another, slightly different, for TaleSpinner. While the learning mage would use a generic with limited effect, the virtuoso would craft something special and more powerful for each of us.

Another grimoire suggested that herbs must be harvested with tools of the right material, gold for example, presumably to preserve the magical properties in the same way as tea made in a china pot tastes way better than tea made in a plastic one.

And also there was a suggestion that the alignment of the moon, planets etc matters.

Thus the limits appear to come from knowledge and learning, innate ability, availability of the right herbs and materials, time of year, etc.

There would perhaps be an interesting limit from a plot perspective in that the strength of the magic could depend on the mage's knowledge of the person or people that the magic should affect, forcing her to get to know them. She'd have more influence over someone she knows well, less over a stranger and very little over the masses.

I hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to have magic if you have chemistry, if you study the history (Sorry chem minor speaking here)You see for most of the history of the world chemistry was seen as 'magic' people believed all sorts of things, like phlogiston (The thing that makes fire burn) and that one could make one element change to another. They had only four elements (a fifth one added later)and they categorized everything into those groupings. . .all good concepts if you want to create a magical world based on chemistry.

It's very nifty stuff and even if you decide to have magic in your story that is nothing like the real stuff; learning little about the history of chemistry would be beneficial to showing how regular people in your world react to this magic of yours.
(I would try looking 'alchemy' or 'history of chemistry' or 'phlogiston')

Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I laugh.
Tigertinite said -- people believed all sorts of things, like that one could make one element change to another.

So do physicists today!

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

It's called nuclear fusion :-)

Greek fire was a product of "alchemy" adding esoteric and hard to find materials would also provide plenty of fodder for performing unusual effects.

Japanese and chinese herbal remedies are worth looking into, holistic medicine and other non traditional "alchemical" disciplines.

In you world adding a teaspoon of bile from the stomach of a sea lion with powedered narwhale horn, ground with an ivory pestle and dissolved in a pregnant cows first milk (i.e. colostrum) provides a temporary immunity to poisons and purges poisons already in someones system. Performing the same ritual on the Winter solstice while at a junction of two or more ley lines produxes the opposite and you create a poison which can only be cured by the non poison version of itself. You see where I'm going with this.

Have fun...

lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speaking of Robert Jordan, he did have an interesting concept that was never fully explored (and limited to just the men): with power comes madness.

Actually, my recent novel has a similar concept. One form of magic is called witchcraft, where one has to open themselves up to possession by spirits, which eventually leads to madness, along with the risk of permanent possession. It has to do with the mind being opening up to the psyche of a completely alien being.

Sadly, the the magic isn't full explored in the novel. I plan to go much deeper into it in the revision.

The cost of alchemy is merely time, study, and expensive materials.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, in my own WIP, I tend to think of magic in terms of physics. (I can't help it, I'm a physicist.) What could someone do, if they had access to a large quantity of raw, unharnessed energy?

Heating molecules in the air, and starting a fire? Easy.
Moving something by telekenesis? Easy.
CREATING a single atom of hydrogen, or anything else, out of nothing? Requires as much energy as an atomic bomb. I don't think so.

In this way, even my super-talented nearly-unstoppable magic users aren't "godlike" in their powers. There are some physical processes that would just take too much energy. And some things (bringing someone back from the dead, creating life from lifelessness, etc) is just beyond the realm of pure untapped energy.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

That whole conservation of mass thing does make something for nothing kind of tricky :-)

Hell even the potterverse just transmuted.

JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
You don't have to have magic if you have chemistry, if you study the history (Sorry chem minor speaking here)You see for most of the history of the world chemistry was seen as 'magic' people believed all sorts of things, like phlogiston (The thing that makes fire burn) and that one could make one element change to another. They had only four elements (a fifth one added later)and they categorized everything into those groupings. . .all good concepts if you want to create a magical world based on chemistry.
It's very nifty stuff and even if you decide to have magic in your story that is nothing like the real stuff; learning little about the history of chemistry would be beneficial to showing how regular people in your world react to this magic of yours.
(I would try looking 'alchemy' or 'history of chemistry' or 'phlogiston')

Maybe you are the one that needs to do a little research. What do you think Roger Bacon and Isaac Newton studied? Guess what--it was alchemy. Get off your high horse. the "history of chemistry" is irrelevant.

And thanks so much for suggesting I do research. I would have never considered doing something so basic.

But then you're a chem major, rather than a chemist. Youth probably explains a bit.

Talespinner said: "I didn't 'cos I don't read fantasy 'cos unlimited magick annoys me."

Hold on there, hoss. Not all fantasy has unlimited magic. I don't read Sci/Fi because it has unlimited techno-babble. *grins*

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited October 04, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.